Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

1 bedroom flat conversion into 2 bedroom

Covering Market, Trends, and Practical (but see LEMON-AID for Building & DIY)
GSD82

1 bedroom flat conversion into 2 bedroom

Postby GSD82 » November 29th, 2016, 6:15 pm

Dear all,

I would be grateful for any advice.

I am living in a large spacious one bedroom flat that could potentially converted into a two bedroom flat. It has a large reception room and a large separate kitchen.

The plan would be to convert the kitchen into a second bedroom and move the kitchen into the living room.

The questions I have where to find an architect who may have experience of this. So far the architects I have looked at locally cater for much larger projects - as I think its important to employ clever design to maximise space in the new set up and secondly would the lease need to be amended.

Im sure I would need building regulation approval.

Many thanks

Guppy

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Re: 1 bedroom flat conversion into 2 bedroom

Postby Clitheroekid » November 29th, 2016, 9:25 pm

GSD82 wrote:The questions I have where to find an architect who may have experience of this ... and secondly would the lease need to be amended.

Without knowing where you are you obviously won't get any specific recommendations, but this is helpful general advice - http://hoa.org.uk/advice/guides-for-hom ... architect/

Yes, you would definitely need the consent of the freeholder and if there is a separate management company you would probably need their consent as well. In fact you should approach them first on an `in principle' basis, as there's no point spending money on architects and so on, only to discover you can't get permission.

If they refuse permission you should check your lease, as it's often the case that such permission can't be unreasonably withheld, which would give you the right to challenge the refusal.

Also, if you have a mortgage you will almost certainly need your mortgage lender's consent.

Moosehoose

Postby Moosehoose » November 30th, 2016, 1:34 pm

I did this to a flat in Glasgow 15 years ago, it worked well.
I used a part time retired architect found locally it worked out well.

If there are a number of similar flats in your area, maybe some will be converted already and if so the plans should be publicly available from your council.

Good luck

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » November 30th, 2016, 4:55 pm

As Moosehouse suggests are you aware of any neighbouring/nearby property that have done similar?
Do your council put planning applications online? If so you can study them, perhaps including the drawings online. If not online they'll hold physical copies at the town hall and you have a right to inspect them and take photocopies. If you get to such a point you might not need an architect at all, rather an A3 pad and some 'drawing pens' to submit your own [thus inspired] application.
Also read the latest council local plan to see what their current parameters are on permitted development. If a neighbour in a similar property has done similar to what you have in mind in recent years the council might have a hard job denying you due to their precedent set.

Flipping the position of a kitchen will need Building Control approval re: drainage etc. Perhaps too if you're moving load-bearing walls. Just one step at a time, if possible see if neighbours in similar properties have managed to get anything similar done. Go and try to speak to a council planning officer, if you manage to, even briefly, they can be very helpful.

I was in a position too once where I had a project in mind and local architects told me [scoffingly] 'We normally don't deal with projects as small as this'. If they're not going to get their maximum pound of flesh from you then they're simply not interested IME, as apparently there are plenty more mugs with money to burn. I got permission myself, but by then was living abroad so in no position to directly instruct builders, and ended up selling the place with PP, BC and freeholder's consent.

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » November 30th, 2016, 7:37 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:Do your council put planning applications online? If so you can study them, perhaps including the drawings online. If not online they'll hold physical copies at the town hall and you have a right to inspect them and take photocopies. If you get to such a point you might not need an architect at all, rather an A3 pad and some 'drawing pens' to submit your own [thus inspired] application.

Just a note of caution here. Plans prepared by architects are copyright, and using them without their consent could land you with a claim for copyright infringement.

This Is not purely hypothetical, as I acted for an architect a few years ago in a successful claim, and it cost the defendant several thousand quid.

You might think that the chances of getting caught are minimal, but the local architects have a close relationship with the planning department, and if the planners see drawings submitted that look familiar they're quite likely to tip the architect off.

GSD82

Postby GSD82 » December 1st, 2016, 10:22 am

Dear All,

Many thanks. I have been able to recruit my friends wife who is an architect to make some drawings and been in touch with a local building regulation company who will help submit and ensure meets planning regulations.

Management company suggest it shouldn't be too difficult as long as building regulations are met and board of directors are satisfied with the plans.

3 challenges really -
1. Drainage and electrics for the new kitchen
2. Intelligent design so to maximise space - been advised to look up new build studio flats for ideas.
3. Submitting the plans correctly.

I will keep you all posted.

I will look up council planning website.

Many thanks for your time

Guppy

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » December 1st, 2016, 1:16 pm

GSD82 wrote:3 challenges really -
1. Drainage and electrics for the new kitchen
2. Intelligent design so to maximise space - been advised to look up new build studio flats for ideas.
3. Submitting the plans correctly.

Also check your lease, it should have a copy of your current floorplan in it. It might [or should?] also show the floorplans of other flats in the buildings. That will provide an insight into how any internal load-bearing walls are positioned vertically through the building.

Your 3 points [keep in mind I'm not an expert, but have done a few large projects with architects/PP/BC and so on]...

1) The architect should have a good handle on this. You mention a 'building regulation company' and if that's what you meant then clearly they should have the whole A-Z on such matters.
2) This is a good time to have cultivated a couple of estate agent contacts. Send or show them a copy of the current plan and ask them how they'd get the max out of it. They can just pencil in suggestions they think should work. If no pre-exisiting contacts IME ask the negotiator in the office with most grey hair instead on the newbie staff :) And/or the person who tends to handle property developers/dealers, adding max value at minimal cost is their bread and butter.
2b) If you haven't already sign up with local agents, and/or collective listing sites to receive e-mail updates on new listings. You'll soon spot listings with good ideas you hadn't thought of, and vice versa things you conclude don't quite work for you. It's also a good way to keep abreast with current good design ideas/looks/colour-sschemes etc
2c) Once you've drafted a 'proposed plan' you can make paper approx to scale cut-outs of your largest items of furniture [I usually just trim out bits of the sticky part of post-it notes], cut them approx to the same scale of your proposed drawing. Attach them to your plan and consider the ergonomics, i.e. how you'd navigate the space, get from the bedroom to the front-door, bathroom to kitchen etc etc. You are seeking 'flow', ie not having to constantly navigate around sofas, chests, TVs and so on. [Similar for the kitchen, if you haven't though of the 'kitchen work triangle', relative placing of the fridge/oven/sink+work-space then Google it, it makes complete sense when you see it's simplicity]. I had a plan almost fixed in mind, and then on the off-chance in chatting with a female friend [working mother, knew what a busy home is like] showed her a copy of my plan, and she immediately pointed to a couple of points that I could improve, including ^the kitchen work triangle. Different people see things differently, so no harm running it past friends.
3) IME the application forms come with clear notes. If you submit them in person ask the desk officer if everything appears in order. Even if something missing later crops-up they'll soon let you know.

I'd be interested to hear how you get on with this, good luck!

Greenfingers

Postby Greenfingers » December 1st, 2016, 10:30 pm

As you say, main problem will be logistics. Electrics should be easy enough to resolve with a competent electrician. But, you will struggle to relocate the mains fuse box and meter as that work can only be done by UK Power Networks I think. Drainage from the kitchen could be done with a pump as a last resort. Also need to think about location of the combi-boiler and in particular it's flue (assuming gas).

Return to “Property Investment Discussions”