Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Energy suppliers

Making your money go further
staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Re: Energy suppliers

Postby staffordian » January 13th, 2017, 9:41 pm

Along, I suspect, with others here, I swapped supplier to Flow Energy's MSE/MSM fixed tariff.

I've today received emails asking for readings within five days to process the transfer.

I'd set up my online account a week or two back, after receiving the introductory email/letter with my account number, so logged in to give the opening readings. However under the meter readings section, it said no meters were registered.

I've emailed the readings instead, using the contact form on their site, but I just wondered if anyone else had come across this issue?

If I don't get any confirmation or further correspondence from them in a few days I'll ring them, but thought I'd check here if anyone else had come across this.

Thanks,

Staffordian

pendas
2 Lemon pips

Postby pendas » January 16th, 2017, 9:27 am

I've tried to submit first readings today and have come across exactly the same problem.

I've emailed them the readings after a bit of palaver with the site taking me back to the log in and mentioned it.

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » January 16th, 2017, 9:34 am

pendas wrote:I've tried to submit first readings today and have come across exactly the same problem.

I've emailed them the readings after a bit of palaver with the site taking me back to the log in and mentioned it.

The day after I posted my previous message I received another email from Flow, this time with a link to an online form into which I could enter opening readings. In spite of already having emailed the readings, I entered them again on this form and, just for good measure emailed them again to tell them what I'd done.

Will give them a few more days to see what happens.

I'm guessing if they got the full three thousand odd new customers, they are probably a bit busy at the moment.

Staffordian

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Postby Mike88 » January 16th, 2017, 9:37 am

I am on the same deal as the original poster. I have switched to a small provider which did't appear on the comparison sites but seemed to be the cheapest and cheaper than the deal with Eon.

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » January 16th, 2017, 9:42 am

Mike88 wrote:I am on the same deal as the original poster. I have switched to a small provider which did't appear on the comparison sites but seemed to be the cheapest.

As a matter of interest, which did you choose, so I can add it to my list when I'm next looking?

Thanks

Staffordian

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Postby Mike88 » January 16th, 2017, 9:48 am

staffordian wrote:
Mike88 wrote:I am on the same deal as the original poster. I have switched to a small provider which did't appear on the comparison sites but seemed to be the cheapest.

As a matter of interest, which did you choose, so I can add it to my list when I'm next looking?

Thanks

Staffordian

The firm is Bristol Energy. I am unsure whether the company now exists in the comparison tables but it didn't when I started my switch some time ago using the 50 day tariff free exit penalty to effect an early transfer.

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » January 16th, 2017, 10:10 am

Thanks Mike88

Bminusrob
Lemon Slice

Postby Bminusrob » January 16th, 2017, 9:33 pm

I went through the process of switching electricity suppliers recently (we don't have mains gas), as our EDF fixed rate was about to finish. EDF have been very good. We have stayed with then for two fixed periods, but the emailed to say that there were better deals available than they could offer, given our usage pattern.

I did a check using Go Compare, and the best rate available was from Robin Hood, who I had never heard of, but turn out to be Nottingham City Council running a not for profit electricity supply company. The switch, to date, has been very smooth, and unobtrusive. They also don't have tie in period, so if I don't get on with them, I can switch again without having to pay.

Looking good so far.

Paultry
2 Lemon pips

Postby Paultry » January 16th, 2017, 10:11 pm

Over the last five years we have consumed on average 15,250 KWH of energy per year, of which approximately a fifth is electricity the rest being gas.

We were with British gas but moved to Extra Energy for 2015 and 2016 and from this month to Iresa energy because the daily rate and unit rate were lower.

Last year we used 2,800 KWH electricity, and 12,250 KWH gas, total cost £747.

We hope this year will be cheaper since we replaced two windows and lined a cold wall with a multilayer thermal lining. We 'think' we already notice a difference.

I will report the price of 2017 in twelve months.

Paul

pendas
2 Lemon pips

Postby pendas » January 18th, 2017, 1:23 pm

My changeover to Flow isn't going quite as well as I hoped.

I've had a reply to my meter reading submission stating that they can't enter the electricity readings I've supplied as they don't know which is the night reading and which is the daytime. I'm on Economy Seven and I used the terminology on the meter which is 'Low' and 'Normal' when submitting them. I've now clarified this as 'night' and 'day'.

They've not responded to the fact I have been unable to enter the readings directly in my account, but have claimed for a second time to have amended their records to stop addressing me as Reverend. :?

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » January 18th, 2017, 2:12 pm

pendas wrote: but have claimed for a second time to have amended their records to stop addressing me as Reverend.

That, rather worryingly, suggests they have staff who don't understand how to use their computer systems, or possibly that they are using systems with bugs.

Gaggsy
Lemon Slice

Postby Gaggsy » January 18th, 2017, 3:47 pm

Did your previous supplier offer you a new fixed rate deal when the old when was due to expire?
Mine did. I decided to stay with them at the new 2 year fixed rate even though this was more expensive than before and also slightly higher than other providers.

On the day before the old tarriff expired I sent them meter readings using their very helpful app. Unfortunately, my finger slipped when entering the reading (and those meters are awfully difficult to read aren't they?) and I accidently entered a much higher reading than i should have at the old rates. The app wouldn't allow me to correct my reading. Oh dear, what a shame. ;)

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » January 19th, 2017, 10:48 pm

Gaggsy wrote:On the day before the old tarriff expired I sent them meter readings using their very helpful app. Unfortunately, my finger slipped when entering the reading (and those meters are awfully difficult to read aren't they?) and I accidently entered a much higher reading than i should have at the old rates. The app wouldn't allow me to correct my reading. Oh dear, what a shame. ;)

I don't wish to worry you, but what happens if the meter (actual) hasn't caught up with the reading you gave before the next time an actual meter reader visits?

Gaggsy
Lemon Slice

Postby Gaggsy » January 20th, 2017, 9:45 am

chas49 wrote:I don't wish to worry you, but what happens if the meter (actual) hasn't caught up with the reading you gave before the next time an actual meter reader visits?

Don't think I've seen an actual meter reader since I've been with this supplier.
Anyway, it was an accident. Your honour. er...

CatcheeMonkee
Lemon Pip

Postby CatcheeMonkee » January 20th, 2017, 2:54 pm

Gaggsy wrote:On the day before the old tariff expired I sent them meter readings using their very helpful app. Unfortunately, my finger slipped when entering the reading (and those meters are awfully difficult to read aren't they?) and I accidently entered a much higher reading than I should have at the old rates. The app wouldn't allow me to correct my reading. Oh dear, what a shame. ;)

Somewhat unfortunately for you, that much higher reading will be passed on to your old supplier for their final bill. Looks like you'll be paying for a lot of electricity upfront, and on your old expensive tariff, too!

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » January 20th, 2017, 4:44 pm

CatcheeMonkee wrote:
Gaggsy wrote:On the day before the old tariff expired I sent them meter readings using their very helpful app. Unfortunately, my finger slipped when entering the reading (and those meters are awfully difficult to read aren't they?) and I accidently entered a much higher reading than I should have at the old rates. The app wouldn't allow me to correct my reading. Oh dear, what a shame. ;)

Somewhat unfortunately for you, that much higher reading will be passed on to your old supplier for their final bill. Looks like you'll be paying for a lot of electricity upfront, and on your old expensive tariff, too!

Gaggsy is staying with his provider and moving to a higher tariff (arent we all?!). So his unfortunate error won't cost him ;)

Staffordian

CatcheeMonkee
Lemon Pip

Postby CatcheeMonkee » January 21st, 2017, 9:08 am

Oh, yes, I must learn to read!! :-)

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » January 22nd, 2017, 6:58 am

Gaggsy wrote:Did your previous supplier offer you a new fixed rate deal when the old when was due to expire?
Mine did. I decided to stay with them at the new 2 year fixed rate even though this was more expensive than before and also slightly higher than other providers.

On the day before the old tarriff expired I sent them meter readings using their very helpful app. Unfortunately, my finger slipped when entering the reading (and those meters are awfully difficult to read aren't they?) and I accidently entered a much higher reading than i should have at the old rates. The app wouldn't allow me to correct my reading. Oh dear, what a shame. ;)

Right back in 1990 I paid British Gas's estimated bill in full for my first quarter in a flat.

At the end of a year there, I had used those units more-or-less exactly, and BG made an actual reading. They tried to re-bill my usage at the higher rate that had applied after the date of their first 'estimate'. I pointed out that I had paid in full for the number of units shown on that first bill. I also invited them to pay interest on that money, though I didn't press that point.

Their numbers, not mine. :mrgreen:

Return to “Living Below Your Means”