Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Energy Cost per UNIT

Making your money go further
BusyBumbleBee
Lemon Slice

Energy Cost per UNIT

Postby BusyBumbleBee » February 19th, 2017, 1:42 pm

It is incredibly difficult to find out all the actual energy prices. Price comparison sites are a real pain as they seem to work out what you might (or probably might not) save based on some really odd set of rules.

I run a spread sheet to work out what I will be charged and do not rely on the comparison sites at all. So I need good information - as do all other Fools really,

This is the latest Energy Price List from OVO
https://www.ovoenergy.com/binaries/cont ... .01.16.pdf.

My current fix with them is way, way below these prices and does not run out till November so no great hurry to switch - but just as importantly I have a lot invested in solar and wind farms - which will see yields go up if electric prices continue to rise.

But then have a look at this one which seems to me to one of the very cheapest - much cheaper than OVO and these are March 2017 prices!

https://www.cooperativeenergy.coop/site ... -table.pdf

If other Fools can find the tariffs laid out like the above, I think it would be very helpful if they could post the links on this thread. But the big six seem determined to hide them away somewhere although I did find this one
http://sse.com/media/448101/SSE0620-SSE ... 090117.pdf

Stompa
Lemon Slice

Re: Energy Cost per UNIT

Postby Stompa » February 19th, 2017, 3:27 pm

I too use a spreadsheet for this. The comparison sites do show the unit prices, just not in the nice tabular form that you're after, instead they present you with a list of tariffs along with how much you'll save (or not!). If you click on each entry then the unit price will normally be in there somewhere (I've yet to find one where it isn't), usually along with an explanation of how they did the calculation.

Stompa

BusyBumbleBee
Lemon Slice

Postby BusyBumbleBee » February 19th, 2017, 7:57 pm

Stompa wrote:I too use a spreadsheet for this. The comparison sites do show the unit prices, just not in the nice tabular form that you're after, instead they present you with a list of tariffs along with how much you'll save (or not!). If you click on each entry then the unit price will normally be in there somewhere (I've yet to find one where it isn't), usually along with an explanation of how they did the calculation.
Stompa

Agreed - But its not terribly helpful to Fools in other parts of the country as they only give the prices for your postcode. The ones I gave cover the whole country.

Frankly its the sort of document that should be up on the Ofgem site

Stompa
Lemon Slice

Postby Stompa » February 19th, 2017, 8:52 pm

BusyBumbleBee wrote:Agreed - But its not terribly helpful to Fools in other parts of the country as they only give the prices for your postcode. The ones I gave cover the whole country.

Yes, but people only need the prices for their own location, or am I missing something?

BusyBumbleBee wrote:Frankly its the sort of document that should be up on the Ofgem site

Well I agree that would be nice, but it would need to be constantly maintained to ensure it is up to date. The comparison sites already provide a 'user friendly' interface to that data, and some (all?) are Ofgem accredited. An added difficulty is that some tariffs (e.g collective tariffs) are not normally shown on comparison sites.

Stompa

BusyBumbleBee
Lemon Slice

Postby BusyBumbleBee » February 20th, 2017, 11:13 am

Yes, but people only need the prices for their own location, or am I missing something?

Ah, yes - but if I post a good price it will only apply to my region if the data is gathered off the comparison sites - not so much use for a
Fool that lives in a different region.

Stompa
Lemon Slice

Postby Stompa » February 20th, 2017, 12:45 pm

BusyBumbleBee wrote:

Ah, yes - but if I post a good price it will only apply to my region if the data is gathered off the comparison sites - not so much use for a
Fool that lives in a different region.

Fair enough, but posting good prices is always problematic as there are so many variables. And tariffs come and go so frequently:

https://www.ukpower.co.uk/home_energy/price_updates

that it would be hard to monitor them all yourself.

Stompa

Return to “Living Below Your Means”