Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Washer Dryer Bust

Making your money go further
GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Re: Washer Dryer Bust

Postby GeoffF100 » November 21st, 2016, 12:42 pm

My slightly over-weight load had tangled a little. Best to keep to under one swing bin of washing, which should be possible with four washes per week.

The purpose of the moisturiser is to retain moisture by setting up a greasy barrier outside the skin. The retained moisture makes the skin cells expand and blocks the gaps between them. This helps keep out whatever is causing the problem. If the skin has just been washed when the moisturiser has been applied, this helps, because there is then more moisture to seal in. Showering with plain water twice a day is cheap, and the NHS pays for the moisturiser, which is expensive if it is heavy duty and you use it head to foot. This strategy is working. I do get itches, but I can almost always zap them with more moisturiser. The only potential side effect is the fire hazard. The moisturiser is mostly paraffin.

Stompa
Lemon Slice

Postby Stompa » November 21st, 2016, 12:56 pm

melonfool wrote:
midnightcatprowl wrote:
Thanks stompa. I was about to buy the machine Mel bought (I want the option of the higher spin speed) but was put off by the lack of the option of spin only. I'd actually looked at the manual online but been unable to spot a spin only programme and some of the reviewers were complaining about the lack of spin only. But after what you've said I'm back to the idea of buying that model.

I can confirm it worked! And it is a great machine actually.

I'm glad it worked. I'm not sure I'd describe it as a great machine though, the spin is much noisier than than my old 1200rpm machine, and doesn't seem to dry as well. FWIW here is what Which has to say about it:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost ... stcount=35

which I didn't discover until after I'd bought it!

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » November 21st, 2016, 1:10 pm

There is a 1400 spin speed version of mine:

http://www.sonicdirect.co.uk/prod/Washi ... g-2yr-Gtee

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » November 21st, 2016, 2:08 pm

Stompa wrote:I'm glad it worked. I'm not sure I'd describe it as a great machine though, the spin is much noisier than than my old 1200rpm machine, and doesn't seem to dry as well. FWIW here is what Which has to say about it:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost ... stcount=35

which I didn't discover until after I'd bought it!

I read a gazillion Which? reports before I bought it and I can confirm that about 70% of them said the spin was noisy, so I discounted that as a negative. I could only conclude that the people who tested them had never actually sat and thought about how loud a spin was before. We were amazed how quiet it was compared to our old one but we know the bearings were going on the old one so that could have made it louder.

It wasn't anything like as much as that price you've quoted though, so maybe it's a slightly different model? They seem to have a lot that are more or less the same.

The clothes come out dryer than our old one too.

Mel

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » November 21st, 2016, 3:28 pm

I have to say that quietness is not a virtue of my machine. I expect that the noise conforms to the numbers in the specification though, and apart from the spin it is not intrusive even in an open plan house. The 1200 spin is noisy enough though.

I believe the main virtues of my machine are cost and simple controls. It does not have all the functions of some of the more expensive models though. I got it for less than the web price from a local firm. Even so, for £240 I am not going to get the Rolls-Royce of washing machines. Nonetheless, it appears to be a decent machine at at a reasonable price. The only obvious downside is that the manual is not as good as it might be.

Hariseldon58
Lemon Slice

Postby Hariseldon58 » December 2nd, 2016, 7:56 pm

For many years I bought the cheapest machine with a credit card that came with a free 2 year warranty extension on three registered appliances a year.
New machine came with 1 or 2 year warranty , so that I had 3 or 4 year warranty and I would simply throw put the device outside on the pavement at the first failure (from whence it would vanish in an hour or two) and I would get get a machine at a cost of about a £1 a week.

I can see the downside of this policy...so I got a Miele with a deal on the 10 year parts and labour guarantee , for £700 total, cost will be £70 a year at worst and the machine works very efficiently compared to the cheap machines.

Gfplux

Postby Gfplux » December 14th, 2016, 8:03 pm

My wife believes that washing powder/softener/etc manufacturers always overstate the quantity required for a wash. On that basis she has for over 30 years used less than half the manufactures recommended doses with no apparent harm.

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » December 16th, 2016, 9:52 am

My first test was Easy Care (Synthetic) at 40 degrees C with 30 ml of non-bio detergent, the recommended amount for medium water softness and medium soiling. 45 ml is recommended for hard water or heavy soiling. I do not have hard water, but I do have smelly clothes. The results were OK.

I tried 30 degrees C, with 20 ml of detergent. Result: smelly socks and underpants.

I reverted to 40 degrees C with 30 ml of non-bio detergent. Result: underpants fine, but with a faint almost undetectable smell on the socks.

I am now experimenting with soaking the socks in bio detergent for a few hours before washing them in the machine.

Smelly towels are fine on the more aggressive Cotton cycle at 40 degrees C with 30 ml of non-bio detergent.

splosh
Lemon Pip

Postby splosh » December 19th, 2016, 10:13 am

My wife believes that washing powder/softener/etc manufacturers always overstate the quantity required for a wash. On that basis she has for over 30 years used less than half the manufactures recommended doses with no apparent harm.

I was told years ago that the biggest challenge for the chemists developing laundry products was to make them work okay both for the people who parsimoniously put in half the specified quantity, and for the gung-ho folk who threw in loads of the stuff.

I took this as encouragement to continue in my skinflint ways.

One of these days the Hoover washer-dryer we bought in April 2000 will expire and this kind of thread will hold more than mere academic interest for me. I don't think I've actually used the dryer for about 15 years, so I expect we won't bother with replacing that function...

splosh

Return to “Living Below Your Means”