Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Amazon Prime for £59 (ends today 18 Nov)

Making your money go further
Satsuma
Lemon Slice

Amazon Prime for £59 (ends today 18 Nov)

Postby Satsuma » November 18th, 2016, 11:56 am

Just a heads-up if you will make use of the benefits and have DYOR etc - may be a good deal for Christmas/Black Friday/Jan sales shopping. Also stuff like Video, Audiobooks, Kindle library, Music etc.

Just went to the homepage and there was a large banner on the top of the page. Says the offer ends today though. And don't forget to diarise before it auto-renews in a year.

I have also learned that you can share Prime with your household too, so adults can have their own accounts, but also get the (e.g.) Prime delivery benefits.

Sats

(PS. Please let's not be the new LBYM where everyone wades in to point out how Amazon is horrid/waste of money/you can knit your own yoghurt for cheaper at home etc.)

brianpreston

Re: Amazon Prime for £59 (ends today 18 Nov)

Postby brianpreston » November 18th, 2016, 12:01 pm

Satsuma wrote:I have also learned that you can share Prime with your household too, so adults can have their own accounts, but also get the (e.g.) Prime delivery benefits.[/i]

Now I did not know that. Will add the other half to my Prime account. Thanks.

'By creating an Amazon Household, both adults can share the following benefits:
•Share access to select Prime benefits: Unlimited One-Day Delivery plus Same-Day Delivery in eligible areas, Prime Video, Prime Early Access, and Kindle Owners’ Lending Library. Both adults can also enjoy 20% off nappies subscriptions and a 15% Baby Registry completion discount, compliments of Amazon Family.
•Digital content: Share eBooks, apps and games in your Family Library.
•Fire for Kids: Both adults can manage Fire for Kids child profiles. Children in the Household can enjoy the benefits for digital content sharing. '

CatcheeMonkee
Lemon Pip

Postby CatcheeMonkee » November 18th, 2016, 12:06 pm

Jeremy Clarkson & Co's new show is online from today, too. To watch, you'll need Amazon Prime and a Fire Stick / suitable Smart TV etc. (I was wondering, what is wrong with home-knitted yoghurt, anyway?? ;-) )

Devjon
2 Lemon pips

Postby Devjon » November 18th, 2016, 7:20 pm

I took out Prime over a year ago when it was on offer at £59. I have watched several TV series, and as I often buy from Amazon the free next day delivery was good to have ( On several occasions I have declined the next day delivery, chosen 2-3 business days and received £1 Amazon credit for so doing.)
When I got the Email to remind me that my membership would be renewing automatically I chose to cancel as I suspected that another price cut might be in the offing. My Prime Membership expired on the 14th and I was able to sign up at the reduced rate on the 15th :D

With regard to the ability to borrow from the Kindle Library, this is restricted to one book per month per account, so my other half has to wait for me to finish and "return" the book I am reading before she can borrow a book herself.

ThirdWay

Postby ThirdWay » November 20th, 2016, 1:04 pm

I'm curious to understand why people need the "free" next day delivery option that comes with Prime.

Don't get me wrong, I use Amazon regularly. But I've never once needed to buy something that I couldn't wait a couple of days for.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » November 20th, 2016, 3:14 pm

ThirdWay wrote:I'm curious to understand why people need the "free" next day delivery option that comes with Prime.

Don't get me wrong, I use Amazon regularly. But I've never once needed to buy something that I couldn't wait a couple of days for.

I don't have Prime, but if I did the free delivery would be a major benefit, merely to avoid having a minimum order size. As you say, the time to deliver is of lesser importance.

Scott.

Satsuma
Lemon Slice

Postby Satsuma » November 21st, 2016, 8:16 am

I don't have Prime, but if I did the free delivery would be a major benefit, merely to avoid having a minimum order size. As you say, the time to deliver is of lesser importance.

Interestingly, it is not "only" free next day delivery. My OH was doing some shopping over the weekend, and was very pleased to find he could actually select a specific day delivery, which - to us anyway - is more of a benefit than next day and I am not sure why Amazon don't market that aspect better.

We have also got a lot of stuff lined up to watch on Amazon video now too, including, finally, Fear The Walking Dead which I have been wanting to see since it was launched!

Pheidippides
2 Lemon pips

Postby Pheidippides » November 21st, 2016, 9:43 am

Thanks for the heads-up. Downside is I am now hooked on even MORE things to keep up with - Fear the Walking dead amongst the list.

Mind you, it was fun watching Pacific Rim again - I saw the film on a transatlantic flight, much better on a big screen, the picture quality was excellent, considering it was thrown from my ipad to Apple TV - very impressed

Regards

Pheid

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » November 21st, 2016, 10:51 am

I looked at this deal but couldn't find a use for it so didn't sign up this time. I feel like I must be missing something about it.

I buy loads on Amazon, over 100 orders this year already apparently (though some will be Kindle). But, like Thirdway, I've never needed next day delivery that I can recall. We also wouldn't need specific day delivery, OH is at home most days and if not they tend to leave things at the back or with a neighbour.

Re Kindle, OH and I already share our Kindle accounts.

But, on a practical note, if you had it for the 'family', would the other person see what you had bought them for Christmas/see all your orders?

We are going to sign up to a free thirty day trial in a few days, so it runs over the Christmas period and we can see how we feel about it. We did a free trial with Netflix and ran out of things to watch after a couple of weeks, so cancelled it.

Mel

oxmatt
Lemon Pip

Postby oxmatt » November 22nd, 2016, 1:37 pm

melonfool wrote:But, on a practical note, if you had it for the 'family', would the other person see what you had bought them for Christmas/see all your orders?

Mel

No - you keep your own amazon accounts, wish lists, order history etc but most of the prime benefits are shared.

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » November 22nd, 2016, 2:44 pm

oxmatt wrote:
melonfool wrote:But, on a practical note, if you had it for the 'family', would the other person see what you had bought them for Christmas/see all your orders?

Mel

No - you keep your own amazon accounts, wish lists, order history etc but most of the prime benefits are shared.

Thank you, that is handy, so when we do the trial at least I don't have to worry about that!

Mel

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 22nd, 2016, 3:50 pm

ThirdWay wrote:I'm curious to understand why people need the "free" next day delivery option that comes with Prime.

"Next day" is old school. Amazon's new strategy is same-day delivery and, in the future, "two hour delivery". In the US they are building warehouses close to all the major cities for this purpose.

The idea is that Amazon could eventually provide almost all your shopping needs, because there aren't too many things that you can't wait a couple of hours for.

It conjures up the idea of ordering a bottle of milk from Amazon, perhaps delivered by drone without breakage? It is envisaged that such items will never be touched by a person.

Why leave your home?

GN100
2 Lemon pips

Postby GN100 » November 22nd, 2016, 5:09 pm

Why leave your home?

I find that I shop more and more on Amazon because I can easily compare the specifications of similar purchases and most important to me, I don't have to get the car out, drive down to the town and find a parking space. Prices seem pretty competitive to me. I am sure that this process is killing the high street but the traffic, parking, etc make going there no pleasure at all.

GN

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » November 22nd, 2016, 5:23 pm

GN100 wrote:
Why leave your home?

I find that I shop more and more on Amazon because I can easily compare the specifications of similar purchases and most important to me, I don't have to get the car out, drive down to the town and find a parking space. Prices seem pretty competitive to me. I am sure that this process is killing the high street but the traffic, parking, etc make going there no pleasure at all.

GN

(my bold)

Kind of suggests the high street isn't being killed, eh?

Mel

wheypat
Lemon Slice

Postby wheypat » November 24th, 2016, 3:54 pm

For me, when I took out prime, the big plus was I could order on Friday or Saturday and know I'd be in when it was delivered on Saturday or Sunday. Rather that trying to extract it from one of the neighbours who was in during the day, but worked nights, so was often out/asleep at pick up time. So stuff could get delivered Monday, but we wouldn't see each other for 10 days sometimes.

Return to “Living Below Your Means”