Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6, for Donating to support the site

I do hope the HYP stalwarts arrive soon!

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
NeilW
Lemon Slice

Re: I do hope the HYP stalwarts arrive soon!

Postby NeilW » November 4th, 2016, 4:29 pm

Well I wouldn't say I'm a stalwart, but we'll see how this goes.

NeilW

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » November 4th, 2016, 4:42 pm

Minesadouble wrote:Luniversal, Gengulphus et all, where are you?

I'm here! Registered last night in the small hours, no activation email arrived. This morning I started digging into the long-neglected email account it should have gone to and got bogged down in trying to sort it out, then had to do a few other things such as having my 6-monthly dental check-up. Never did actually work out what had happened to the activation email, but eventually went back to TMF and saw that others had had the problem and stooz had done a mass activation - thanks, stooz!

I should warn people not to expect me to be as active on this site as I was on TMF, at least for the first few months. A fair amount of my energy is going to be going into rescuing the histories of my demo HYPs from the TMF boards before they go for good, and a fair amount more into setting things up so that I don't get dumped in the same situation again! For instance, I'm definitely thinking of setting up a website of my own - the rough idea would be for it to make the historical information available, while any discussion about them happens here. If done well, the result should be more usable than having everything mixed together on one board as it was at TMF, and more robust against events like the current ones...

None of that is solid decisions - just an early indication of my thinking, and to let people know that I'll be around even if probably less visible. It should also give these new boards a chance to bed in, and me a chance to see how well they suit me - that's something I'm very uncertain about, as I can see the potential for them to be anything from much worse to much better from my point of view!

Gengulphus

epo1

Postby epo1 » November 4th, 2016, 4:48 pm

Does anyone have email contact with valuemargin? He is sufficiently irregular that TMF may have disappeared by the time he next checks in.

gcdonaldson

Postby gcdonaldson » November 4th, 2016, 4:51 pm

Another lurker, but appreciative reader.
gcdonaldson

TangerineKeith

Postby TangerineKeith » November 4th, 2016, 4:56 pm

I'm not a stalwart but an HYP veteran with Dorisovian tendencies.

I'll try to contribute more in future now that we are making a new start.

Many thanks to whoever organised these boards.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » November 4th, 2016, 5:02 pm

Julian wrote:Alternatively, couldn't you copy and paste any of your previous posts that you need for context into new posts here, remembering to include the dates of the original posts in the body of the text of course since the posts themselves would all be dated 2016? I think you have copyright on your posts so there is nothing to stop you re-posting old stuff here as alluded to in my "Could we make something positive..." thread in this forum.

I'm not a lawyer so I could be wrong on copyright by the way.

I'm not a lawyer either, but am certain you're not wrong about it - TMF's terms & conditions are quite explicit about copyright. TMF get an irrevocable license to do pretty much what they like with submitted posts, but the author keeps the copyright to what they've written and so can also do what they like with it.

But take care about stuff you haven't written, especially stuff that is important to TMF's brand image. For example, if using screenshots of the posts, I would definitely crop them down to leave out the TMF logo, etc, at the top of the page!

Gengulphus

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » November 4th, 2016, 5:07 pm

Thanks for opening this forum. Great stuff, and I look forward to the rest of the gang turning up.

Regards,

Ian.

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » November 4th, 2016, 5:08 pm

Nice to see so many regulars decant over here, including some of the genuinely nice/respected Mods [yah, even in the flesh ;]. It feels almost ironic to see them migrate here, but I'm glad they feel welcome too.

edit/add: CharlotteSquare, nice to see you and I love your quoted lyric, saw Thin Lizzy when they were touring with the Stranglers in c77/8, That was an epic night/don't make them like that any more.... [Sorry I've reverted to type very quickly and am likely boring people already hehe].

OT/BTW I've been on maaany fora over the years and I'm glad this place doesn't have a format of awarding recs/gongs etc. to posters. It just er seems to alter behaviour, 'rec-slutting' etc., and IMO a forum is better off without it.
Last edited by DiamondEcho on November 4th, 2016, 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PLS1nve5t

Postby PLS1nve5t » November 4th, 2016, 5:16 pm

Hello folks - 5 year lurker checking in, many thanks to the folks setting this up - and wow proper smilies :D

Instep
2 Lemon pips

Postby Instep » November 4th, 2016, 5:19 pm

Gengulphus wrote: For instance, I'm definitely thinking of setting up a website of my own - the rough idea would be for it to make the historical information available, while any discussion about them happens here. If done well, the result should be more usable than having everything mixed together on one board as it was at TMF, and more robust against events like the current ones...

Great to see you here Gengulphus - Looking forward to see how things go.

At the moment, I admit to being rather lost in the new BB setup.

Instep

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » November 4th, 2016, 5:21 pm

epo1 wrote:Does anyone have email contact with valuemargin? He is sufficiently irregular that TMF may have disappeared by the time he next checks in.

There's nothing to stop you going onto the TMF boards and finding one of his posts and then replying to it using the 'Email reply to author' option, if you think he's not going to get wind of this place?

As an aside, I did consider this issue earlier today and have asked TMFTarantula to consider a mass email out to all active and non-active TMF members, telling them individually of the boards closure via email, given the really short notice-period, and also to consider the possibility of including a URL link to these boards, with the hope of helping to achieve some sort of community-continuity -

http://boards.fool.co.uk/it39s-my-sad-duty-to-announce-that-we39ll-13457393.aspx

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » November 4th, 2016, 5:28 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
http://boards.fool.co.uk/it39s-my-sad-duty-to-announce-that-we39ll-13457393.aspx

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Slightly off-topic and I've already asked similarly at DAK (on this website) but the link you provided is not clickable for me. I can obviously right click and open but do direct links not function or is the problem my end?

PD

epo1

Postby epo1 » November 4th, 2016, 5:34 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:There's nothing to stop you going onto the TMF boards and finding one of his posts and then replying to it using the 'Email reply to author' option, if you think he's not going to get wind of this place?

I have done just that.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » November 4th, 2016, 5:38 pm

PinkDalek wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Slightly off-topic and I've already asked similarly at DAK (on this website) but the link you provided is not clickable for me. I can obviously right click and open but do direct links not function or is the problem my end?

PD

If you look at the right hand side when you're making a post on this site, under the emoticons, we can see that there's a statement saying -

[url] is OFF

which presumably, if it were on, would give us the ability to post URL tags that were then clickable in the normal way we are used to.

I'm not sure if this is a deliberate policy, and why that should be the case, so it might be worth raising on one of the other threads discussing the site, asking why?

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » November 4th, 2016, 5:41 pm

Got it thanks. May do what you suggest once things are further progressed and knowing that stooz is likely to be busy.

Tigah

Postby Tigah » November 4th, 2016, 5:56 pm

Been awhile since I posted on the HYP practical board but thought I'd join here.

Regards,

Tigah

Loudbarker

Postby Loudbarker » November 4th, 2016, 6:51 pm

Happy to be on board

LB

Dinick

Postby Dinick » November 4th, 2016, 7:28 pm

Hi All,

One door closes and another opens.

Top marks to Stooz and Clariman for being so quick off the starting line. The first signs look to be excellent, thank you for doing this.

Dinick

heathmount

Postby heathmount » November 4th, 2016, 7:42 pm

It's like losing your favourite toy as a child then miraculously finding it again 3 days later in a different room.

Degsy67
2 Lemon pips

Postby Degsy67 » November 4th, 2016, 7:45 pm

Hey guys! Good to find you all.

Now, I've been thinking, should we split this board in two?...

Too early?

:lol:

Only joking

Degsy

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”