Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Managing a HYP+ Annually

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
bsdropout

Managing a HYP+ Annually

Postby bsdropout » November 27th, 2016, 5:43 pm

As some of you may know I have learnt & benefited enormously over the years from Pyad & TMF and many others so I’m really grateful that they were here to guide me. But now find I’m less able to provide the monthly management for a HYP (I used to track values, dividends due/received etc) and need to move to an annual check & balance of what I have invested and what dividends/interest was received.

One of the things bugging me is if most of our investments are in an ISA, I’m not sure that any of the S&S ISA providers issue an end of year summary of holdings & what dividends were paid in. This being the case, I think I’m stuck - the best I could achieve is a manually compiled list of current holdings and valuations which falls some way short of my intentions. Maybe my approach/expectations were flawed - DAK if this is right?

Darka
Lemon Slice

Re: Managing a HYP+ Annually

Postby Darka » November 27th, 2016, 5:50 pm

Most of them provide an annual summary of your holdings but not of the dividends received.

To be honest, I do the minimal work required on mine, track any purchases and occasional sales and dividends as they arrive, I don't worry about due dividends, etc. as I probably foolishly assume that the providers will get this right mostly.

My HYP is becoming more hands off the older I get, I'm hoping for 2017 to be a no tinker year at all, so only purchases and dividends to track - maybe 10 minutes a month at most for me which is enough, no unitisation or other comparisons as my only concern is how much of my monthly spending is covered by dividends - an easily calculated value in my spreadsheet.

regards,
Darka

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » November 27th, 2016, 6:57 pm

bsdropout wrote:I’m not sure that any of the S&S ISA providers issue an end of year summary of holdings & what dividends were paid in.

I use Barclays Stockbrokers and my HYP is in an ISA. They issue exactly such a summary as you describe.

Regards,
Chris

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » November 27th, 2016, 7:07 pm

bsdropout wrote:As some of you may know I have learnt & benefited enormously over the years from Pyad & TMF and many others so I’m really grateful that they were here to guide me. But now find I’m less able to provide the monthly management for a HYP (I used to track values, dividends due/received etc) and need to move to an annual check & balance of what I have invested and what dividends/interest was received.

One of the things bugging me is if most of our investments are in an ISA, I’m not sure that any of the S&S ISA providers issue an end of year summary of holdings & what dividends were paid in. This being the case, I think I’m stuck - the best I could achieve is a manually compiled list of current holdings and valuations which falls some way short of my intentions. Maybe my approach/expectations were flawed - DAK if this is right?

Hi bsdropout, I actually keep a record of the daily value of my holdings. I like to see how I'm doing on a capital vsle against the market. I also have spread sheets recoding all dividends paid. I'm happy that the graph is going upwards as the hyp pays more and more income.

Regards

Ian

Dod1010
Lemon Quarter

Postby Dod1010 » November 27th, 2016, 9:55 pm

Ian

Serious question What use is a daily record of values? Mostly it will be market noise. I value my portfolio weekly to see if I see any trends that should be investigated.

I keep a daily check on dividends paid against what I expect and often find I have received some I did not know were coming which is very pleasant. At year end or often half yearly I have a check of dividends paid against what I know should be paid, but seldom find anything amiss.

Dod

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » November 27th, 2016, 10:22 pm

Dod1010 wrote:Ian

Serious question What use is a daily record of values? Mostly it will be market noise. I value my portfolio weekly to see if I see any trends that should be investigated.

Dod
[quote="Dod1010"]Ian

Hi Did, I do get where you're coming from. I don't keep a written record of the value vs market but do have s sideways glance at it. Its nice to see if im beating the market in that regard.

Regards,

Ian

Crazbe7
2 Lemon pips

Postby Crazbe7 » November 27th, 2016, 10:29 pm

I use Halifax and they provide the option to list dividends received on a monthly basis, annual basis etc. You can set the months you wish to review.

By using the 'print view' function you can 'cut and paste' into the spread sheet of your choice to do whatever analysis suits.

I review the value of my HYP on a monthly basis and dividends received on a quarterly basis when I make the decision on what shares to buy for my HYP. ISA based and no income currently taken.

Crazbe7

nk104

Postby nk104 » November 27th, 2016, 10:54 pm

Share Centre provides a list of dividends received in its six-monthly statements.

Gersemi
Lemon Slice

Postby Gersemi » November 28th, 2016, 10:21 am

I have stocks & shares ISAs with Halifax and Hargreaves Lansdown, they both produce 6 monthly statements which include a valuation and list all cash movements on the account, which includes dividend payments.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » November 28th, 2016, 11:05 am

Gersemi wrote:I have stocks & shares ISAs with Halifax and Hargreaves Lansdown, they both produce 6 monthly statements which include a valuation and list all cash movements on the account, which includes dividend payments.

Ditto with Jarvis Investment Management and X-O.

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » November 28th, 2016, 2:06 pm

IWeb aka Halifax, give a breakdown of dividends paid, they even send an email to remind you to look, or maybe that is just my email options.

Raptor.

Gersemi
Lemon Slice

Postby Gersemi » November 28th, 2016, 4:42 pm

Raptor wrote:IWeb aka Halifax, give a breakdown of dividends paid, they even send an email to remind you to look, or maybe that is just my email options.

Raptor.

The Halifax account gives you an option to view dividends received in a period, it defaults to the current month, but it is easy enough to amend it to a different period, I do one from 1 April to 31 March for my annual records and print it out.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » November 28th, 2016, 4:52 pm

I use Halifax (HSDL) and there's all the info you need (and more)
I still haven't found a 'download as .csv/xls' button though.... which is available for my Lloyds accounts

mao44
Lemon Pip

Postby mao44 » November 28th, 2016, 5:44 pm

HSBC also provide statements of divis paid.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » November 28th, 2016, 7:07 pm

I still haven't found a 'download as .csv/xls' button though.... which is available for my Lloyds accounts

If all you want is a copy, you can print to something like PDF995 which will give you a .pdf file to keep.

TJH

eyeball08
Lemon Pip

Postby eyeball08 » November 28th, 2016, 8:46 pm

My HYP is in drawdown phase with all income from dividends immediately paid out to current accounts. It is spread over 2 ISAS in names of Mr and Mrs eyeball. ISAS are with Alliance Trust and Intelligent Investor. It is easy to print out a statement for any period and I try to remember to do this at the end of each tax year. Statements can be printed out more often of course. I am monitoring less and less. The ISA income payments are easily observed on bank statements.

(This next bit isn't for the original poster bsdropout) I originally started doing the HYP in certificated form. I cannot recommend this to anyone just starting out. The original justification was firstly "never going to sell anything" so no worries about CGT. And secondly, they were all put into the non-taxpayers name. They are now nearly all, 80%, in the 2 ISAS which has wasted a fair bit on stamp duty and cert sale fees. Some selling now and again was sensible IMHO and capital gains limits do gradually, over only a few years, seem to become an issue however unlikely that at first might seem.
Also income tax can become more of an issue when other pensions kick in.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » November 28th, 2016, 8:53 pm

tjh290633 wrote:

If all you want is a copy, you can print to something like PDF995 which will give you a .pdf file to keep.

TJH

No, I normally need to drop the data from the various tables into Excel - I can copy/paste special[text] which is fiddly but works ok.
The tax certificate is downloadable as a pdf which is handy

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » November 29th, 2016, 3:37 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:
tjh290633 wrote:

TJH

No, I normally need to drop the data from the various tables into Excel - I can copy/paste special[text] which is fiddly but works ok.

Have you tried asking them? YouInvest have that and I couldn't find it so emailed them and they told me where it was (their system has changed now and it's much more obvious).

I check my holdings and net worth (partly to see if I am over the IHT threshold) in theory monthly but in reality about every two months.

This year has been 'interesting (for interesting read boring) as I filled up the ISA in April and bought all the stocks by May, so I've only really been able to watch it all this year with the exception of two (I think it is) top ups from dividends.

I am considering selling some ETFs to move to single shares just to give myself something to do!

Mel

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » November 29th, 2016, 3:54 pm

melonfool wrote:
AleisterCrowley wrote:
tjh290633 wrote:

TJH

Have you tried asking them? YouInvest have that and I couldn't find it so emailed them and they told me where it was (their system has changed now and it's much more obvious).
Mel

I did ask years ago, and they said that feature wasn't available (it was web chat online thingy, so not 100% sure they actually knew) - I may try again ...

I am considering selling some ETFs to move to single shares just to give myself something to do!

The devil makes work for idle hands :)

bsdropout

Postby bsdropout » December 6th, 2016, 9:57 am

HSBC also provide statements of divis paid.

One of our ISA accounts is with HSBC and the other is with AJ Bell - I have checked my file and there are no annual or other statements for the S&S ISA accounts. Is this something that can be turned off - and the default is off?

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”