Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gvonge,Shelford,GrahamPlatt,gpadsa,Steffers0, for Donating to support the site

Greene King Trading statement for the 40 weeks to 5th February 2017

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
idpickering
The full Lemon

Greene King Trading statement for the 40 weeks to 5th February 2017

Postby idpickering » February 10th, 2017, 7:07 am

"In the first 40 weeks of the year, Pub Company achieved like-for-like (LFL) sales growth of 1.1%. Excluding Fayre & Square, LFL sales were +1.6%. Over the last 16 weeks, we have seen a strong Christmas trading period alongside the usual quieter months of November and January.

LFL sales over the three Christmas weeks were up 4.5%, despite tough comparisons with the previous Christmas. Sales were driven by particularly strong growth in London. We again broke our record for Christmas Day with sales of £7.4m, up 6.0% on the previous year.

LFL net income in Pub Partners was up 3.5% after 40 weeks, maintaining its strong performance this year. In a cask ale market down 3.8%, own-brewed volume (OBV) in Brewing & Brands was down 4.2%.

Further progress was made on the Spirit integration with over 1,000 pubs now converted to the 'best of both' Pub Company IT system and ongoing synergy savings realised. "

Full item here;

http://www.investegate.co.uk/greene-kin ... 00065456W/

Funnily enough, I was just toying with bringing these on board my HYP to sit alongside my DGE holdings.

Ian.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Re: Greene King Trading statement for the 40 weeks to 5th February 2017

Postby kempiejon » February 10th, 2017, 7:51 am

Ta Ian,
Like you I hold both DGE and GNK, I bought the first years ago when it had a higher yield. Since then dividend up about 60%, the capital has outstripped that by doubling driving the current yield. GNK I bought initially in May last year and have added to. There was some discussion around Gengulphus' demo port selections of the soft drinks company Britvic, I pondered between the two but preferred the brewer. Greene king are some way off a full holding so look worthy of a top up, the yield today is slightly higher than my average.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » February 10th, 2017, 8:29 am

kempiejon wrote:Ta Ian,
Like you I hold both DGE and GNK, I bought the first years ago when it had a higher yield. Since then dividend up about 60%, the capital has outstripped that by doubling driving the current yield. GNK I bought initially in May last year and have added to. There was some discussion around Gengulphus' demo port selections of the soft drinks company Britvic, I pondered between the two but preferred the brewer. Greene king are some way off a full holding so look worthy of a top up, the yield today is slightly higher than my average.

Thanks for your input kempijon. I do like having the 'sin' stocks on board my HYP lol. Tobacco accounts for just over 10% in my HYP in value terms, and beverages at 2.2%. I've no intention of dumping Diageo, but am reluctant to buy more due to the lower yield. GNK are down 2.85% as I type! Oversold surely?

Regards,

Ian.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » February 10th, 2017, 8:42 am

Edward Sheldon, one of the TMF writers, took the words out of my mouth with this item today;

Why Greene King is in my ‘buy zone’ but Diageo isn’t

"If there’s one important lesson I’ve learnt in nearly 20 years of investing, it’s that patience can make a huge difference to long-term returns. Warren Buffett once stated that “it’s better to buy a wonderful company at a fair price than a fair company at a wonderful price.” However with patience, it’s often possible to buy the wonderful company at a wonderful price, enjoying the best of both worlds.

With that in mind, here’s a look at two stocks trading at contrasting valuations. One is simply too expensive for me right now, while the other is in my ‘buy zone’."

http://www.fool.co.uk/investing/2017/02 ... ageo-isnt/

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”