Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Inmarsat

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
MrBarclay
Lemon Pip

Inmarsat

Postby MrBarclay » November 4th, 2016, 11:56 am

Inmarsat plc reports Third Quarter Results 2015
Growth continuing and on track for GX global commercial service by year-end
London, UK: 6 November 2015. Inmarsat plc (LSE: ISAT.L), the leading provider of global mobile satellite communications services, today provided the following information for the three months ended 30 September 2015.
Third Quarter Financial Headlines
 Total revenues $323.1m (2014: $300.6m)
o Maritime up $2.6m to $150.2m (+1.8%)
o Government up $0.9m to $77.2m (+1.2%) o Enterprise down $1.2m to $39.7m (-2.9%) o Aviation up $11.9m to $32.6m (+57.5%)
o $17.9m from LightSquared (2014: $9.8m)[i]

On my watch list: shares up 10% yesterday.
Hi Lemon Fool! :D

fireblade909

Re: Inmarsat

Postby fireblade909 » November 4th, 2016, 1:02 pm

ap, I doubt you have missed the train with Inmarsat, just look at a 1 year share price chart for context

My first post in my new home! thanks Stooz & Co

ben328

Postby ben328 » November 4th, 2016, 4:01 pm

I have had the misfortune to have substantial business dealings with Inmarsat over the last few years. They are a mess, they have very high turnover of staff, and their internal communication is appalling.

Their structure is dominated by engineering, which I think is one reason for the high turnover is customer facing roles. They have to keep explaining why channels have been taken down, without warning, satellites move with little notice, etc. The engineering teams seem to be able to do what ever they want, without thinking of the consequences for paying customers.

I suppose they get away with it to an extent because their aren't that many satellite providers, and once signed up and bought equipment to work on their channels it is not so easy to move.

I have looked at the company as an investment in the past, but can't see past the obvious issues they have.

fireblade909

Postby fireblade909 » November 5th, 2016, 7:07 am

"I suppose they get away with it to an extent because their aren't that many satellite providers, and once signed up and bought equipment to work on their channels it is not so easy to move"

It is therefore this position of market strength that makes for a sustainable business despite the failings you mention. Thanks for the insight Ben

(Apologies I have not yet figured out how to reply with quotes)

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » November 5th, 2016, 7:54 am

fireblade909 wrote:
(Apologies I have not yet figured out how to reply with quotes)

Yes, it's all a bit new and mysterious. If you press the quote " symbol on the right hand side, you will find the message you are quoting pops up in the reply box as above. You can then edit it.

Arb.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » November 5th, 2016, 11:22 am

A business based on fragile electronics shot into space by an unreliable giant firework, never really seemed to me an HYP candidate.

V8

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » November 5th, 2016, 2:02 pm

ben328 wrote:I have had the misfortune to have substantial business dealings with Inmarsat over the last few years. They are a mess, they have very high turnover of staff, and their internal communication is appalling.

Their structure is dominated by engineering, which I think is one reason for the high turnover is customer facing roles. They have to keep explaining why channels have been taken down, without warning, satellites move with little notice, etc. The engineering teams seem to be able to do what ever they want, without thinking of the consequences for paying customers.

I suppose they get away with it to an extent because their aren't that many satellite providers, and once signed up and bought equipment to work on their channels it is not so easy to move.

I have looked at the company as an investment in the past, but can't see past the obvious issues they have.

I can read that more than one way.

If they're a pain to do business with, that's bad (doubly so if you're paying them money, as opposed to vice versa). But a high-tech company has to have a strong focus on engineering. A company dominated by Suits will tend to drive competent engineers away in frustration, and will then stagnate. Those are the kind of companies who get the government IT contracts (because the Suits can sell to the civil servants), but don't stand a hope in hell of delivering for many millions what a competent student could do in a three-month project.

It's possible to tread a path between the two extremes, but among UK companies I've worked with or for, only the tiddlers (under 100 employees) have been remotely acceptable. Silicon Valley does a much better job.

I hold ISAT. Not about to sell, nor top up.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”