Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Centrica Trading Statement

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
idpickering
The full Lemon

Centrica Trading Statement

Postby idpickering » December 15th, 2016, 9:44 am

"Centrica plc today publishes a Trading Update prior to entering its close period on 1 January 2017. The Company continues to make good progress against its strategic priorities and now expects to exceed the 2016 targets originally set out at its 2015 Preliminary Results:
• Adjusted operating cash flow is expected to be in the range £2.4-£2.6 billion.
• Group capital investment, including small acquisitions of less than £100 million each, is now expected to be around £900 million, below the £1 billion limit set as part of the Group’s financial framework.
• Efficiency savings of over £300 million as part of the Group’s £750 million per annum cost efficiency programme with like-for-like operating costs expected to be lower in 2016 than in 2015, having absorbed the effects of inflation, foreign exchange movements and additional investment in our focus areas for growth.
• Direct like-for-like headcount reduction of over 3,000.

The Company currently expects full year 2016 adjusted earnings per share to be around 16.5p. This improved outlook relative to the half year reflects further benefits from the cost efficiency programme and strong energy marketing and trading performance. Actual financial performance as usual remains subject to weather and asset performance over the balance of the year, and any impact of commodity prices on the year end carrying value of assets. "

http://www.investegate.co.uk/centrica-p ... 0000Z0746/

toofast2live
Lemon Slice

Re: Centrica Trading Statement

Postby toofast2live » December 15th, 2016, 12:18 pm

Prospective yield of 5.7%, I reckon. I'm asking Santa to pop some down the chimney!

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » December 15th, 2016, 1:44 pm

toofast2live wrote:Prospective yield of 5.7%, I reckon. I'm asking Santa to pop some down the chimney!

It is my intention to top up my holdings of CNA, probably in February 2017. I'm looking elsewhere currently.

Ian.

spiderbill
Lemon Slice

Postby spiderbill » December 15th, 2016, 4:43 pm

I had considered selling them last week - even with today's boost I'm still 39% down on capital and they've cut their dividends twice in the recent past. I'm glad I held off but they still don't exactly inspire confidence. Risky value buy rather than HYP share in my view.

cheers

Spiderbill

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » December 15th, 2016, 7:59 pm

A strange thing happened....

last month I topped up CNA using A J Bell's regular saver. Today, I found I had forgotten to cancel the regular order which again fired off, on the 13th December. So I've accidentally topped up twice, but with this little jump in prices only two days later, I'm feeling my guardian angel is looking after me.

CNA not exactly a winner, but I'm in the black in TR terms.

Arb.

pendas
2 Lemon pips

Postby pendas » December 15th, 2016, 8:45 pm

I first purchased in 2013 and I'm still in the red on a TR basis. One account was purchased at an average £3.63 and another at £2.77. I have added at prices as low as £2.00 to get to the averages quoted. Now at number 12 on my hyptuss.

The monthly group purchase order process with AJ Bell is a nuisance, not being able to specify a one off purchase. Fortunately or unfortunately I rarely if ever accumulate enough dividends to replicate the initial purchase amount in a month, so the trade would not go through if I forgot to cancel.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » December 15th, 2016, 9:33 pm

spiderbill wrote:... and they've cut their dividends twice in the recent past. ...

They've cut their interim once, by about 30%, between the interim paid in November 2014 and that paid in November 2015. And they've cut their final once, also by about 30%, between the final paid in June 2014 and the final paid in June 2015. The net result is that the total dividend dropped from 12.08p+4.92p = 17p paid for 2013 to 3.57p+8.43p = 12p paid for 2015, an overall drop of about 30%. It went via 5.1p+8.4p = 13.5p paid for 2014, so the yearly total dropped twice - but dropping the interim once and the final once is basically what a company has to do to cut its total dividend once! If it recognises the need to cut the dividend when the next dividend to be declared is the interim, it gets the whole thing over in one year-on-year drop for the total percentage drop; if instead it recognises the need when the next dividend to be declared is the final, it gets split into two smaller year-on-year drops as Centrica's has been. And I for one am not going to regard either course of action as worse than the other!

In short, looking at Centrica's dividend record in detail, I only see one basic decision to cut - the fact that it becomes two successive year-on-year drops is just an accident of timing.

Source: https://www.centrica.com/investors/investor-information/dividend-history

Gengulphus

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » December 15th, 2016, 11:05 pm

pendas wrote:
The monthly group purchase order process with AJ Bell is a nuisance, not being able to specify a one off purchase.

Well, as I discovered, one has to be careful! What happened was that I logged in as usual to cancel the regular investment, but in my enthusiasm did so too soon - at the end of the trading day in November - so it wouldn't let me cancel it. That's despite the investment having already triggered earlier in the day.
Like an idiot, I forgot to go back and cancel it later. Ironically, I was pickering about at the weekend and decided NOT to make an investment this month. If I had decided to set up an investment after all, naturally, I would have discovered my mistake on Saturday or Sunday.

But, my fairy godmother must have been looking out for me, as CNA was top of the risers' board today. The result is that the over-investment brings CNA up to 4% of capital invested, and 1.25x median weight, which will rule it out for any more money for a long time.
Incidentally, the second investment already set up was for Greene King (this times Gengulphus' "committee" choice), which I didn't mind making at all, whether by accident or not.

Needless to say, I've cancelled any further monthly investments.

fisher
Lemon Slice

Postby fisher » December 17th, 2016, 4:47 pm

Arborbridge wrote:A strange thing happened....

last month I topped up CNA using A J Bell's regular saver. Today, I found I had forgotten to cancel the regular order which again fired off, on the 13th December. So I've accidentally topped up twice, but with this little jump in prices only two days later, I'm feeling my guardian angel is looking after me.

CNA not exactly a winner, but I'm in the black in TR terms.

Arb.

I had exactly the same happen to me a few months ago with LGEN. I got an email from AJ Bell saying I had a contract note which shocked me a bit. When I checked i realised I had forgotten to cancel the regular investment instruction months before. It only fired once I had built up in excess of £3000 in dividends. It turned out to be a good buy for me too, but it wasn't what I intended.

It is irritating that AJ Bell will not let you delete the regular investment instruction on the day it fires. You have to wait until the next day and then you can forget to do it. I now set up a calendar reminder to get me to remember.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”