Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

At the risk of being boring.....

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Re: At the risk of being boring.....

Postby Arborbridge » November 5th, 2016, 6:33 pm

Jon,

I believe MKS has a trading statement out next week - it'll be interesting to see the reaction. This year, I've been a bit luke warm on Marks for various reasons. I even considered selling out, but here I am thinking of topping up - irrational, or what?
But, I'm encourages by the fact that TJH still has faith in it, and I believe may have topped up himself this year - although maybe that's my wishful thinking.

What annoyed me was: a) their stupid nonsensical "Sparks" reward scheme which seems to have mystified anyone I talk to in the store and b) the new CEO's idea of having a focus group of shoppers to advise him on the clothing range. Isn't that pathetic? To my mind, not a good start to his reign - like admitting he hasn't a clue.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » November 5th, 2016, 6:34 pm

Jon,

I believe MKS has a trading statement out next week - it'll be interesting to see the reaction. This year, I've been a bit luke warm on Marks for various reasons. I even considered selling out, but here I am thinking of topping up - irrational, or what?
But, I'm encourages by the fact that TJH still has faith in it, and I believe may have topped up himself this year - although maybe that's my wishful thinking.

What annoyed me was: a) their stupid nonsensical "Sparks" reward scheme which seems to have mystified anyone I talk to in the store and b) the new CEO's idea of having a focus group of shoppers to advise him on the clothing range. Isn't that pathetic? To my mind, not a good start to his reign - like admitting he hasn't a clue.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » November 5th, 2016, 7:00 pm

Jon,

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » November 5th, 2016, 7:01 pm

Now here's a thing. THat previous was posted three times, and that was because there was no sign of it having appeared on the site, and there clearly isn't any error trapping on here to intercept double postings.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » November 5th, 2016, 7:14 pm

Arb,
Looking at their website looks like early Nov is time for 6 monthly results and trading updates. My top up is set for the next Halifax cheap dealing day. No doubt which ever way I bend it'll be wrong, if I hold until post statements the price will rise before I buy and vis a versa. Digital look offers forecast 6% yield, recent and forecast dividend increases look better than the prior 5 years, current cover over my threshold of 1.5 but forecast 1.4.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » November 5th, 2016, 9:33 pm

And don't forget it's "Trumpday" next week - Aaaargh!

I agree the MKS numbers look good, but it would be nice to hear any statement about the dividend first. But, wait for good news and it will move the price against you. I think Terry would say: if you are happy with the yield, don't fret that you might have done better a few days later.

Arb.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » November 5th, 2016, 10:36 pm

Arborbridge wrote:Jon,

Afraid not. I last topped MKS up in 2012 at 333p. However it is currently next but one in line for a top-up.

TJH

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » November 5th, 2016, 10:54 pm

As I tried to post the below, on pressing submit a new page came up with my unposted comments in a window and a title at the top pf the page and TJH's post below it

Post review
At least one new post has been made to this topic. You may wish to review your post in light of this.

That's a handy feature for when you've been beaten to the reply when a new post has been added.
And don't forget it's "Trumpday" next week - Aaaargh

I have a reserve slug of cash ready for any post US election bargains. I bought a couple of companies at what looked like choice prices post brexit and will look for the same again next week but that's not so HYPish. Someone pointed out that there are some "bargains" available perhaps they'll get even cheaper. My HYP strategy is to make a buy each month with savings and accumulated dividends and buy what looks good at the time, much as your suggestion of Terry's comment.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » November 6th, 2016, 7:34 am

kempiejon wrote:As I tried to post the below, on pressing submit a new page came up with my unposted comments in a window and a title at the top pf the page and TJH's post below it

Post review
At least one new post has been made to this topic. You may wish to review your post in light of this.

That's a handy feature for when you've been beaten to the reply when a new post has been added.

Hey, that's good. It sometimes happens that we post, only find somone else has added a new comment we would rather have taken into account.

And TJH: nice to know you are "around".

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » November 6th, 2016, 8:38 pm

Following a suggestion from Breelander, I've had another go at posting my top-up table.

Code: Select all

Ticker Forecast Yield Income % Ov/under median Cap % oncost
MKS       6.20%         2.77       0.83          2.91%
PSON      6.80%         3.35       0.91          3.54%
LLOY      5.70%         2.50       0.81          4.23%
LGEN      6.90%         3.64       0.98          2.14%
IRV       7.80%         4.43       1.05          1.93%
VOD       5.80%         2.67       0.85          1.94%
CNA       5.80%         2.85       0.91          3.72%
GNK       4.60%         2.01       0.81          1.64%
CLLN      7.50%         4.35       1.08          3.88%
EMG       5.60%         2.54       0.84          2.62%

I hope this is easier to read than my original. The shares are listed in top-up ranking from the HYPTUSS. Over/under Median is by current value, and the median =1. My upper limit is 2.00, so all those in the table would pass that particular test. My limits on % by income and capital invested are a soft limit around 4%, and a hard limit of 5%.

So, unless things change next week, Marks will receive more input.
By the way, this place won't feel quite like home until Dod pops up and explains that I shouldn't be thinking of investing in MKS:)

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » November 7th, 2016, 9:29 pm

I think M&S is first up with this month savings and accumulated dividends. Within the ISA I also have Provident Financial's buy out money to deploy.

Muppet, I meant Premier Farnell buy out money. I also missed turning on the sharebuilder for today so I'll be waiting until next week for M&S.

stacpo

Postby stacpo » November 7th, 2016, 10:07 pm

Arborbridge/Kempiejon

Mks have their Interim Report tomorrow I believe. Mks is near the top of my top up list but I'm not in a position to do so at the moment. With the suggestion that there are to be a number of shop closures and other changes I'm a bit concerned as to what else will come out ( just part of being a HYPer I guess . Time will tell

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”