Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Next TRading Statement

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
idpickering
The full Lemon

Next TRading Statement

Postby idpickering » January 4th, 2017, 7:07 am

Not one that I hold myself, but I think some of my fellow HYPers do;

SALES FOR THE YEAR TO 24 DECEMBER 2016

"Sales for the Fourth Quarter

NEXT Brand full price sales in the 54 days from Tuesday 1 November to Saturday 24 December were down -0.4%. Sales performance in the fourth quarter improved on the third quarter and was better than the run rate for the full year. However, we were expecting sales in the fourth quarter to grow on the previous year, as the comparative numbers in 2015 were poor.

Sales by quarter are set out in the graph below.

Click or paste the following link into your web browser to view the chart titled '2016 Full Price Sales to 24 December vs 2015'. Refer to page 1 for this chart.

http://www.rns-pdf.londonstockexchange. ... 17-1-3.pdf

Sales for the Year to Date

Total sales, including markdown sales, for the year to date are up +0.4% on last year. Full price sales for the year to date are down -1.1% on last year. For comparison, the table below sets out full price sales for the 54 days to 24 December and year to date for Retail and Directory. Within NEXT Directory's year to date growth of +3.6%, NEXT UK (including Label) was up +1.4% and Overseas was up +18% on last year."

Full item here;

http://www.investegate.co.uk/next-plc-- ... 00212683T/

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Re: Next TRading Statement

Postby Wizard » January 4th, 2017, 7:28 am

Profits expected to be at lower end of expectations at £792m (expects range £785 - 825m). Next year expected to be "challenging".

I do not hold.

Terry.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » January 4th, 2017, 8:19 am

Wizard wrote:Profits expected to be at lower end of expectations at £792m (expects range £785 - 825m). Next year expected to be "challenging".

I do not hold.

Terry.

Cheers for your input Terry. No One coughing up to being a holder then? Sorry, the stock is down 12% as I type. My Wife suggested adding them to our holdings a couple of years ago, and I'm mighty glad I ignored her. (Again.... :lol: )

Regards,

Ian.

Dod1010
Lemon Quarter

Postby Dod1010 » January 4th, 2017, 8:27 am

As I keep saying, retail is not the place to be and with the real threat of inflation this year, it will not get any better.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » January 4th, 2017, 9:04 am

Dod1010 wrote:As I keep saying, retail is not the place to be and with the real threat of inflation this year, it will not get any better.

Your words of caution are very wise Dod IMHO. However, I do hold Sainsbury. For me it's a case of buying shares in something people must have vs would like to have. People have to buy food, tobacco, oil etc, they don't have to buy a new frock for instance.

Regards,

Ian.

funduffer
Lemon Quarter

Postby funduffer » January 4th, 2017, 9:06 am

idpickering wrote: People have to buy food, tobacco, oil etc, they don't have to buy a new frock for instance.

Perhaps you could mention this to my wife? :lol:

FD

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » January 4th, 2017, 11:01 am

funduffer wrote:
idpickering wrote: People have to buy food, tobacco, oil etc, they don't have to buy a new frock for instance.

Perhaps you could mention this to my wife? :lol:

FD

I'm wondering if my Wife knows yours' FD? :D

On a more serious note though, I'm glad I followed my instincts by not buying into the Next story. I learned that holding niche trendy shares is not the way to go having held Dixons in the past.

Regards,

Ian.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » January 4th, 2017, 2:13 pm

i bought into NEXT due to the woodford influence - well down at present .

but i also bought into Burford capital for the same reason - well up at present .

:?

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » January 4th, 2017, 2:49 pm

jackdaww wrote:i bought into NEXT due to the woodford influence - well down at present .

but i also bought into Burford capital for the same reason - well up at present .

Hi jackdaw,

I don't doubt that most, if not all, of us here keep one eye on what Neil's up to. I know I do. But the bottom line is to do your own research. Then at least you only have yourself to blame. ;)

Ian.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » January 4th, 2017, 4:48 pm

idpickering wrote:
jackdaww wrote:i bought into NEXT due to the woodford influence - well down at present .

Hi jackdaw,

I don't doubt that most, if not all, of us here keep one eye on what Neil's up to. I know I do. But the bottom line is to do your own research. Then at least you only have yourself to blame. ;)

Ian.

====

quite right ,thanks for that .

i do do quite a lot of research in fact , woodford's approval is just one of several tick boxes , in this case i've just paid too much for a solid company , i dont plan to sell.

the message here for me is dont get carried away on one theme - which i did , also buying into game digital (barmy) ,and essentra ( seemed sensible at the time )

OTOH burford, breedon ,stobart , hostelworld ,crystal amber are well up at present .

nb. NEXT is the only hyp candidate.

:|

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » January 4th, 2017, 8:28 pm

idpickering wrote:I don't doubt that most, if not all, of us here keep one eye on what Neil's up to. I know I do. ...

Well, I can tell you that it's definitely not all! I see mentions of what he's doing from time to time, of course, but I make absolutely no attempt to follow it or to pay any attention to it in my investing. I.e. he crosses my field of view occasionally, the same way e.g. football results do, but in neither case am I keeping an eye on them.

Why not? Basically because as I've said before, my experience is that my best investment ideas are the ones I come up with for myself...

Gengulphus

Dod1010
Lemon Quarter

Postby Dod1010 » January 5th, 2017, 8:31 am

It must be the New Year influencing me but I find myself for the second time this morning largely agreeing with Gengulphus. I pay no attention to what others are doing, except occasionally after the event, unless of course I want to buy into their funds.

However I am not prepared to say that my best investment ideas are the ones I come up with myself. I think that is a rather dangerous and complacent notion. Complacency is very dangerous in investing, although conviction in your decisions is essential.

What I do say is that I would rather accept responsibility for my own ideas, and often my goals will not coincide with Woodford's or indeed Nick Train's.

Leither
Lemon Slice

Postby Leither » January 5th, 2017, 9:45 am

idpickering wrote:
On a more serious note though, I'm glad I followed my instincts by not buying into the Next story. I learned that holding niche trendy shares is not the way to go having held Dixons in the past.

I've never held Next but it's a company I've long admired, not least for the trouble they went to to explain their policy on share buy-backs. I would hardly call Next a "niche trendy share". You just need to look at the 10 year graph of the share price to see what a success it's been, at least until this year. And when you compare it to your favourite, Sainsbury, there's no comparison in terms of which has been the better investment.

Regards,

Leither.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » January 5th, 2017, 2:10 pm

Leither wrote:
idpickering wrote:

I've never held Next but it's a company I've long admired, not least for the trouble they went to to explain their policy on share buy-backs. I would hardly call Next a "niche trendy share". You just need to look at the 10 year graph of the share price to see what a success it's been, at least until this year. And when you compare it to your favourite, Sainsbury, there's no comparison in terms of which has been the better investment.

Regards,

Leither.

I bow to your post Leither, however no-one can tell the future. I'll stick with Sainsbury thanks.

Ian.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”