Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Do you ever sell HYP low yielders?

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Re: Do you ever sell HYP low yielders?

Postby Gengulphus » January 10th, 2017, 4:06 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:Something that comes out of this discussion is that it seems we have no published strategy. Hence if a newbie came to the board how might he figure out what to do?

That's because we use HYP strategies - plural - with different HYPers using different HYP strategies. They have some general characteristics in common - aimed at getting income, investing in a well-diversified selection of high-yielding equities, with attempts to select ones whose dividends are safe, and generally hanging on to them for a long time (so little or no voluntary selling). Within that, there's scope for quite a lot of variations, such as:

* how widely one looks for the shares - e.g. UK only or also including foreign shares, and if the latter, whether only the main foreign markets or also emerging ones;
* which of historical, rolling historical and forecast yield one looks at;
* how high a share's yield has to be to count as high;
* which 'dividend safety criteria' one uses to attempt to select shares whose dividends are safe;
* how well-diversified - people range at least from 15 shares up to 40+;
* whether one does no voluntary selling or a little of it;
* if one does a little voluntary selling, what it's aimed at - for instance, at increasing income by trading up from a company whose yield has become low to one with a significantly higher income, or at reducing the company-specific risk to income caused by holdings that have grown to produce a large fraction of the portfolio income;
* almost certainly quite a few others I haven't thought of offhand.

We do have a number of strategies published by specific HYPers, but we don't have a published "The HYP strategy" because we would never agree on it! What we have in common is not a highly specific strategy that we can tell people they should use, but a broad strategic approach within which we can offer people quite a lot of different strategies - but that have enough in common to provide some sort of common ground for discussion.

That does inevitably mean that newbies will have to look at the options on offer and choose which to use - or indeed create a new option for themselves, e.g. by picking and combining the elements of other HYPers' strategies that make sense to them.

DiamondEcho wrote:Previous comments up-topic^ about the sift-metrics I noted and are guided by are useful. They are based on Stephen Bland's earliest posts outlining the strategy. But since that goes back to the year 2000 it might be reasonable to consider the given metrics/hurdle-rates as long expired. And that would explain why my notes contain an updated version, quite probably assisted by TJH's linked^ post.

So it's an example of what I just described - you picked and combined elements of others' strategies to create one for yourself. You could very reasonably have said "Them's my rules" about them - but if you suggest that everyone should be following them by saying things like "Them were the rules", expect disagreement!

DiamondEcho wrote:If it's correct that we have no published HYP selection and management strategy, perhaps we could collectively Wiki-Lemon one?

That's doomed to failure IMHO, because e.g. pyad's original HYP strategy (as used for HYP1) and tjh290633's are quite simply incompatible on a number of points - such as that tjh290633's strategy goes for over twice as much diversification as pyad's (over 30 shareholdings so far rather than just 15) and tjh290633's has a policy of voluntarily selling shares for investment reasons (such as a holding growing overweight or dropping to too low a yield), while pyad's has a policy of never doing so (*). My own HYP strategies (I have four, one for my main HYP and three for demo HYPs) differ from both of them and from each other - and I'm pretty certain that there are various other Fools whose HYP strategies differ from all of them.

Faced with that sort of incompatibility, an attempt to collectively form one strategy will simply become a never-ending argument about which way it should be resolved. As evidence of that, we've had many years of such discussions about portfolio size, 'tinkering' (voluntary selling) and various other issues on TMF, with no sign of them being resolved...

What might stand a better chance is some sort of repository of multiple HYP strategies, for people to browse through and pick the one they like - or more than one that they want to 'hybridise'. It would need some sort of rules, e.g. along the lines of "anyone can contribute their strategy; others can ask for clarification and it should (within reason) be provided; others should not use that as a way of attacking the strategy - if they think it should be done differently, they should instead contribute their own strategy".

(*) It has very occasionally sold for admin reasons, basically to ease the job of running and reporting on HYP1 - there have been three such cases to date. (Selling United Utilities rights as the quickest and simplest way through its rather messy 2-stage rights issue; selling some tiny Mondi holdings when they were demerged from Anglo American; selling Alliance & Leicester to avoid ending up holding a foreign share when it was taken over.)

Gengulphus

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » January 10th, 2017, 6:52 pm

Gengulphus

Well put. Could not have put it better. You certainly deserve a pat on the back for that.

Raptor

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » January 10th, 2017, 7:00 pm

Ah, so various approaches are permitted? And it's not after all chiselled into a single set of biblical tablets, that someone suggested last night in a 'J'accuse!' fashion that I was not a follower of, and hence shouldn't be posting on this board :lol: Well I'm glad it is accepted that the strategy can be somewhat adapted to suit personal circumstances, experiences and goals. I do suspect anyway that many likely run their own minor variations upon a core theme, all believing we have individual and equally valid reasons. Not least because identifying a currently valid set of criteria for a 'core theme' is work in progress.

Instep
2 Lemon pips

Postby Instep » January 10th, 2017, 7:01 pm

Raptor wrote:Gengleplus

You have still got time to edit that. :) :D
Or maybe it was just a compliment.

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » January 10th, 2017, 7:29 pm

Instep wrote:

I hate my tab 3 and predictive text. However as a moderator I have no time limit.... :lol:

Raptor

Instep
2 Lemon pips

Postby Instep » January 10th, 2017, 10:17 pm

Raptor wrote:
Instep wrote:

I hate my tab 3 and predictive text. However as a moderator I have no time limit.... :lol:

Raptor

Now Gengulphus will never know!

MDW1954
Lemon Quarter

Postby MDW1954 » January 10th, 2017, 10:20 pm

Ah, so various approaches are permitted?

If you look at the the new board descriptors (which have been in place a couple of days now) you will see that the focus is perhaps a little more inclusive than at TMF, on both the "Strategies" and "Practical" boards.

MDW1954

Markblox

Postby Markblox » January 13th, 2017, 6:14 pm

micrographia wrote:
I've bought ULVR 3 times over the last 7 years (first April 2009, forecast yield above 5% and last Oct 13 when my records show a forecast yield around 3.8%) when it was a worthwhile candidate in the context of my HYP; it's very big, has a good divi record, was yielding at or above the FTSE average at the time and any "better" candidates would have put my portfolio overweight in another sector. It wouldn't be added to at present - yield too low and sector contribution too high.

Whilst reading this post I have looked at my records and amazingly I also first bought in April 09, on the 20th at £12.91 and again at the end of Aug 16 and also mid November 16. Not sure it was strictly a HYP share last time at £31.32 but I suppose I'm not a purist!

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » January 13th, 2017, 6:25 pm

MDW1954 wrote:Ah, so various approaches are permitted? MDW1954

Maybe we're in the modern education era of HYP, it's all about intentions and feelings? So if you believe you run a HYP, that's all that matters. How times have changed from the pogroms upon those with 'non-core' group-approved ideas :lol:

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » January 13th, 2017, 6:56 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:Ah, so various approaches are permitted? ...

Various approaches, yes.

All approaches, with one just having to believe in one's approach, well, one is permitted to take just about whatever approach one likes to running one's own investments, of course, with only the law able to deny permission (e.g. about an 'insider dealing' approach), not us.

But as far as calling it "HYP" when discussing one's approach on TLF is concerned, if it's not within or pretty close to the broad area I described earlier ("They have some general characteristics in common - aimed at getting income, investing in a well-diversified selection of high-yielding equities, with attempts to select ones whose dividends are safe, and generally hanging on to them for a long time (so little or no voluntary selling)"), it would be asking for trouble! Just what sort of trouble, I don't know yet, as I've seen too little of how the TLF moderators operate - could be unnecessary arguments caused by misunderstandings, could be having posts moved or removed by the moderators, could probably be other things I haven't thought of.

And by the way, I'm in no hurry to find out what sort of trouble! ;-)

Gengulphus

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » January 14th, 2017, 8:52 am

DiamondEcho wrote:
MDW1954 wrote:Ah, so various approaches are permitted? MDW1954

So if you believe you run a HYP, that's all that matters.

I guess that was a joke and you missed the smiley off that sentence.

Arb.

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » January 14th, 2017, 3:33 pm

No it wasn't intended as a joke, I'm really quite confused. HYPers used to be purists, acting according to clear Pyadic rules, now some are saying personal interpretation is fine. But recall that the HYP [purist] board led to the creation of the HY-Strategies board, for people discussing anything other than the purist approach. It was created because some people were there talk was OT on HYP.
I recall 'getting it in the neck' from certain regulars for a) holding a couple of allegedly 'ineligible' shares in a HYP b) cutting occasionally, rather than holding forever c) choosing where to top-up rather than letting the HYPTUS specifically guide me d) investing on margin e) investing in something from the FTSE-250, even if it's Market Capn is well above what was 'permitted' when the HYP rules for the FTSE were originally put together, and so on.

Hence I'm left unsure what this board is for, purist HYP, or anyone's personal interpretation of it.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » January 14th, 2017, 3:45 pm

DE, I thought this board was an extension of the HYP Practical board - if it isn't, then I'm confused and baffled too. What would be the point of having a HYP PRactical board which is the same as the HY Strategy board?

So "it's a HYP if you believe it is" is surely nonsense, which I suppose now is what you meant. Custom and practice on the TMF board allowed us to develop some variations, which were nevertheless closely aligned to the spirit of a Doris type HYP, but it is, and must be, a fairly limited box we operate in.

Well, that's how I understand it, unless the world has turned upside down while I was looking elsewhere.

Arb.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » January 14th, 2017, 4:04 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:
I recall 'getting it in the neck' from certain regulars for

a) holding a couple of allegedly 'ineligible' shares in a HYP

b) cutting occasionally, rather than holding forever

c) choosing where to top-up rather than letting the HYPTUS specifically guide me

d) investing on margin

e) investing in something from the FTSE-250, even if it's Market Cap is well above what was 'permitted' when the HYP rules for the FTSE were originally put together, and so on.

Hence I'm left unsure what this board is for, purist HYP, or anyone's personal interpretation of it.

For the avoidance of any doubt, with regards to your point C, the HYPTUSS certainly isn't something that I'd ever recommend people slavishly follow when they are looking to top-up any income-related investments, and I'd be really concerned if people were to do that to be absolutely honest.

It's designed (in correlation with Terry's own top-up methods) to offer an insight where new capital may be best allocated from a purely mechanical income/capital 'look-through' of your existing portfolio. The key word there is, of course, 'insight'....

Clearly, when you're presented with such insight, you've still got to examine the results presented to you and also make decisions based on other key information that you may be well aware of as an owner of a particular investment and your own particular portfolio. Each of us may have our own preferences as to just what other information might be used to make those decisions, but I can think of some quite clearly just off the top of my head -

1. The company may have given guidance that it might cut it's dividend, or even cease payments altogether for a while.

2. The income generated from a company may be near, or already over, a limit you place on your portfolio in terms of whether a company will be topped up if it already contributes a sizeable level of the overall portfolio income, so as to help keep income at a level of diversification across the portfolio that you're content with.

3. Similarly, the capital already allocated to a particular company, in terms of that percentage compared with the whole portfolio, may be at a level where you don't want to allocate more capital to a particular share, to help keep capital diversification within your own limits.

There will no doubt be many other possible reasons why someone may wish to ignore the HYPTUSS rankings as 'offered' by the tool, and I'd absolutely encourage people to think along the above lines and do just that, perhaps working their way down the ranking list until they get to a company that passes all their own portfolio guidelines.

So I'm surprised to hear that you may have 'got it in the neck' by not following the HYPTUSS, as that's what I do all the time, and I'd expect most others would do similarly.

There's certainly no 'silver-bullet' with investing, and whilst there may be tools available to help save time, and highlight specific aspects of our portfolios, I think we still need to make sure that we're happy with all the decisions we make ourselves, and I'd hate to think that anyone has ever invested on the back of a HYPTUSS ranking without also being 100% happy with that decision in their own mind, having given the prospect lots of serious thought.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

MDW1954
Lemon Quarter

Postby MDW1954 » January 14th, 2017, 4:51 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:No it wasn't intended as a joke, I'm really quite confused.

And I didn't help matters by quoting your own words back to you (about various approaches being permitted) and the quote system making it look as though I had written it, not you.

Blame itsallaguess for that! :D (Although I'm sure I'll get it right one day... and it is working quite often for me.)

But in answer to your question ("are various approaches permitted?") my answer was essentially to try to say yes, this is a more relaxed place than TMF. It is *not* pure Pyad-HYP. The moderator-agreed board descriptor is quite clear on that.

That said, I'm sure we don't want endless religious wars about competing flavours of HYP: those sorts of discussions do not belong on a board devoted to the practical issues associated high-yield equity investing.

MDW1954

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » January 14th, 2017, 4:54 pm

Ok got it, thanks! :)

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » January 14th, 2017, 6:02 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:No it wasn't intended as a joke, I'm really quite confused. HYPers used to be purists, acting according to clear Pyadic rules, now some are saying personal interpretation is fine. But recall that the HYP [purist] board led to the creation of the HY-Strategies board, for people discussing anything other than the purist approach. It was created because some people were there talk was OT on HYP.

It was actually the other way round. The HYP Practical board was created because the original HYP board had become overwhelmed with dicussions such as this, about what an HYP should or should nor be, and the original board was renamed High Yield - Strategies.

So really your arguments are better rehearsed on the HY-Strategies board.

TJH

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » January 14th, 2017, 10:14 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:No it wasn't intended as a joke, I'm really quite confused. HYPers used to be purists, acting according to clear Pyadic rules, now some are saying personal interpretation is fine.

Some HYPers used to be "purists" - and some still are. And yes, you will encounter them from time to time, and as long as they stick to giving their viewpoint rather than trying to impose it on the board, that's fine: the whole point of discussing what to do with one's HYP is to get a range of viewpoints...

But if you think that "HYPers used to be purists" is true as a general statement about HYPers, perhaps you can say when you're talking about?

To help, it certainly hasn't been true since June 2008, when http://web.archive.org/web/201209011528 ... 01244.aspx was posted just after the TMF High Yield - HYP Practical board was set up. If you look at its section 6, which is the bit saying what counts as a HYP, you'll find it says such things as:

"With high dividend yields, and safety factors that suggest that their dividend income is sustainable and will hopefully grow. Typical safety factors used are one or more of high market capitalisation, good dividend cover, a good record of dividend growth, and low gearing. HYP strategies vary in which safety factors they use, so no individual safety factor is essential - but having some of them is!"

which clearly indicates that personal interpretation about which safety factors are used was OK - including less typical ones that it doesn't list.

Another is:

"That they hold for long periods, to reduce the effect of trading costs. Typical average holding periods range from several years to decades. That doesn't exclude selling shares entirely, but does mean that sales should be very few and far between."

which clearly indicates that personal interpretation about whether one ever sells was OK.

As for "strategic ignorance", it says absolutely nothing about it - which implies that personal interpretation about whether to use it at all, and if so exactly what form, was also fine.

And actually, personal interpretation was accepted long before that - e.g. tjh290633 was able to post http://web.archive.org/web/201701141635 ... 62872.aspx in April 2003 suggesting sales to trim back overweight holdings, without exciting any "That's against the rules" comment (or at least, none that survives - it's conceivable some was posted and removed by the moderators).

In short, personal interpretation has been OK for a very long time now - indeed, I'm not sure it was ever not OK. I.e. the battle you appear to be fighting is one that was won long ago - if it ever needed fighting at all!

Gengulphus

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » January 15th, 2017, 1:34 am

Gengulphus wrote:...or at least, none that survives - it's conceivable some was posted and removed by the moderators...

There weren't - I've checked (look for the tell-tale missing post numbers in the board index). The first deleted post after that April posting was in June, re: a completely different topic.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » January 15th, 2017, 4:08 am

Breelander wrote:
Gengulphus wrote:...or at least, none that survives - it's conceivable some was posted and removed by the moderators...

There weren't - I've checked (look for the tell-tale missing post numbers in the board index). The first deleted post after that April posting was in June, re: a completely different topic.

Unless you've done a complete check of every missing post number up to the end of the board's history (which I very much doubt!), it remains conceivable. And it did in fact occasionally happen on the TMF boards that someone posted a reply to a thread that had last been posted to years before...

Gengulphus

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”