Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

To Do(M) or not to Do(M) ?

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
monabri
Lemon Half

To Do(M) or not to Do(M) ?

Postby monabri » January 8th, 2017, 5:49 pm

I'd be interested to hear views on Domino's Pizza Group. Looking over their financials they seem to tick the boxes [Dividend ~6.0% , Turnover and EPS growing, gearing at <20%,ROCE 64%!,PE of 12, but div cover of only 1.3]. I'm tempted to get a slice?

monabri
Lemon Half

Re: To Do(M) or not to Do(M) ?

Postby monabri » January 9th, 2017, 12:24 am

Thanks for that. It is very easy to be caught out... especially when two sites suggest the yld is ~6%

http://investing.thisismoney.co.uk/quote/DOM

and

http://uk.advfn.com/p.php?pid=financial ... =LSE%3ADOM

whilst

http://www.dividenddata.co.uk/ [i.e. your reference] and the LSE both indicate a yld of ~2%

There is a note in the dividendata page - "Note - 12/2015 final dividend adjusted for June 2016 3 for 1 share split. Actual dividend was 11.75p."

I'm somewhat confused! I don't see any "step change" downwards in the share price in "DOM" when I look over the last 5 years.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » January 9th, 2017, 2:15 am

monabri wrote:I'm somewhat confused! I don't see any "step change" downwards in the share price in "DOM" when I look over the last 5 years.

Depends where you look. Most data sources retrospectively adjust the historic price before a split to 'help' you compare like with like. Google is one that doesn't - compare the price for 24th June 2016 with the day of the split, 27th June.
http://www.google.co.uk/finance/histori ... 120&num=30

Yahoo (confusingly) shows two prices, one adjusted for the 3:1 split for prices prior to 27th June and one labelled '*Adj close' being adjusted down by a third prior to the 27th.
https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/q/hp?s=DOM ... z=66&y=132

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » January 9th, 2017, 10:24 am

Thanks Breelander. The graph in google illustrated the share split with the share price fall as one would expect.

This was (worringly) not apparent from the graphs [1 year view of the share price] on the London Stock Exchange (!!).

Looks like DOM picked a good day for the share split, if I recall, something was happening around the end of June 2016 in the UK....

So, I think in future I will refer to the "dividendata" page as suggested by ap8889.

StepOne
Lemon Slice

Postby StepOne » January 9th, 2017, 1:51 pm

There's no guarantee that dividendata site will always adjust it's figures, or always do it correctly, so it's a good idea to check multiple sites prior to making a decision. Or..... just use 'forecast' dividend figures which are available in a few places, and should always be based on the current number of shares in issue.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » January 9th, 2017, 1:56 pm

monabri wrote:This was (worringly) not apparent from the graphs [1 year view of the share price] on the London Stock Exchange (!!).

The LSE's graph has been adjusted for the share split. As I said, most sources do this. Historic dividend data is also routinely adjusted for share splits. It makes sense if you want to look at the share price (or dividend) performance over a number of years - you don't need to be aware of a share split. A precipitous fall for no apparent reason isn't representative of the value of the company, the adjusted data is.

If you need the actual price/dividend (for tax purposes, say) then most companies provide both the adjusted and the actual figures on their Investor Relations website.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » January 9th, 2017, 5:33 pm

I agree that the horse's mouth is the best source for dividend information, be it RNS postings or web site data.

Forecasts are just that and unless they come from the company itself, I ignore them. A bit like Brexit forecasts:-)

TJH

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » January 9th, 2017, 7:44 pm

Breelander wrote:If you need the actual price/dividend (for tax purposes, say) then most companies provide both the adjusted and the actual figures on their Investor Relations website.

And as a last resort if they don't, or if they do but those figures look wrong / unclear, one can generally harvest them and details of relevant corporate actions (e.g. share splits, share consolidations, rights issues) from annual reports on the website. At some cost in time and effort because of having to download multiple reports, of course - which is why it's a last resort!

Gengulphus

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”