Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

My Jan 17 addition

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Re: My Jan 17 addition

Postby Breelander » January 13th, 2017, 8:24 pm

Raptor wrote:Sorry I have a life outsife of TFL..

So do I - sadly it's elsewhere on the web. :roll:

idpickering
The full Lemon

Re: My Jan 07 addition

Postby idpickering » January 19th, 2017, 9:46 am

idpickering wrote:So, on returning to this thread, I'm just confirming that on 20 Jan 17 my first dollop of Admiral Group will be bought. As it stands right now, that'll be followed up with the second batch in Feb 17. To be confirmed nearer the time, but thereafter my plan is to top up Carillion in Mar, Centrica in Apr, then bring a newbie on board, that being United Utilities, that being bought over May and June. All this being if an opportunity elsewhere doesn't raise it's head.

Regards,

Ian.

Further to my comment above, and in keeping with openness and honesty to this board, and in line with my fickleness (pickering), I have decided to not bring Admiral on board, but go with my fall back option of topping up my AZN holdings instead. My reasoning is that I'd rather buy a tried and tested dividend payer such as AZN rather than a share who's SP seems to be in terminal decline, ie catching a falling knife. I'm minded to be cautious, and not take undue risks, by what happened with PSON yesterday. I am aware of the decline of the SP of RMG this morning, but am holding off adding there for now. You don't have to have a finger in every pie.

Regards,

Ian.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » January 19th, 2017, 10:11 am

Isn't that funny Ian I was thinking that Admiral was starting to move into an attractive income range again; the specials, although consistent, could be scrapped easily on and when the yield, special excluded, breaches 4ish I think they're interesting. Admiral's price has dropped the ex-special yield below 3% much of last year ruling them out. I look at AZN from time to time but poor dividend growth eliminates them. I bought in 2011 with a decade of rising dividends, in their native currency - that was the last year the dividend increased.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » January 19th, 2017, 10:22 am

kempiejon wrote:Isn't that funny Ian I was thinking that Admiral was starting to move into an attractive income range again; the specials, although consistent, could be scrapped easily on and when the yield, special excluded, breaches 4ish I think they're interesting. Admiral's price has dropped the ex-special yield below 3% much of last year ruling them out. I look at AZN from time to time but poor dividend growth eliminates them. I bought in 2011 with a decade of rising dividends, in their native currency - that was the last year the dividend increased.

Thanks for your input kempiejon. For me I think I'd rather wait and see what they say in their full year results on 01 Mar 17. I'm not ruling them out forever, maybe. I'd rather wait to see what they say in the results before I'm willing to dip my toes. I can feel a 'rebasing' coming on with ADM.

https://admiralgroup.co.uk/investor-rel ... l-calendar

Regards,

Ian.

fireblade909

Postby fireblade909 » January 29th, 2017, 5:46 pm

Admiral seems to be quite a favourite in the HYP world. However I don't fully share the enthusiasm for a company that has not grown its turnover and EPS over the past few years. These metrics need to grow for the dividend to increase in a healthy context

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » January 29th, 2017, 7:57 pm

fireblade909 wrote:Admiral seems to be quite a favourite in the HYP world. However I don't fully share the enthusiasm for a company that has not grown its turnover and EPS over the past few years. These metrics need to grow for the dividend to increase in a healthy context

Thanks for your input on this. I have no regrets for changing my mind and opting for AZN instead. British Land look like getting topped up next month.

Ian

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”