Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Tesco Trading Statement

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
idpickering
The full Lemon

Tesco Trading Statement

Postby idpickering » January 12th, 2017, 10:18 am

Third Quarter (13 weeks ended 26 November 2016)

"· Group like-for-like sales growth of 1.5%

o UK like-for-like sales growth of 1.8%

§ First quarterly market share gain since 2011

§ Eighth consecutive quarter of like-for-like volume growth

o International like-for-like sales growth of 0.6%, building on last year's strong performance and reflecting a more competitive environment in Poland

Christmas (six weeks ended 7 January 2017)

· Group like-for-like sales growth of 0.3%

o UK like-for-like sales growth of 0.7%

§ Food like-for-like sales up 1.3%, with significant market outperformance in fresh food

§ Impact of (0.8)% on total UK like-for-like sales from not repeating Clubcard 'Boost' promotion, leading to lower general merchandise sales

§ Strong performance in clothing and toys, with sales up 4.3% and 8.5% respectively

o International like-for-like sales performance of (1.2)% reflects a particularly strong seasonal performance last year in addition to weaker consumer spending in Thailand"

http://www.investegate.co.uk/tesco-plc- ... 00089578T/

idpickering
The full Lemon

Re: Tesco Trading Statement

Postby idpickering » January 12th, 2017, 10:19 am

Sorry about the duplicate post. Didn't notice this had been done already.

Ian.

Phileasrob
Lemon Pip

Postby Phileasrob » January 12th, 2017, 12:17 pm

No sign of the divi...... :cry:

Horsey
Lemon Pip

Postby Horsey » January 12th, 2017, 1:01 pm

idpickering wrote:Sorry about the duplicate post. Didn't notice this had been done already.

Ian.

No worries, it isn't a competition ;)

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » January 12th, 2017, 1:42 pm

ap8889 wrote:At some point Tescos years in the wilderness will end, but right now it remains on the naughty step...

....where it's not alone! Here comes CLLN.... :lol:

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » January 12th, 2017, 1:44 pm

Horsey wrote:
idpickering wrote:Sorry about the duplicate post. Didn't notice this had been done already.

Ian.

No worries, it isn't a competition ;)

Thanks Horsey. I shall pay more attention going forward.

Ian.

Phileasrob
Lemon Pip

Postby Phileasrob » January 12th, 2017, 3:23 pm

idpickering wrote:
ap8889 wrote:At some point Tescos years in the wilderness will end, but right now it remains on the naughty step...

Thanks Ian - now I'm really depressed! :x

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » January 12th, 2017, 3:31 pm

Phileasrob wrote:
idpickering wrote:

You're not alone if you hold CLLN. They're my worst performer as regards SP, but I'm looking at topping up in a couple of months.

Ian.

Phileasrob
Lemon Pip

Postby Phileasrob » January 12th, 2017, 3:44 pm

idpickering wrote:
Phileasrob wrote:
idpickering wrote:

You're not alone if you hold CLLN. They're my worst performer as regards SP, but I'm looking at topping up in a couple of months.

Ian.

I do hold and they were my last top up. Nothing ventured.........

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » January 12th, 2017, 5:34 pm

Phileasrob wrote:
idpickering wrote:
Phileasrob wrote:

Ian.

I do hold and they were my last top up. Nothing ventured.........

Firstly, sorry to have hijacked this thread. I have a history with Carillion when I used to work at a power station in Nottinghamshire 5 years ago, and was impressed by the staff's work ethic and professionalism. Hence my interest in them in the first place. They seem to be picking up contracts regularly, so it seems just a matter of sentiment towards the sector that's the issue rather than the company. That's my take on it, and I'm not selling anytime soon.

Ian.

CryptoPlankton
Lemon Slice

Postby CryptoPlankton » January 12th, 2017, 6:13 pm

idpickering wrote:
Firstly, sorry to have hijacked this thread. I have a history with Carillion when I used to work at a power station in Nottinghamshire 5 years ago, and was impressed by the staff's work ethic and professionalism. Hence my interest in them in the first place. They seem to be picking up contracts regularly, so it seems just a matter of sentiment towards the sector that's the issue rather than the company. That's my take on it, and I'm not selling anytime soon.

Ian.

Funny how personal experience can influence investment decisions. Carillion were responsible for installing a new boiler and radiators for my parents under the government Warmfront scheme - diabolical in every respect, from attitude and quality of workmanship to follow up and customer service (non-existent). I was so appalled at their incompetence and indifference I made a mental note to never even consider investing in them!

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » January 12th, 2017, 6:38 pm

CryptoPlankton wrote:
idpickering wrote:

Ian.

Funny how personal experience can influence investment decisions. Carillion were responsible for installing a new boiler and radiators for my parents under the government Warmfront scheme - diabolical in every respect, from attitude and quality of workmanship to follow up and customer service (non-existent). I was so appalled at their incompetence and indifference I made a mental note to never even consider investing in them!

Hmm, thanks for your input CrytoPlankon. That's a real shame. It is a fact I guess that our personal experiences are likely to influence our investment decisions.

Ian.

Phileasrob
Lemon Pip

Postby Phileasrob » January 13th, 2017, 10:25 am

Ian.

Morning Ian.

At least you can say you have had some experience at dealing with them. I suppose it's like any big company, there are good workers and bad ones but hopefully more of the former. I am happy to hold as like you, I am in it for the long term.

PR

OLTB
Lemon Quarter

Postby OLTB » January 13th, 2017, 10:32 am

idpickering wrote:

Hmm, thanks for your input CrytoPlankon. That's a real shame. It is a fact I guess that our personal experiences are likely to influence our investment decisions.

Ian.

Perhaps - although I have still invested in Greene King in spite of my 18 year old working there during Uni holidays and knowing his personal hygiene habits...

OLTB.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » January 13th, 2017, 10:35 am

OLTB wrote:
idpickering wrote:

Ian.

Perhaps - although I have still invested in Greene King in spite of my 18 year old working there during Uni holidays and knowing his personal hygiene habits...

OLTB.

Oh yuck! I was looking at them via the screener on digitallook this morning funnily enough! But just how diversified do you have to be to include them anyway? Not sure?

Ian.

OLTB
Lemon Quarter

Postby OLTB » January 13th, 2017, 10:51 am

idpickering wrote:
But just how diversified do you have to be to include them anyway? Not sure?

Ian.

Yes, I also hold Diageo and thought that at a stretch they were perhaps diversified enough to warrant a holding. My thinking was that Diageo are purely branded alcohol manufacturers whereas Greene King (as well as making ales) are in the pub/restaurant/hotel trade and expanding this area with their purchase of Spirit Pub Group in 2015.

OLTB.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » January 13th, 2017, 11:57 am

OLTB wrote:
idpickering wrote:
But just how diversified do you have to be to include them anyway? Not sure?

Ian.

Yes, I also hold Diageo and thought that at a stretch they were perhaps diversified enough to warrant a holding. My thinking was that Diageo are purely branded alcohol manufacturers whereas Greene King (as well as making ales) are in the pub/restaurant/hotel trade and expanding this area with their purchase of Spirit Pub Group in 2015.

OLTB.

Hi again OLTB, thanks for coming back on that. As you can see I hold DGE, but it's not the highest of yielders, nor cheap, hence me looking at either GNK or maybe MARS, although the later is a bit small on the market cap size. You don't have to have everything on board, I get that, but 'sin' stocks, your fags etc, are certainly handy in a HYP I think. Yeah, I might just follow your lead re GNK in the future perhaps.

Regards,

Ian.

OLTB
Lemon Quarter

Postby OLTB » January 13th, 2017, 12:17 pm

idpickering wrote: As you can see I hold DGE, but it's not the highest of yielders, nor cheap,.

Thanks Ian - my DGE is an historical holding after dipping my toe into buying shares for my retirement after reading TMF's '5 shares to retire on'!! It was reading this article (a number of years ago now) that led to me committing £10k between DGE/TSCO/ULVR/NG/GSK. Wouldn't top up DGE now though for the same reason you mention - the yield is a little too low.

OLTB.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”