Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Pearson Trading Statement

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Re: Pearson Trading Statement

Postby Arborbridge » January 19th, 2017, 7:55 am

Terry said,

To my mind this is a classic case for doing nothing when the bad news comes out. If you want to sell, a better opportunity may well come along. If the dividend is halved, then the yield will still be 4.5% and there may be justification for switching into something with a decent yield that is more reliable.

Having been out last night, I didn't see any posts from mid afternoon.

This morning I awoke clear eyed to find Terry's post quoted above giving his verdict which I had been keenly awaiting.
It confirms what I was thinking when I woke up, so I'm happy for the moment to sit around.

No one knows what will be the best action, but I have a feeling the medium term may not be good for Pearson. I can see very few bright spots and I'll be looking for a chance to move on when the dust settles.

Those who sold last year can all chorus "I told you so" (not that you would do that, but you could be forgiven for thinking it).

Arb.

TahiPanas

Postby TahiPanas » January 19th, 2017, 8:30 am

Dod1010 wrote:
monabri wrote:Only Liberum Capital called it !
Goldman Sachs view was 808p on 13 Jan 17.
Alphavalue view 986p today!!
Numis view 710p today
Investec 835p on 5th Jan.

It seems pointless looking at most broker's views!

It is pointless looking at most broker's views. They know little more than you or I and for the most part it is not their money they are considering anyway. You need to look, think and act (even if 'act' means moving on to the next opportunity, that is, not buying) You need to decide for yourself and in order to do that you need to be in the market getting a feel for what is happening.

Dod

Liberium were not the only people who called it. I'm too lazy to look back through the old TMF posts. Somebody will probably do it now. However, I recall that the poor outlook for Pearson was discussed and anticipated by others at one time. I can't remember what I said but I was one of the posters reluctant to hold them.

For some time I worked at the literal chalk face for a cutting edge educational provider. It was obvious many years ago that educational delivery was changing with the use of various types of digital gizmos such as interactive white boards, desktop computers overhead projectors, etc. and online resources at home. Hard copy textbooks were still essential but no longer the sole medium.

As noted in the above correspondence, when Pearson sold its newspapers it was thought to be over-concentrating on a declining but nevertheless highly competitive market. I think some on TMF got it right.

All of the above raises perennial questions for we LTBH types. How can we avoid getting sucked into the TESCOs and Pearsons of this world? Since we can't have inside knowledge of every industry we need to rely on the old standbys of diversification and basic financial scrutiny of potential holdings. Those few of us who are lucky enough to be familiar with a particular field may occasionally buy or avoid a company we know. However, I personally believe that a wary eye on the macro side of the economy is very helpful if you happen to have an interest in such things. Most don't of course.

I sell vary rarely but have no hesitation if I think I see a lemon growing. I'm also suspicious of very high dividends and try to keep an occasional eye on such companies.

The only incey wincey downside is that I am just a tad crap at timing the whole thing.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » January 19th, 2017, 8:47 am

Itsallaguess wrote:Anyone who thinks they can avoid them completely is either kidding themselves, or has been incredibly lucky until now, or both!!

Perhaps you and I only think that because we're not clever enough to do it and can't believe that some can.

For us chumps with normal luck and below average investing smarts, as another poster said, hold a diversified portfolio for the long term, I'd agree that reduces these events to low significance. I hold over 40 shares and this is a mere breeze, as it'll be a few years until I'm dependant on my HYP income and I intend to have a buffer and a safety zone I can't see it'd matter if I was not in the building phase either.

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » January 19th, 2017, 8:52 am

TahiPanas wrote:Liberium were not the only people who called it.

Grimer and Raptor both warned me off Pearson in early November when I first posted about candidates for a new HYP. Hat tip to those two!

Terry.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » January 19th, 2017, 8:56 am

Speculating on who called it who didn't isn't very helpful. We would be prey to confirmation bias however one plays it.

One example of calling it right is interesting, but it ignores all the times things were called wrong. If I listened to every judgement and tried to act on them, I'd go rapidly mad and give up.

So we are probably back with what Itsallaguess said:

Anyone who thinks they can avoid them completely is either kidding themselves, or has been incredibly lucky until now, or both!!

A HYP or a generalist IT, or even (dare I say it!) an ETF for the whole market is a sensible solution over the long term.

Others will want to try their luck in other ways, but I've found HYP suits my purpose.

Darka
Lemon Slice

Postby Darka » January 19th, 2017, 9:06 am

Not sure this will help their long term vision, more selling off of the family jewels..

Selling off or recapitalizing their Penguin stake.

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/news/pea ... ailsignout

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » January 19th, 2017, 9:14 am

Arborbridge wrote:A HYP or a generalist IT, or even (dare I say it!) an ETF for the whole market is a sensible solution over the long term.

Others will want to try their luck in other ways, but I've found HYP suits my purpose.

This rings with me as my HYP approaches the income level I want with a few years before I need it. I like the HYP method and I can see the output easily and I have over the years of practical experience understood it. I have been thinking about about buying more of the whole market using collectives, an all world ETF basket and some international ITs have recently piqued my interest - but I'll leave that for other boards.

OhNoNotimAgain
Lemon Slice

Postby OhNoNotimAgain » January 19th, 2017, 10:04 am

idpickering wrote:
ap8889 wrote:...my adherence to not selling even in the face of gathering bad omens has cost me a little today.

Much as I sympathise with your plight, it is worth remembering that you still hold 'x' number of shares of PSON. The loss would become a reality should you sell. At the moment, it's on paper/computer screen. This meant respectfully.

Ian.

No, it is on your balance sheet. It doesn't matter if it is cash or an equity position. Its value has changed.

Rob

OhNoNotimAgain
Lemon Slice

Postby OhNoNotimAgain » January 19th, 2017, 12:35 pm

Deev8 wrote:
OhNoNotimAgain wrote:In any case it was established long ago that there was a low correlation between an economy and its stock market.

You don't happen to have a handy reference for that piece of research do you? I would be an interesting read.

Dave

"As can be seen, there is a negative correlation between GDP growth per capita and equity market returns."

https://publications.credit-suisse.com/ ... B5D14A7818

Rob

StepOne
Lemon Slice

Postby StepOne » January 19th, 2017, 1:19 pm

Pearson was always the smallest market cap in my portfolio (excluding S32), so much so that when I bought it I only bought a half-holding. I would do the same when buying any HYP share with a market cap less than about 10 billion. I just think that the smaller they are, the bigger the hit is going to be from any profit warning.

StepOne

Minesadouble
2 Lemon pips

Postby Minesadouble » January 19th, 2017, 1:24 pm

I just sold my Pearson position.
4 profit warnings in 5 years.
Selling off the family silver.
Trying to sell stuff people can get for free doesn't sound like a good strategy to me.
Business Model sounds flawed in an Internet savvy world.
Funds redeployed fairly equally to Greene King and Provident Financial.
Have increased my holdings in both by circa 50%, also made a small purchase of SSE to close out my position.
No real sense about whether this is right but I've lost confidence in the Pearson Management.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » January 19th, 2017, 2:44 pm

Buy Bombs, Baccy, Booze and Bookies.

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » January 19th, 2017, 3:27 pm

kempiejon wrote:Buy Bombs, Baccy, Booze and Bookies.

New betting levy on way that may hit bookies who have "overseas" platforms. Also they are still looking at the FOBT's (fixed odds betting terminals) which, when I left gave about 85% of their business (was 45% when I started 10 years before). Have bombs and booze, no baccy (personal reasons).

There is another vice not going away but do not know any companies on the FTSE in that arena. :oops:

Raptor.

OLTB
Lemon Quarter

Postby OLTB » January 19th, 2017, 4:07 pm

Raptor wrote:There is another vice not going away but do not know any companies on the FTSE in that arena. :oops:

Raptor.

Randygold Resources?

OLTB

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » January 19th, 2017, 4:46 pm

In a similar vein to Rob's last comments.

Using the HYPTUSS, hit the "ALL CHARTS" macro button for the shares in your HYP portfolio. Then superimpose the FTSE100 chart and view over say a 5 year window.

I was expecting more of a 1:1 correlation between each individual share and the FTSE. There may be some general trends...occasionally but each share more or less seems to operate independently of the FTSE100. (possible exception being Greene King in my portfolio where it did seem to follow the ups and downs).

The conclusion I came to was "little correlation with the FTSE100" and thus all you can do is to invest in good companies such as might form the constituants of a reasonable HYP portfolio.

(says the bloke who bought Marconi!! *)

* I was young, I was naive, I was foolish.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » January 19th, 2017, 6:29 pm

monabri wrote:I was expecting more of a 1:1 correlation between each individual share and the FTSE. There may be some general trends...occasionally but each share more or less seems to operate independently of the FTSE100. (possible exception being Greene King in my portfolio where it did seem to follow the ups and downs).

The conclusion I came to was "little correlation with the FTSE100" and thus all you can do is to invest in good companies such as might form the constituants of a reasonable HYP portfolio.

I keep a record of the annual movements of each share that I hold. There is always a wide divergence from the market result. Not only that, but often last year's losers are this year's winners.

TJH

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » January 19th, 2017, 7:32 pm

tjh290633 wrote:Not only that, but often last year's losers are this year's winners.
TJH

We'll take that list of last year's losers then.

For me I think Admiral, B.Land, BT. Dunelm, Inmarsat, Carrillion, Dixons, M&S. from a quick eyeball those that have fallen off in the past 12 months .

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » January 19th, 2017, 8:15 pm

kempiejon wrote:We'll take that list of last year's losers then.

For me I think Admiral, B.Land, BT. Dunelm, Inmarsat, Carrillion, Dixons, M&S. from a quick eyeball those that have fallen off in the past 12 months .

kempiejon did you mean capital or dividends? I'm not aware of any of these having cut or rebased yet, in which case they might be HYPable.
(Disclosure: I hold and have topped up Carillion.)

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » January 19th, 2017, 8:23 pm

moorfield wrote:
kempiejon wrote:We'll take that list of last year's losers then.

kempiejon did you mean capital or dividends? I'm not aware of any of these having cut or rebased yet, in which case they might be HYPable.
(Disclosure: I hold and have topped up Carillion.)

Moorfield, yes I meant capital I was replying to TJHs comment
tjh wrote:I keep a record of the annual movements of each share that I hold. There is always a wide divergence from the market result. Not only that, but often last year's losers are this year's winners.

TJH

I have topped up B.Land, M&S and Inmarsat

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » January 19th, 2017, 10:34 pm

These are my losers from 2016:

IMB     -1.23%
UU. -3.69%
AZN -3.88%
AV. -5.74%
VOD -9.57%