Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Arb HYP adjustment

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Re: Arb HYP adjustment

Postby Arborbridge » October 4th, 2022, 10:45 am

This morning I decided to topup British Land, bringing it up to median weight.

The change has brought BLND down to 12th place. The top 12 now look like this, with capital weight showing:-

Arb.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » November 21st, 2022, 4:44 pm

VOD under a pound. Well, it turns out that it was 2nd in my topup list this morning, with the top place being held by Persimmon. Since the latter is excluded for the moment, the top up prize went to VOD today.

I notice that the price paid, around 98p, is less than I paid 16 years ago, though I suspect there have been share rearrangements since then. Not that I have a record, but I know my XIRR is 5.49%. Not a great investment then, but much better than a write-off.

VOD is now fifth in the top up table, and has median capital weight. It could conceivably receive a further topup, but I suspect there will be other choices at the next decision time.

Arb.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » November 21st, 2022, 7:09 pm

Arborbridge wrote:I notice that the price paid, around 98p, is less than I paid 16 years ago, though I suspect there have been share rearrangements since then. Not that I have a record, but I know my XIRR is 5.49%. Not a great investment then, but much better than a write-off.

Arb.

Share rejigs...
https://www.dividenddata.co.uk/dividend ... y?epic=VOD

VOD - It's been a howler for me with an XIRR of -7.4%. It's bad to talk!

I bought into VOD in 2017 when I was a young and a fresh faced HYPer ( ;) ) .... would I buy or top up....no!. Margins are poor and debt is too high.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » November 21st, 2022, 7:32 pm

monabri wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:I notice that the price paid, around 98p, is less than I paid 16 years ago, though I suspect there have been share rearrangements since then. Not that I have a record, but I know my XIRR is 5.49%. Not a great investment then, but much better than a write-off.

Arb.

Share rejigs...
https://www.dividenddata.co.uk/dividend ... y?epic=VOD

VOD - It's been a howler for me with an XIRR of -7.4%. It's bad to talk!

I bought into VOD in 2017 when I was a young and a fresh faced HYPer ( ;) ) .... would I buy or top up....no!. Margins are poor and debt is too high.

Enough to make me wish I hadn't :lol:

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » January 16th, 2023, 10:34 am

In the first thoughts for the year, I have some cash build up in a broker account due to trimming AZN last week.
Some of this will leak away from the HYP, but there is some left over for a top up. So here's the top of my table, in topup rank:-

I am fairly restricted in what I can do this month, so the choices really boil down to Woodside Group or PHP, or a little of each. WDS is very new and I've no idea about dividend record. As against that, PHP can easily be seen as one of my "losers" with a negative return - but on the other hand, it seems a fairly steady dividend payer and the price has now forced the yield into HYPable territory.

As a general comment, I see those perennials, Aviva, VOD, Abdn, Lloyds, Tesco and Sainsbury are still hanging around at the top like a bad smell :lol: Buy your losers and sell you winners, eh ;)

Any input from the hive mind, aprticularly about PHP or WDS, would be welcomed, and a decision will be made today as tomorrow is cheap dealing day.

Arb.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » January 16th, 2023, 11:00 am

Well......you might consider an Aviva top up. It's number 2 on your list. Has Aviva sorted itself out and is it financially robust or will it annoy us again with a divi cut ? If you top up Av, I guess you won't be top heavy in your holding. Other thoughts about Av...it's had a divi cut...does it make it more or less likely it won't pay a divi in the near future ? Then there's other possibilities beyond discussion here.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » January 16th, 2023, 11:15 am

Arborbridge wrote:As a general comment, I see those perennials, Aviva, VOD, Abdn, Lloyds, Tesco and Sainsbury are still hanging around at the top like a bad smell Buy your losers and sell you winners, eh

I've got all of that crew, Tesco being the only one not ruled out on dividend record, I prefer 5 years of rising dividends.
Arborbridge wrote:Any input from the hive mind, aprticularly about PHP or WDS, would be welcomed,
I hold WDS from BHP, as you say no history, I don't mind hanging onto rumps produced from corporate actions but I wouldn't be topping up. If it was in my unsheltered account I might even sell as part of the annual clear out.

I don't know much about PHP but at first glance it would be worthy of further investigation of the 2 front runners.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » January 16th, 2023, 12:13 pm

kempiejon wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:As a general comment, I see those perennials, Aviva, VOD, Abdn, Lloyds, Tesco and Sainsbury are still hanging around at the top like a bad smell Buy your losers and sell you winners, eh

I've got all of that crew, Tesco being the only one not ruled out on dividend record, I prefer 5 years of rising dividends.
Arborbridge wrote:Any input from the hive mind, aprticularly about PHP or WDS, would be welcomed,
I hold WDS from BHP, as you say no history, I don't mind hanging onto rumps produced from corporate actions but I wouldn't be topping up. If it was in my unsheltered account I might even sell as part of the annual clear out.

I don't know much about PHP but at first glance it would be worthy of further investigation of the 2 front runners.

slight concern (MAYBE?) .....increasing short interest in PHP.

https://shorttracker.co.uk/company/GB00BYRJ5J14/

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » January 16th, 2023, 1:18 pm

monabri wrote:
kempiejon wrote:

No higher than it has been in the past, I notice. That was also a period of low share price, from which it re
recovered.
Can anyone see what has caused the interest from shorters?

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » January 16th, 2023, 1:20 pm

Arborbridge wrote:
monabri wrote:
kempiejon wrote:

No higher than it has been in the past, I notice. That was also a period of low share price, from which it re
recovered.
Can anyone see what has caused the interest from shorters?

Likely it's expected NAV downgrades if/when UK property market tanks?

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » January 16th, 2023, 1:26 pm

I hold PHP, as I've mentioned here before. I've bought the share six times in the last 18 months, have no intention of selling my holding, and am happy to hang onto the shares for the long term. In your shoes Arb, PHP would get the nod and maybe Aviva too. I don't hold AV.

Ian.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » January 17th, 2023, 5:30 pm

I topped up PHP today, not withstanding the fact that it is definitely one of my "losers" to date: I am 21% underwater at the moment, but hope springs eternal. The capital was reshuffled from Astrazeneca, definitaly one of my best "winners". HYPworld is a strange place, well, contrarian anyway. However, I've replaced a 1.8% yield with one of well over 5%. Strangely, I have just realised PHP was last topped up in February last year - looks like an annual tradition in the making!

After the topup, my total HYP looks like this ranked in order of size:

Note that even after the trimming, AZN is still one of my biggest holdings, along with Unilever and Diageo - all of them lowish of yield, but higher in TR.

Aviva could be my next topup if nothing changes by the time there is enough accumulated cash in that account.

Arb.

OhNoNotimAgain
Lemon Slice

Postby OhNoNotimAgain » January 17th, 2023, 5:48 pm

Arborbridge wrote:I topped up PHP today, not withstanding the fact that it is definitely one of my "losers" to date: I am 21% underwater at the moment, but hope springs eternal. The capital was reshuffled from Astrazeneca, definitaly one of my best "winners". HYPworld is a strange place, well, contrarian anyway. However, I've replaced a 1.8% yield with one of well over 5%. Strangely, I have just realised PHP was last topped up in February last year - looks like an annual tradition in the making!

After the topup, my total HYP looks like this ranked in order of size:

Note that even after the trimming, AZN is still one of my biggest holdings, along with Unilever and Diageo - all of them lowish of yield, but higher in TR.

Aviva could be my next topup if nothing changes by the time there is enough accumulated cash in that account.

Arb.

Why reinvent the wheel?
What basis are you using for these trades?

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » January 17th, 2023, 6:07 pm

I don’t blame you for topping up PHP Arb. I’m as much under water with my holdings as you, but that doesn’t bother me tbh. If I hadn’t already bought into the share six timescalready, I might consider buying even more. I’m wary of grasping at falling knives though, but am happy to hold PHP for the long term.

Ian.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » January 17th, 2023, 7:30 pm

OhNoNotimAgain wrote:Why reinvent the wheel?
What basis are you using for these trades?

I'm not quite sure where inventing the wheel comes in. I'm using a particular method of managing a HYP which has been developed over a considerable time by TJH. In your parlance, I'd say that was the wheel, so I haven't invented anything.

If you could be more specific about what you are saying, I'll give a direct answer.

Arb.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » February 11th, 2023, 12:09 pm

Yesterday, I bought some more Aviva and BATS. The resulting top up ranking now looks like this:-

You can see that there was not enough cash in the account to "push" Aviva further down, as it is still in second place. Woodside is asking for more, but Abdn, SBRY and TESCO are also rising and yield more. Any of them could be valid choices next time around, given funds are available. It's probable that I will realise some funds from a trimming of AZN, but we will see whether the yield remains under 2% for a while. Otherwise, not much dividend cash will be coming in the next month or two, being a lean period. Generally I've not known a period where so many companies seem to be sub-par for yield - 7 or 8 yield about 3% or less.

The whole portfolio in capital weight order is thus:-

That's all for now.

Crazbe7
2 Lemon pips

Postby Crazbe7 » February 11th, 2023, 9:49 pm

Arborbridge wrote:Yesterday, I bought some more Aviva and BATS. The resulting top up ranking now looks like this:-

Curious to know where you get the dividend for Woodside Energy Group to be only 5.19%?

I thought it was closer to 8.5% this year.

Crazbe7

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » February 11th, 2023, 10:32 pm

Crazbe7 wrote:
Curious to know where you get the dividend for Woodside Energy Group to be only 5.19%?

Well, I do agree that several of the dividend yield could be in doubt, not just WDS. I'm taking 108p this year as being the dividend until proved otherwise.
However, since WDS is in anycase quite near the top, it wouldn't make too much difference in my next round of decisions if it happened to be higher - it's already one of the preferred options.

Arb.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » February 12th, 2023, 12:18 pm

Interestingly, I topped up Aviva last Tuesday. BATS was then next in line of eligible shares, but their increased dividend has now ruled them out.

See viewtopic.php?p=566771#p566771

TJH

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » February 13th, 2023, 7:04 am

tjh290633 wrote:Interestingly, I topped up Aviva last Tuesday. BATS was then next in line of eligible shares, but their increased dividend has now ruled them out.

See viewtopic.php?p=566771#p566771

TJH

Is that because that's pushed the income hgher than allowed?

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”