Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

If LF got switched off for a month...

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: If LF got switched off for a month...

Postby Dod101 » August 26th, 2023, 6:23 pm

Mike4 wrote:
moorfield wrote:Just a thought experiment, would it make you a better or worse HYP practitioner?

After all, everyone here well knows the basics, right?

(or is reminder needed...)

Yes please, reminder needed as I don't know the basics.

From what I can remember of what I read in the early days of TMF, I find myself torn. I like the philosophy of Warren Buffett who basically says he buys quality companies and holds them for ever. This seems to run counter to the HYP idea of chasing dividends and re-balancing from time to time regardless of other considerations.

Do I have the wrong end of the stick? Or the wrong stick, even?

I am inclined to do that but definitely with an income bias. There is more to investing and indeed to this site than HYP investing.

Dod

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » August 26th, 2023, 6:29 pm

CryptoPlankton wrote:
Dod101 wrote:........I do not think I would miss it after the first week or so. Sadly it is far from what it was. I have not done the stats but it certainly feels much less of an investing forum than it used to be, more's the pity.

Dod

Well, the stats suggest that the "culture" ( :) ) of the site is driven by a relatively small number of posters:

50% of all posts by just 38 posters
over 20% of posts by 10 posters
over 3% of ALL posts by your good self (nearly one in every 30 posts across the whole site)

I'm not sure what the rest of us (I, for instance, post less than 1 in every 700 posts) are supposed to do about this? ;)
CP

I am sorry if I am responsible for 3% of all posts. Far too much time on my hands obviously. That is a staggering figure.

Dod
Last edited by csearle on August 26th, 2023, 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quotes tags corrected

CryptoPlankton
Lemon Slice

Postby CryptoPlankton » August 26th, 2023, 7:58 pm

Dod101 wrote:I am sorry if I am responsible for 3% of all posts. Far too much time on my hands obviously. That is a staggering figure.

Hey, it's not a bad thing! I'm just suggesting that if it concerns you that there are too many non-investing posts then, as the second most prolific poster, you could perhaps lead by example. As has been pointed out, you post plenty of non-investing content yourself, often as the OP on a thread! Like many others, I enjoy the variety of discussion across the boards, and that includes your contributions - whatever the subject. So it's really up to you (personally, I wouldn't fret about it...) :)

Hypster
Lemon Slice

Postby Hypster » August 26th, 2023, 10:41 pm

Reminds me of IAAGs challenge a few years ago.

Itsallaguess wrote:I'm going to call it 'No-look November...

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=7999&start=80#p89884

Instep
2 Lemon pips

Postby Instep » August 27th, 2023, 12:29 am

I am a long time HYPer.
I would do nothing other than checking my account balances every few days.
Instep

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » August 27th, 2023, 8:02 am

Hypster wrote:
Reminds me of IAAGs challenge a few years ago.

Itsallaguess wrote:
I'm going to call it 'No-look November...

https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=7999&start=80#p89884

Heh - we've not done that for a few years now - I might see if there's anyone up for it this year, just for a bit of interest.

It's a valid point in the context of this particular thread though, because whilst most of the regular investment-related posters probably fall into some level of 'hobbyist' category, and I'd probably say that of myself to some degree, the fact of the matter is that any long-term income-related strategy that requires access to a forum such as this to operate 'successfully' for a given individual would not be the type of income-strategy that I'd personally want to pursue over the long-term.

I want my income-strategy to be much more robust and self-regulating than that (and it is...), and whilst I'd miss what's left of the community-related side of things here on a personal level if the site were ever to go off-line, I don't think it would be likely to affect my income-investment processes at all, to be honest.

I see my time spent here as a distraction really, that helps keep me away from poking around in an income-strategy that just runs itself nowadays, and so if the site closed down, I'd miss it, but I've other distractions that would fill the space.

As an aside, and if the Lemon Fool site ever went down for good, I'd probably have a think about starting a 'High Yield Shares & Strategies' board over on Reddit, just to perhaps maintain some sense of income-related interest without all the political nonsense that's spoilt this site over recent years...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

TahiPanasDua
Lemon Slice

Postby TahiPanasDua » August 27th, 2023, 9:07 am

If LF got switched off for a month, I would be much less perplexed than I would have been a few years ago as I have drifted into ITs and ETFs rather than individual shares. I still keep my HYP shares but they are gradually becoming a minority holding. I haven't bought an individual company for several years. I think I may not be alone in this approach. Nowadays, I often don't read the HYP section.

I started my own "HYP" around 2008, IIRC, based on an article I read in Fortune magazine. Imagine my surprise a few years later when I stumbled upon MF with it's up and functioning HYPers!

But Motley Fool is not just HYP. I enjoy reading many of the other topics and hope it continues to offer great insights and occasional amusement..

I love to read Monevator but that is a different animal.

TP2

CliffEdge
Lemon Quarter

Postby CliffEdge » August 27th, 2023, 11:56 am

The investment posts are essential reading for me. Along with monevator this is my go to for financial info.
The wacky stuff I mainly hold up to the scorching light of absurdity. When I can be bothered.

rhys
Lemon Pip

Postby rhys » August 27th, 2023, 9:55 pm

If LF disappeared there's always the wild west of the ADVFN forums. If ever one desired the chaos that comes from a lack of moderation, then that's the place to lose yourself.

Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter

Postby Charlottesquare » August 28th, 2023, 11:53 am

Mike4 wrote:
moorfield wrote:Just a thought experiment, would it make you a better or worse HYP practitioner?

Yes please, reminder needed as I don't know the basics.

From what I can remember of what I read in the early days of TMF, I find myself torn. I like the philosophy of Warren Buffett who basically says he buys quality companies and holds them for ever. This seems to run counter to the HYP idea of chasing dividends and re-balancing from time to time regardless of other considerations.

Do I have the wrong end of the stick? Or the wrong stick, even?

Of course Buffet does not pay dividends out of BH, he merely enjoys receiving them into BH.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » August 28th, 2023, 12:07 pm

Would it make me better or worse? Possibly slightly worse as I would have less information - on the other hand, I might be less pro-active, and that could be a good thing!

I've not bought or sold anything since March, as it happens, but how can I possibly tell whether my HYP is better or worse because of that? And I have more or less ignored TLF financial conversations for 6-8 weeks due to various trips.

My HYP has suffered badly in that time, but I am sure that is a coincidence.

Arb.

SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Postby SalvorHardin » August 28th, 2023, 12:49 pm

Wouldn't miss it. TLF is increasingly dominated by politics and gossip, with investment posts pushed to the sidelines. I used to try to make at least one investment post a day, not any more (16 days and counting since my last one)..

Last week, when the new software banned a lot of, I assumed that I had been singled out for a ban for an unspecified reason. I wasn't bothered by that.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » August 28th, 2023, 4:10 pm

SalvorHardin wrote:Wouldn't miss it. TLF is increasingly dominated by politics and gossip, with investment posts pushed to the sidelines. I used to try to make at least one investment post a day, not any more (16 days and counting since my last one)..

Last week, when the new software banned a lot of, I assumed that I had been singled out for a ban for an unspecified reason. I wasn't bothered by that.

Re the ban aspect, I was too, and others that I know about. I think it was just a glitch of some sort, but I can't confirm that? Either way, we're all back here so it's turned out ok it seems. Maybe TLF can shed some light onto what happened? And whilst seemingly 'banned' I did miss TLF to be honest.

Ian.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » August 28th, 2023, 8:42 pm

I would miss TLF as it has become part of my life. It would not make a huge amount of difference to my HYP because that is run on fairly mechanic lines these days*. I do let some of the general chat about particular firms affect my HYP top-up decisions if I perceive more than one candidate to be of otherwise equal merit.

As for site-wide political versus investment content I see this entirely as a red herring. It is almost exclusively contained on one board, Current Affairs and News. That board is ludicrously easy to ignore. If a user chooses to peruse it then what can he/she expect? If anything overtly political pops up on almost any other board then one can just report it as being off-topic and, if it is, it will likely be moved to Current Affairs and News. So I don't buy all this: the site has become too political narrative. Personally I would like the Current Affairs and News to be made opt-in (again) but for some reason that is not happening**.

C.
* I would also miss Ian's useful dividend announcements and IAAG's equally useful regular Information posts.
** Possibly because one particularly vocal Fool didn't like all his rule-breaking, overtly political posts vanishing to a location into which he refused to opt.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » August 28th, 2023, 9:00 pm

csearle wrote:Personally I would like the Current Affairs and News to be made opt-in (again) but for some reason that is not happening**.

** Possibly because one particularly vocal Fool didn't like all his political posts vanishing to a location into which he refused to opt.

Indeed. I had this crazy notion that MY posts should not go where I did not post them, particularly not to where I chose to have no access.

BTW That did not refer to "All" my "political posts".

But I am well used to some on TLF having difficulty with the truth.
Last edited by XFool on August 28th, 2023, 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » August 28th, 2023, 9:03 pm

idpickering wrote:
SalvorHardin wrote:Wouldn't miss it. TLF is increasingly dominated by politics and gossip, with investment posts pushed to the sidelines. I used to try to make at least one investment post a day, not any more (16 days and counting since my last one)..

Re the ban aspect, I was too, and others that I know about. I think it was just a glitch of some sort, but I can't confirm that? Either way, we're all back here so it's turned out ok it seems. Maybe TLF can shed some light onto what happened? And whilst seemingly 'banned' I did miss TLF to be honest.

Ian.

I think everyone in the UK received this ban. There has been a lot of discussion about it if one has a search. Something to do with server security settings set too high.

People who are abroad or use a VPN to spoof their location seem to have escaped it. I probably have some details wrong.

scotview
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotview » August 28th, 2023, 9:07 pm

I know the OP related to HYP but if I could make a comment re non-financial traffic on TLF. I find the general discussion on news items enlightening and provide a different, more informed perspective than the bland, biased and dumbed down TV news channels.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » August 29th, 2023, 5:23 am

csearle wrote:I would miss TLF as it has become part of my life. It would not make a huge amount of difference to my HYP because that is run on fairly mechanic lines these days*. I do let some of the general chat about particular firms affect my HYP top-up decisions if I perceive more than one candidate to be of otherwise equal merit.

As for site-wide political versus investment content I see this entirely as a red herring. It is almost exclusively contained on one board, Current Affairs and News. That board is ludicrously easy to ignore. If a user chooses to peruse it then what can he/she expect? If anything overtly political pops up on almost any other board then one can just report it as being off-topic and, if it is, it will likely be moved to Current Affairs and News. So I don't buy all this: the site has become too political narrative. Personally I would like the Current Affairs and News to be made opt-in (again) but for some reason that is not happening**.

C.
* I would also miss Ian's useful dividend announcements and IAAG's equally useful regular Information posts.
** Possibly because one particularly vocal Fool didn't like all his rule-breaking, overtly political posts vanishing to a location into which he refused to opt.

Thank you for your kind comment Chris. I like to think I'm helping people hereabouts and maybe initiating some chat too, thereby ensuring the boards future maybe? I enjoy IAAG's offerings too.

Ian.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » August 29th, 2023, 6:23 am

csearle wrote:
As for site-wide political versus investment content I see this entirely as a red herring.

In a week where Darka has asked for his account to be closed, one of my favourite long-term income-investment posters, and someone with whom I've always felt a very strong kinsmanship with in terms of the income-investment journey we've been on together since the earlier Motley Fool days, I have to say that it must be a hell of a red-herring for it to have affected him so much...

https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=40414&p=610904#p610901

I will miss Darka tremendously, and I wish him well with his relatively new-found retirement.

He should know that he has always been a number of years 'ahead of me' in terms of his income-investment/retirement arc, but his involvement in TMF and Lemon Fool, and his willingness to discuss his long-term ideas. plans and motivations in detail has been a hugely welcome long-term touch-stone for me, and I'll miss his involvement here terribly.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » August 29th, 2023, 7:33 am

Itsallaguess wrote:In a week where Darka has asked for his account to be closed...
I'm sure many of us will miss Darka's presence. Hopefully he will return, happily some do.

His asserted reason for requesting his account be deleted was this...
Darka wrote:Also banned since first thing this morning, the site is now unusable and badly broken.

Whilst I'm able to login now, I doubt it will last for long before another problem starts.

So, could one of the admins delete my account - I can't be bothered with it anymore.

...which was exclusively about site access (incidentally I found this showed quite a bit of intolerance for the problems stooz is facing).

In a subsequent post he mentions also not liking the ratio of woke political posts to investment posts. As I mentioned before, the overtly political posts are concentrated in one easily avoidable place. Any that are not can be reported and, if they are indeed overtly political, will likely be moved there.

So although there might well not be enough investment-related content for some (or indeed many), the too much political content argument is mitigated by the ease with which it can be avoided.

Chris
PS As politics is involved in almost every walk of life it can't be banned at every level otherwise no-one would be able to post anything at all. A discussion about the threshold could be had I guess (probably elsewhere though).

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”