Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Ability to benchmark

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
UnclePhilip
2 Lemon pips

Ability to benchmark

Postby UnclePhilip » April 21st, 2017, 7:44 pm

Have been updating my portfolio benchmarking, but as well as comparing to FTSE AS index, I would like to find both current and historical index figures for the "FTSE AS Total Return index" ie with dividends included

Having trouble finding this; could anyone help please?

Thanks

Uncle

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Re: Ability to benchmark

Postby ReformedCharacter » April 21st, 2017, 7:46 pm

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » April 21st, 2017, 8:56 pm

ALL SHARETOT RTN
ASX.T:FSI
https://markets.ft.com/data/indices/tea ... =ASX.T:FSI

FT100 TOT RTN
UKX.T:FSI
https://markets.ft.com/data/indices/tea ... =UKX.T:FSI

For both the above, click on the icon to the right of the 'Historical Prices' title and you can pick any date range you want, up to a year at a time. Or go to the Charts tab, pick a date range and you can pick values off the charts.

UnclePhilip
2 Lemon pips

Postby UnclePhilip » April 21st, 2017, 9:40 pm

Absolutely magnificent, thank you both, much appreciated!

Uncle

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » April 22nd, 2017, 3:34 pm

Sorry for posting a link to FTSE 100 TR instead of AS TR and thank you Breelander for providing the correct information.

I'd be interested to know how other people's HYPs perform against the FTSE 100 TR which is my chosen benchmark. I only started unitising my portfolio on 01/01/2015 and when I compare my HYPish pf against the FTSE 100TR I see that it tracked it more or less exactly until the beginning of this year. Since then it has apparently (I have checked my figures) outperformed it and now stands c. 7% higher. This wasn't what I would have expected. Would anyone else care to share their benchmarked results?

RC

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » April 22nd, 2017, 5:44 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:Sorry for posting a link to FTSE 100 TR instead of AS TR and thank you Breelander for providing the correct information.

I'd be interested to know how other people's HYPs perform against the FTSE 100 TR which is my chosen benchmark. I only started unitising my portfolio on 01/01/2015 and when I compare my HYPish pf against the FTSE 100TR I see that it tracked it more or less exactly until the beginning of this year. Since then it has apparently (I have checked my figures) outperformed it and now stands c. 7% higher. This wasn't what I would have expected. Would anyone else care to share their benchmarked results?

RC

I note the FTSE value at the start of each year, against the end figure, and work out the percentage return against my own HYP start and finish values. I ignore new monies invested that year, just checking the capital performance for that year. For last year I've got the FTSE up 14.4%, and my HYP up 17.6% in capital value terms. Add to that the divis for that year at 4.3% = total return of 21.8% for last year.

Regards,

Ian.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » April 22nd, 2017, 7:14 pm

idpickering wrote:
I note the FTSE value at the start of each year, against the end figure, and work out the percentage return against my own HYP start and finish values. I ignore new monies invested that year, just checking the capital performance for that year. For last year I've got the FTSE up 14.4%, and my HYP up 17.6% in capital value terms. Add to that the divis for that year at 4.3% = total return of 21.8% for last year.

Regards,

Ian.

Thank you Ian, that's interesting. I make the FTSE 100TR up by c. 19% from the beginning to the end of last year, so it looks as if you have done well and certainly better than me over that year.

RC

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » April 22nd, 2017, 7:26 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:
idpickering wrote:

Regards,

Ian.

Thank you Ian, that's interesting. I make the FTSE 100TR up by c. 19% from the beginning to the end of last year, so it looks as if you have done well and certainly better than me over that year.

RC

Hi again RC, for clarity, I didn't include any 'income' from the FTSE, just the straight start figure of 6242, and end at 7142. By year I mean 31 Dec to 31 Dec following year. Nothing fancy, just maths.

Regards,

Ian.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”