Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to lansdown,Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08, for Donating to support the site

HSBA Dividend Sterling rate

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
Jon46

HSBA Dividend Sterling rate

Postby Jon46 » November 28th, 2016, 1:25 pm

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Re: HSBA Dividend Sterling rate

Postby staffordian » November 28th, 2016, 1:33 pm

Jon46 wrote:http://www.investegate.co.uk/hsbc-holdings-plc--hsba-/rns/scrip-dividend---exchange-rate/201611281245023229Q/

Approx 8.0417p per share. :)

Jon

I do wish they would give us an accurate figure occasionally, instead of just approximating it to the nearest ten thousanth of a penny :D

Staffordian

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » November 28th, 2016, 1:57 pm

staffordian wrote:
Jon46 wrote:http://www.investegate.co.uk/hsbc-holdings-plc--hsba-/rns/scrip-dividend---exchange-rate/201611281245023229Q/

Jon

I do wish they would give us an accurate figure occasionally, instead of just approximating it to the nearest ten thousanth of a penny :D

Staffordian

The $0.10 figure is accurate, so is the exchange rate - work it out for yourself. It's 8.041662243752433p :D

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » November 28th, 2016, 2:08 pm

Breelander wrote:
staffordian wrote:

Jon

Staffordian

The $0.10 figure is accurate, so is the exchange rate - work it out for yourself. It's 8.041662243752433p :D

Thanks Bree; I'll be able to work out my entitlement properly now 8-)

pyad
Lemon Slice

Postby pyad » November 28th, 2016, 2:58 pm

The really interesting point here is that although Q3 is the same US 10¢ as last year, the sterling value has increased from 6.6015p to 8.0417p, up a handsome 21.8% due solely to the strengthening dollar.

Jon46

Postby Jon46 » November 28th, 2016, 3:08 pm

I wish I had not bothered, I saw the flagged RNS in my in 'in tray of RNS', and just copied it out because no post yet and lots of us hold it. Won't ever bother again to be sure.

The really interesting point is that it lead to a thread at all, we all know about brexit/cable.

I did not realise how many posters held more than 13273 HSBA, beyond which once pence rounded you get a difference.

Holding 13274, divi £1,067.45 using 8.04166224 £1,067.46 using 8.0417
Holding 13273, divi £1,067.37 using 8.04166224 £1,067.37 using 8.0417

I only hold 6400, last topped up with another 1000 on 24/08/15.

Jon

Dod1010
Lemon Quarter

Postby Dod1010 » November 28th, 2016, 3:21 pm

Good to see the exchange rate benefit. Like Jon46 I added to my holding in September 2015 at £5.116, intending it to be a trading buy and should I suppose sell it now. That tranche is in an ISA. However the yield is such even today that I am reluctant to do anything although I may sell some as HSBC is now by quite a margin my biggest single holding. Mostly I suppose it is a currency gain so could disappear as quickly as it appeared.

OLTB
Lemon Quarter

Postby OLTB » November 28th, 2016, 3:42 pm

My HSBC shares are also the largest single holding but this is again down to currency (I think) as share price has moved such a long way from when I bought at 451p in June this year (just before Brexit vote - fortunate timing). No tinkering from me, just redistribution of dividends.

OLTB.

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » November 28th, 2016, 3:42 pm

Jon46 wrote:I wish I had not bothered, I saw the flagged RNS in my in 'in tray of RNS', and just copied it out because no post yet and lots of us hold it. Won't ever bother again to be sure.
Jon

Jon, I hope you didn't take my initial reply as any form of criticism of your post. It was my childish sense of humour regarding the fact that HSBC always use the term approximate in their RNS when the figure is anything but.

I value these type of posts, as, I'm sure, do many others.

My reply, in part, was to acknowledge the fact that you had posted the information, and in the absence of recs, a reply at least shows someone has read your post and is grateful for it. Or at least that was my intention. Sorry if it was misconstrued.

Staffordian

OLTB
Lemon Quarter

Postby OLTB » November 28th, 2016, 3:58 pm

Hi Jon46,

For what it's worth, when I read the initial replies from staffordian etc. I read them to be in good humour and as mild jesting directed towards HSBC's RNS, which raised a smile on a cold Monday.

Cheers, Neil.

ian56
Lemon Pip

Postby ian56 » November 28th, 2016, 4:10 pm

OLTB wrote:Hi Jon46,

For what it's worth, when I read the initial replies from staffordian etc. I read them to be in good humour and as mild jesting directed towards HSBC's RNS, which raised a smile on a cold Monday.

Cheers, Neil.

Same here.

Ian

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » November 28th, 2016, 4:25 pm

Jon46 wrote:I wish I had not bothered, I saw the flagged RNS in my in 'in tray of RNS', and just copied it out because no post yet and lots of us hold it. Won't ever bother again to be sure.

Jon

Don't lose heart Jon. I for one thank you for your efforts. I used to get a lot of grief from certain posters over at TMF and it used to wind me up. They're not worth it. Most here are decent people, so please continue.

All the best,

Ian.

Jon46

Postby Jon46 » November 28th, 2016, 4:43 pm

staffordian wrote:
Jon

Jon, I hope you didn't take my initial reply as any form of criticism of your post. It was my childish sense of humour regarding the fact that HSBC always use the term approximate in their RNS when the figure is anything but.

I value these type of posts, as, I'm sure, do many others.

My reply, in part, was to acknowledge the fact that you had posted the information, and in the absence of recs, a reply at least shows someone has read your post and is grateful for it. Or at least that was my intention. Sorry if it was misconstrued.

Staffordian

Thanks for that, I am glad that we do humour now. Don't think that part of what I wrote was not in humour too, I know full well reading these boards what kind of HSBA holding the average pot builder(such as my grandchildren) will have, but do make allowances, I turn 90 in January, so sometimes I get fed up!

I remember posting on TMF (as an aside to a much more serious point about my first 'secret of investing' being to save as much as you can to start with) on all the 'mantras' we, (my wife and I, and the vast majority of very experienced investors we know, which, having worked in the field most of our working life, is quite a few dozens) did NOT believe in, despite being, in our ISAs at least, very serious HY investors. I jested then, I thought it was obvious, that by now having ignored such 'rules/postulates' for decades, we should accordingly be ruined by now( quite the reverse in fact as you might gather since my HSBA holding is just above median in 47 holdings over my two ISAs, which I run with different stategies), only to have a 'frequent but humourless' poster then explain to me how 'ruined' was mistaken, as if I did not know.

But if we did have recs(I hope we don't), 'somebody' mentioning the HSBC divi gain due to cable would have got dozens of recs for stating the bleeding obvious, whereas yours truly who happens to think that HYP should be a much broader 'church' (and no, Arb et alia, it would not spoil anything, it might make it a richer board, not just figuratively either) but did post the details in the OP would have got zilch.

Jon

PS The snooker is boring at the mo, and this might contribute towards my TLF pip (jesting).

Deev8
Lemon Pip

Postby Deev8 » November 28th, 2016, 11:09 pm

staffordian wrote:I do wish they would give us an accurate figure ...

Jon46 wrote:I wish I had not bothered ...

I for one find it very helpful when people do take the trouble to post dividend payment details, so thanks for this one Jon46. I hope that occasionally insensitive comments don't deter posters from doing this.

However in this instance, staffordian's comment was a humorous (rather than insensitive) one and actually seemed to be aimed at HSBC themselves not at the verbatim reporting of the announcement here.

Dave

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » November 29th, 2016, 8:55 am

Breelander wrote:
staffordian wrote:I do wish they would give us an accurate figure occasionally, instead of just approximating it to the nearest ten thousanth of a penny :D

I do wish you would give us an accurate figure, rather than just approximating it to the nearest quadrillionth of a penny... ;-)

Gengulphus

pyad
Lemon Slice

Postby pyad » November 29th, 2016, 9:12 am

Jon46 wrote:...But if we did have recs(I hope we don't), 'somebody' mentioning the HSBC divi gain due to cable would have got dozens of recs for stating the bleeding obvious, whereas yours truly who happens to think that HYP should be a much broader 'church' (and no, Arb et alia, it would not spoil anything, it might make it a richer board, not just figuratively either) but did post the details in the OP would have got zilch.

As you well know, the "somebody" was me though for some gutless reason you refrain from stating my username. The actual gain due wholly to FX movement was by no means "bleeding obvious".

Firstly not everyone may have known that the dollar payout was unchanged over the year. Secondly, whilst I agree that many here will have some rough idea of sterling's decline, I doubt that more than a few will be aware of the actual figure. So for these two reasons it would probably have been not at all "bleeding obvious" to a lot of people just how much the FX effect was. So you are out of order for criticising me for this.

Further, if I play devil's advocate for this purpose, then so what if it even was "bleeding obvious"? It wasn't of course but even if that's your view, it makes you a pretty sad character to even bother saying as much, and you've bothered to say it twice now. Very odd.

Your umbrage at the entirely innocuous comments of others, and mine, none of which were even aimed at you at all as several readers have observed, is peculiar.

77ss
Lemon Quarter

Postby 77ss » November 29th, 2016, 10:27 am

idpickering wrote:I used to get a lot of grief from certain posters over at TMF and it used to wind me up. They're not worth it. Most here are decent people, so please continue.

Nobody was giving jon any grief. By taking offence at an obviously humorous remark any grief was totally self-inflicted.

Responding with a dig at Arb, who hadn't even posted on the thread, was unwarranted.

I ask myself, who is giving who grief?

Jon46

Postby Jon46 » November 29th, 2016, 10:40 am

Firstly not everyone may have known that the dollar payout was unchanged over the year. Secondly, whilst I agree that many here will have some rough idea of sterling's decline, I doubt that more than a few will be aware of the actual figure. So for these two reasons it would probably have been not at all "bleeding obvious" to a lot of people just how much the FX effect was. So you are out of order for criticising me for this.

What planet would they reside in not to know about brexit/cable, or about the maintained HSBA cent divi, and what purpose does it serve calculating the GBP decrease on a particular day, and are we to get the same pointless post when we get the next RDSB divi sterling rate announced early December.

I took umbrage of the sad fact that there was a thread at all once the sterling rate was posted, on another (private) forum I follow, such post would have been read, used to compute one's divi, but never answered as there was no need.

I remember a question from an inexperienced investor on TMF about some $ dividend which two posters had answered perfectly, but rather than leave it at that you had to add what turned out to be nothing of substance at all, in fact it was a repeat of what had been said by the other two. Now a dozen at least recced that if I remember.

You might not like being criticised having been pampered on TMF for so long, but it is about time somebody did, and was allowed to.

Because personally I find that much of your mantras are faulty, one could write a book about it, you should see the banter on some professional investment sites I still have access to. I have said it before, your strength has been that you brought some people to investing, but for young pot builders in particular and 'annuitants' where the pot was tight, following such inflexible mantras will prove, and have been, a disaster.

Gutless indeed. I was trying to make a generic point out if the specific.

My interest in investing is making money, it is strange how much one can make by following just common sense and gut rather than postulates, and one will make plenty of mistakes on the way regardless, those mistakes are essential to one's learning curve.

My interest in posting is towards young investors future success.

Jon

pyad
Lemon Slice

Postby pyad » November 29th, 2016, 10:50 am

I'm not going to reply to your fatuous and mendacious rant other than to say that's the third time you have brought up my comment about the FX rate on HSBC dividend. Very strange.

Dod1010
Lemon Quarter

Postby Dod1010 » November 29th, 2016, 11:42 am

As a matter of fact,I found pyad's post re the exchange rate quite helpful. I was just wondering the effect of the exchange rate on the Dollar payout which I of course knew very well had been held.

On TMF this thread would have been stopped in its tracks some time back and my opinion is that it should stop here. It is well off topic now.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”