Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Are you a slow tinkerer or not?

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
tjh290633
Lemon Half

Re: Are you a slow tinkerer or not?

Postby tjh290633 » November 27th, 2016, 8:03 pm

Reading the above posts, I must be a lightning fast tinkerer. However the things that trigger my tinkering happen when they do, and I don't tinker just for the sake of it. I don't have my records to hand, but in the past year or so I have trimmed three shares for being overweight, lost two by takeover (PFL and REX), and hung on to those which have reduced or cut their dividends (TSCO, BLT and INDV). All my other trades have been reinvestment of cash realised and accumulated dividends.

At the moment it doesn't look likely that any share will go overweight, or be taken over, so I am definitely moving into a period of slow tinkering.

TJH

yorkstock

Postby yorkstock » November 28th, 2016, 10:12 am

I don't want to have to live with some of my worst investing mistakes, but I don't count those sales as tinkering. If I did it would make me a roadrunner tinkerer.

77ss
Lemon Quarter

Postby 77ss » November 28th, 2016, 10:27 am

idpickering wrote:So, the question is, are you a 'slow tinkerer", or are you prone to fiddle more often? Or are you in fact a model HYPer and don't meddle at all?

Isn't it going to depend upon where one is in the investment process, as much as personality?

Someone who is still earning and building up their HYP will feel under less compulsion to tinker (overweight - who cares - just direct new money into underweight holdings) than someone who is fully built and in draw-down mode.

I have made 16 unforced sales so far this tax year.

Hyperactive? I don't think so. Eight of them were tax-related or dealing with a large pre-HYP holding.

It is obviously far too early to draw any conclusions about capital values, but in terms of yield, I have sold shares with an average running yield of 3.4% and moved the proceeds into shares with an average running yield of 5.2%.

As another poster has remarked, it is important to have rules/guidelines. I am not quite mechanical, but most of my 'tinkers' involve rebalancing from an overweight modest/low yielder into an higher yielding underweight/new holding.

Seems common sense to me - when dealing with a fully built HYP. I was much less active while building up my HYP.

OLTB
Lemon Quarter

Postby OLTB » November 28th, 2016, 10:48 am

77ss wrote:Someone who is still earning and building up their HYP will feel under less compulsion to tinker (overweight - who cares - just direct new money into underweight holdings) than someone who is fully built and in draw-down mode.

I agree with the above - still very much in the building stage, my intention is not to tinker and ride out any waves of fluctuation. If a dividend is cut/stops then I shall re-direct dividends paid to other shares according to HYPTUSS or perhaps look for a new sector that I don't have exposure to.

That's my intention anyway and shall try not to hover over the 'sell' button.

OLTB

andycowl

Postby andycowl » November 28th, 2016, 11:00 am

I am slow. People have told me this for years. My only activity is a HYPTUS guided top-up when dividends reach £5000.

Deev8
Lemon Pip

Postby Deev8 » November 28th, 2016, 10:44 pm

To put some numbers on my tinkering - I have a 34 share HYP inside a SIPP.

In April this year I trimmed-back my holdings of Compass Group and Provident Financial. That was the first time I had sold any shares since January 2014 when I trimmed-back Interserve.

So far during 2016 I have topped-up holdings of 6 shares. Last year I topped-up the holdings of 3 shares. I haven't added any new holdings to the portfolio since March 2014 when I bought HSBC. I haven't added (or withdrawn) any cash to the portfolio for numerous years - all purchases are funded by accumulated dividends and proceeds from any sales.

Dave

johnw11

Postby johnw11 » December 12th, 2016, 2:49 am

Hi Ian,

Just catching up on posts here at TLF after only discovering after the TMF boards were actually closed that TMF had closed its boards.

I am certainly a slow tinkerer.

2010 I sold 25% of BATS as they were way over my limit
2010 I sold TOMK due to the takeover
2014 I told part the Verison shares as part of the VOD sale
2016 I sold REX just before the takeover
2016 I sold FGP as I saw no future dividend from them
2016 I sold BNC as I have no faith in banking shares (my one stray from Stategic Ignorance). I do still hold LLOY but only out of sentimental reasons that are too complex to explain.

At the moment I have about 15% of my HYP in cash (Held in a SIPP) as I think there will be a shakeout in the next year or so. Off topic for that though.

Regards

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » December 12th, 2016, 6:50 am

johnw11 wrote:Hi Ian,

Just catching up on posts here at TLF after only discovering after the TMF boards were actually closed that TMF had closed its boards.

I am certainly a slow tinkerer.

2010 I sold 25% of BATS as they were way over my limit
2010 I sold TOMK due to the takeover
2014 I told part the Verison shares as part of the VOD sale
2016 I sold REX just before the takeover
2016 I sold FGP as I saw no future dividend from them
2016 I sold BNC as I have no faith in banking shares (my one stray from Stategic Ignorance). I do still hold LLOY but only out of sentimental reasons that are too complex to explain.

At the moment I have about 15% of my HYP in cash (Held in a SIPP) as I think there will be a shakeout in the next year or so. Off topic for that though.

Regards

Hi John's,

Thanks for your input. I already mentioned elsewhere, but my intention going forward is a 'hands off' policy regarding my hyping. In fact my only trades since March this year have been my monthly purchases and top ups with new cash that I got hold of. No sales at all. I find myself getting more and note relaxed with my current method. My next purchase is on 22 of this month and I'm 'pickering' between BLND and BT.A.

Regards

Ian

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”