Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

demanding originals of marriage cert AND ..

mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

demanding originals of marriage cert AND ..

Postby mutantpoodle » December 13th, 2016, 11:56 am

Is it usual for a company to demand ORIGINALS of marriage certificate AND mine and wifes birth certificates before being willing to start offereing options?
I am already receiving two pensions (PPF)
and wife also in receipt of one from teaching days

neither required documents now being demanded
AND being demanded by an overseas (IRELAND) company
so even greater postal risks than would be in UK

Chloe

Re: demanding originals of marriage cert AND ..

Postby Chloe » December 13th, 2016, 3:05 pm

That's certainly what happened in my case(s) - they all demanded the official birth cert, scans/photocopies not acceptable.

CB

Stonge
Lemon Slice

Postby Stonge » December 13th, 2016, 5:16 pm

Sometimes they will accept a certified (by solicitor) scan of documents.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » December 13th, 2016, 5:26 pm

But what is an "original" birth or marriage certificate? Surely they're just official extracts from the register anyway.

So by paying the nominal fee you can get an "original" that's as valid as any you got at the time.

Scott.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » December 16th, 2016, 7:04 pm

But what is an "original" birth or marriage certificate? Surely they're just official extracts from the register anyway.

So by paying the nominal fee you can get an "original" that's as valid as any you got at the time.

Sorry, but not only is that a little bit cold, but also playing into a system of Admin gone mad and encouraging it.

The original birth and marriage certificates have a huge sentimental value! When I was married in France, the Mairie asked for my original B. cert. I gave it only after being promised I'd get it back. One month later, different lady who told me they had to keep it. By now, I knew how their minds worked so I told her that I was breaking UK law and had been told to present it to the Consulate in Lyon. Result - handed back in seconds.

Likewise for certified copies, you can get anyone to sign that it's a true copy. DIY ink stamp thingies cost a few quid on Ebay. Never had a problem. Remember that this is already after they've proved your ID, so no harm done.

Steve

genou
Lemon Quarter

Postby genou » December 17th, 2016, 1:11 pm

stevensfo wrote:

Sorry, but not only is that a little bit cold, but also playing into a system of Admin gone mad and encouraging it.

The original birth and marriage certificates have a huge sentimental value! ...

Likewise for certified copies, you can get anyone to sign that it's a true copy.

Steve

You are confusing originally issued, and original. Any extract issued by the Registrar is an original. As far as certified copies go, that depends on the jurisdiction. Don't know about Ireland, but in Germany I'm reasonably sure that it is illegal to make a copy of a Register extract.

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » December 17th, 2016, 7:53 pm

mutantpoodle wrote:Is it usual for a company to demand ORIGINALS of marriage certificate AND mine and wifes birth certificates before being willing to start offereing options?
I am already receiving two pensions (PPF)
and wife also in receipt of one from teaching days

neither required documents now being demanded
AND being demanded by an overseas (IRELAND) company
so even greater postal risks than would be in UK

If they are employer pensions it may be that the employers whose pensions are paying out took the docs when you joined the employer and that is enough, and the other pension either the employer didn't, or it is lost, or it's not an employer pension. Could be the same with a private scheme - they took the docs when you joined.

With the University scheme I am trying to transfer they keep asking me for docs that I know I gave to the employer but I don't think they are very joined up as it's a 'participating employer'.

Mel

77ss
Lemon Quarter

Postby 77ss » December 17th, 2016, 8:51 pm

mutantpoodle wrote:Is it usual for a company to demand ORIGINALS of marriage certificate AND mine and wifes birth certificates

Seems OTT to me. Offer to send them attested copies?

UK organisations often accept these. Last time I needed this service my bank (HBOS) said 'we no longer do this' - they are no longer my bank and I got it done at the Post Office.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » January 17th, 2017, 6:35 pm

I forget which organisation (am really in tax return mode rather than probate mode at the moment) but I have certainly been asked to provide an original marriage certificate to claim some payment in connection with my late husband's estate and I bristled at the suggestion.

Do I gather from an earlier post that one can still get an official copy 50 years later? Does one have to apply to the registrar in the district one was married in or to one's present local register office? I really don't see why a photocopy and the usual forms of ID would not suffice.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » January 17th, 2017, 6:45 pm

Bouleversee wrote:Do I gather from an earlier post that one can still get an official copy 50 years later? Does one have to apply to the registrar in the district one was married in or to one's present local register office?

When I needed an extra original birth certificate, and a "long form" one at that, I simply wrote to the registrar in the County I was born and they sent me one through the post. It was 40 years after the fact and presented them with no difficulty.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » January 17th, 2017, 7:15 pm

Bouleversee wrote:Do I gather from an earlier post that one can still get an official copy 50 years later? Does one have to apply to the registrar in the district one was married in or to one's present local register office?

You can "order a birth, marriage or death certificate from only £9.25 direct from the Government's official website":

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

cnwcywig

Postby cnwcywig » February 20th, 2017, 3:35 pm

Bouleversee wrote:
Do I gather from an earlier post that one can still get an official copy 50 years later? .

You can get an official copy of any entry in the general Register of Births Marriages and Deaths back to 1837 when records began.
genealogists do it all the time.

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » February 21st, 2017, 1:32 pm

cnwcywig wrote:
Bouleversee wrote:
Do I gather from an earlier post that one can still get an official copy 50 years later? .

You can get an official copy of any entry in the general Register of Births Marriages and Deaths back to 1837 when records began.
genealogists do it all the time.

The point being that's there's really no such thing as an original birth/marriage/death certificate. They are all official copies of an entry in the Register - even if it's one given to you at the time of registration. So a certificate produced now is just as "original" as one created 50 years ago.

Explaining that to an overseas company may be less simple - although one in Ireland should know about this I would think.

Return to “Pensions - Practical Problems”