Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

NHS Pension Taxed at source

Devjon
2 Lemon pips

NHS Pension Taxed at source

Postby Devjon » April 10th, 2017, 12:50 pm

Hello,
My wife gets a small NHS Pension which is paid directly into her bank account. She has just received notice of next years payments which ave gone up by a couple of pounds a month.
It is her first year of retirement and has no other source of income apart from her State Pension. The combined amount of both Pensions is below her annual tax allowance. I notice from her annual statement that her NHS Pension is being paid nett of Income tax so I beleive a tax rebate is due to her.
DAK if this will be credited automatically or will she need to make a claim, and is there anyway that she can receive her NHS Pension gross?

Many Thanks

Devjon

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Re: NHS Pension Taxed at source

Postby staffordian » April 10th, 2017, 1:08 pm

It would be worth looking at your wife's tax code.

If her income is less than her personal allowance, then if the NHS pension administrators have the correct tax code then they should automatically be paying it without any tax deduction.

Staffordian

Devjon
2 Lemon pips

Postby Devjon » April 10th, 2017, 1:37 pm

Many Thanks Staffordian, I don't know how I missed that. Looking at the NHS Pension Scheme letter I see that the tax code is given as "BR"
I'm not sure if that is because when my wife left her job in a small local Hospice she was asked to go "on the bank"
She has never done any bank shifts since retirement and the situation is that she has now decided that she doesn't want to go back.
I suppose the course of action is to contact her old employer and cancel her "Bank" contract and then advise the NHS Pension people of the situation.

Thanks again,

Devjon

77ss
Lemon Quarter

Postby 77ss » April 10th, 2017, 10:39 pm

Devjon wrote:Many Thanks Staffordian, I don't know how I missed that. Looking at the NHS Pension Scheme letter I see that the tax code is given as "BR"
I'm not sure if that is because when my wife left her job in a small local Hospice she was asked to go "on the bank"
She has never done any bank shifts since retirement and the situation is that she has now decided that she doesn't want to go back.
I suppose the course of action is to contact her old employer and cancel her "Bank" contract and then advise the NHS Pension people of the situation.

Thanks again,

Devjon

You may need to write to the 'taxman'. I have found them quite co-operative when I have queried my tax code.

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » April 11th, 2017, 8:20 am

For years I had a tax code for my work and a BR for my pension. That was ok at the time as my work paid more than my allowance. At one time, they applied the tax code to my pension and a BR to my work? Bizarre, but a quick call to them and it was fixed, now that I only work part-time they split the code between the 2. Works ok until I work a bit of overtime or get a bonus and then it takes a while to level out.

Give them a call.

Raptor.

DrBunsenHoneydew
Lemon Slice

Postby DrBunsenHoneydew » April 11th, 2017, 8:48 am

Devjon wrote:Many Thanks Staffordian, I don't know how I missed that. Looking at the NHS Pension Scheme letter I see that the tax code is given as "BR"

Devjon

You don't have to contact the Pension people. They will only respond to a tax code change and that must come from HMRC.

Return to “Pensions - Practical Problems”