Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

UAE problem

including wills and probate
swill453
Lemon Half

UAE problem

Postby swill453 » January 5th, 2017, 10:32 pm

A reasonably distant family member has an urgent problem in Dubai. Her and husband work there - not sure of official residential status, can find that out if it's important.

He has had heart attack and is basically brain dead with no prospect of recovery.

Apparently Dubai law doesn't allow switching off of life support machine - which obviously wife would prefer.

(This doesn't seem to be Muslim ruling, just local law. Any advice on this aspect would be good.)

Fall back position is to get husband moved to UK, just to switch off life support. But this will cost £100k+, which medical insurance are seemingly balking at.

UK embassy have apparently been consulted, but have nothing to offer.

Can anyone offer any advice, suggestions etc.?

Scott.

panamagold
Lemon Slice

Re: UAE problem

Postby panamagold » January 6th, 2017, 9:04 am

Sorry to hear of the misfortunes of your familiy.

Firstly I must qualify my total ignorance of Dubai law or procedures but as you ask for suggestions and were I to find myself in a similar situation I might consider the following.

The possibility of having him discharged to the home residence with the family taking responsibility for administering care from thereon?

Is it feasible/possible to have him transferred to facilities in either Saudi, Oman or Qatar where the law maybe different and the cost possibly less prohibitive.

Ultimately, given his wife's feelings of the situation, the action of a foot on an essential pipe could possibly enhance the euthanaise process.

Whatever their decision, I would like to wish you all well during and after this whole episode in your lives.

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Re: UAE problem

Postby melonfool » January 6th, 2017, 11:02 pm

panamagold wrote:Is it feasible/possible to have him transferred to facilities in either Saudi, Oman or Qatar where the law maybe different and the cost possibly less prohibitive.

I think that's the key - where is the next nearest country with laws that allow the wife's wishes, and will the medical insurance move him there?

Or, crowd funding for the costs of moving him home?

What a very difficult position to be in.

Mel

Return to “Legal Issues (Practical)”