Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Inherited house CGT??? (WAS Inherited house cat???)

including wills and probate
mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

Inherited house CGT??? (WAS Inherited house cat???)

Postby mutantpoodle » January 30th, 2017, 8:03 pm

Do I have a cgt liability if I inherit my mums house then sell it at some stage in the future?
Without living in it"?
I realise ihit etc re probate etc

Alternatively
If I do deed of variation and have house left to son
Who does not own property in uk
Is there cgt?

Moderator Message:
Topic title edited for clarity :)

genou
Lemon Quarter

Re: Inherited house CGT??? (WAS Inherited house cat???)

Postby genou » January 30th, 2017, 8:37 pm

mutantpoodle wrote:Do I have a cgt liability if I inherit my mums house then sell it at some stage in the future?
Without living in it"?
I realise ihit etc re probate etc

Yes, based on your acquisition cost being the probate value. Any increase in value will be taxed, subject to your annual exempt amount ( currently 11,100 )

Alternatively
Is there cgt?

Yes, under new rules. See https://www.gov.uk/guidance/capital-gai ... in-or-loss

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » January 31st, 2017, 4:15 am

mutantpoodle wrote:Alternatively
Is there cgt?

The link provided by genou looks like the answer if son is not tax-resident in the UK.

If he is tax-resident in the UK and merely doesn't own a property in the UK, that link doesn't apply. Instead, CGT applies to him just as it does to any other property owner who is tax-resident in the UK, with his acquisition cost being the property's probate value. In particular, if he makes it his principal private residence (or be treated as such under the various rules that do that) for the entirety of his ownership period, then he doesn't have to pay any CGT on it.

Gengulphus

Dod1010
Lemon Quarter

Postby Dod1010 » January 31st, 2017, 7:15 am

Between mutantpoodles and house cats I was going to refer you to a vet.

Obviously if the said son inherits through a Deed of Variation there is no CGT when he inherits, only if he then subsequently sells and has not lived in it.

Dod

Moderator Message:
Topic title edited in all above posts for clarity :)

mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

Postby mutantpoodle » January 31st, 2017, 6:18 pm

Its so difficult trying to ask a question without providing so much info that all you experts get bored before replying!!!

So
Yes i understand if I get the house i would be liable to CGT on difference between probate/sale proceeds (proceeds or sale price?) ie sale costs allowable as with shares
No stamp duty as already own property? Or is there because??

If son has by D of V
He is uk tax registered but owns property in portugal
Extra stamp duty?
CGT if he does NOT live in...
But..... NO CGT if he DOES live there....any time requirement?
Any need to prove living there?

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » February 1st, 2017, 2:25 pm

mutantpoodle wrote:Its so difficult trying to ask a question without providing so much info that all you experts get bored before replying!!!

Yes - and indeed it's difficult to answer questions without either risking not saying something basic and important, or risking telling the questioner loads of stuff they already know! The only full solution is a 'homing in on the right question and answer' one, with the questioner refining their question and the answerer refining their answer in the light of what's been said.

On tax questions, though, it does cut out a bit of the resulting to-and-froing if the initial question gives some indication of the tax status of the people involved - nothing complicated, just basically what rate taxpayer they are in the UK, plus what other country or countries are involved if it's not all UK-based.

mutantpoodle wrote:So
Yes i understand if I get the house i would be liable to CGT on difference between probate/sale proceeds (proceeds or sale price?) ie sale costs allowable as with shares

What the taxman calls 'incidental costs of acquisition' and 'incidental costs of disposal' are generally allowable for CGT, so yes, the obvious costs of disposal such as solicitor's fees and estate agent commission are allowable. So are any similar costs you or your son incur on acquiring the property when you inherit it (not saying there necessarily will be any such costs, just that there might be - I've no experience of exactly how ownership is transferred in such cases, what exactly the costs are, or who exactly incurs them).

mutantpoodle wrote:No stamp duty as already own property? Or is there because??

If son has by D of V
He is uk tax registered but owns property in portugal
Extra stamp duty?

Stamp duty is payable by the buyer, so paying it is not something either you or your son have to worry about when selling the property.

And as I understand it, it's also not payable when someone receives a property as an inheritance.

mutantpoodle wrote:CGT if he does NOT live in...
But..... NO CGT if he DOES live there....any time requirement?
Any need to prove living there?

There is certainly a need to be able to prove living there - basically, to be able to prove that it is a 'residence' of his. As with most tax matters, in the first instance you just state the facts (e.g. in a tax return, you just state the totals of salary, interest, dividends, etc, without proof in the way of payslips, bank statements, dividend confirmations, etc) but you need to be able to prove those facts if the taxman enquires.

Being a 'residence' of his means that it's a place where he lives, in the generally-recognised sense of living in a property. It's possible to have more than one residence - the classic example is someone who owns a house in a city where they live during the week and a cottage in the country where they live at weekends - but just occasionally visiting a property isn't enough to make it one's residence. See the pages linked to from https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/capital-gains-manual/cg64420p, especially CG64427 and a few following pages, for some HMRC material about this.

If his Portuguese property counts as a residence of his and he makes the inherited property also count as a residence of his, he will need to nominate one of them as his 'only or main residence' (often called his 'principal private residence' or 'PPR') within two years - this is the property that gets the 'private residence relief' from CGT. If he doesn't nominate one, the question of which one it is will be determined on the facts, i.e. basically where he mainly lives.

If a property counts as his PPR, there is a time restriction on the relief from CGT. The basis of this is that if it counts as his PPR for N% of the period he owns it, then N% of the gain isn't counted for CGT, while the remaining (100-N)% of it does count. It is however important to understand that as long as it is actually his PPR for part of his period of ownership, it can count as his PPR when working out N% for some limited-but-not-all-that-small periods when he wasn't living there: this can often result in 100% relief from CGT even though the owner only lived in the property for part of the period of ownership. There are several rules about that, with a fair number of detailed conditions, and so I won't try to go into detail about them. Instead, see https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/private-residence-relief-hs283-self-assessment-helpsheet/hs283-private-residence-relief-2016 in the first instance for them, and the pages under https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/capital-gains-manual/cg64200c may be useful in resolving anything it leaves unclear. Alternatively, ask a further question here - but in view of the amount of material, much of which probably won't be relevant to you, you will need to narrow down what you're asking about to something manageable!

Gengulphus

Return to “Legal Issues (Practical)”