Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Wills and house willed to 3 children

including wills and probate
smokey01
Lemon Pip

Wills and house willed to 3 children

Postby smokey01 » January 23rd, 2017, 7:19 pm

My mother has 3 children and wants to leave her house to all 3 of us. However my brother and I still live at the house but my sister has her own home that she co-habits with a partner.

She wants myself and my brother to be able to live at the house until we both want to sell and then the proceeds will get split 3 ways.

Can anyone suggest the appropriate wording to use in the will?

swill453
Lemon Half

Re: Wills and house willed to 3 children

Postby swill453 » January 23rd, 2017, 7:40 pm

I wouldn't have thought it vital to detail the arrangements in the will. It could simply leave it equally to the 3 of you.

The arrangements might be complex, but they could be done without complicating the will.

Scott.

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Re: Wills and house willed to 3 children

Postby Clitheroekid » January 23rd, 2017, 9:39 pm

smokey01 wrote:Can anyone suggest the appropriate wording to use in the will?

It sounds like your mother may be thinking of trying to prepare the Will herself.

If so, it would be incredibly dangerous. If she wants to direct that the house be kept as a residence for you and your brother then she's creating a trust, which is quite legally complex.

If she tries to do it herself it's a virtual certainty that she'll make a mess of it, and that sorting it all out will cost 10 times the cost of having a proper Will made by a solicitor.

What she wants can be done, but this is one time when she really does need to get the Will drawn up professionally.

Return to “Legal Issues (Practical)”