Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

A quote courtesy of Heineken

your favourite tipple - wine, beer, spirits
PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Re: A quote courtesy of Heineken

Postby PinkDalek » December 8th, 2016, 3:46 pm

In Nigeria a proportion of sorghum is used. Foreign Extra Stout is blended with a small amount of intentionally soured beer. (Formerly it was blended with beer that soured naturally as a result of fermenting in ancient oak tuns with a Brettanomyces population. It is now made with pasteurized beer that has been soured bacterially.) It was previously known as West Indies Porter, then Extra Stout and finally Foreign Extra Stout. It was first made available in the UK in 1990"

I'd like to try some of that, anyone know where to get it?

John

Is this it?:

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/webapp/wcs/ ... ttle-330ml

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » December 8th, 2016, 4:06 pm

Only place I've seen it, and long ago now, is in offies in West London esp. around Ladbroke Grove. So I suspect you'd have to hunt around where the more working class West Indian/African community are most prominent.

IIRC the only time I tried it it was a bottle brewed in Nigeria, and it was so heavy/thick/strong it was almost undrinkable.

[I'd also read through reviews on BeerAdvocate from UK based reviewers and see where they bought it].

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » December 8th, 2016, 6:58 pm

I've seen FES in Sainsburys, and it looks like ASDA have it too. Not sure which version it is, suspect a pure Irish version for the UK market without added sorghum. West Indies Porter is a beer from their new pseudo-craft range that's not directly related. I imagine that if you go shopping in areas with a big Nigerian population you may be able to find the Nigerian version.

If you poke around the websites of the big supermarkets you'll find a couple of unusual beers, catering to the Caribbean and west African communities. Tesco seem to be the most blatant at ticking boxes, but it does mean that they have things like Dragon Stout from Jamaica (brewed by Red Stripe/Diageo, and claiming heritage back to 1920 so presumably inspired by old-style "colonial" Guinness).

[edit - I see that Diageo sold control of Desnoes & Geddes, the Red Stripe brewer, to their JV partners Heineken a year ago, as part of a series of deals announced on the day of the Inbev-SAB merger, no wonder I'd missed that one]

Weath

Postby Weath » December 8th, 2016, 7:14 pm

I've never had any problems in finding a bottle when I've fancied one.

How about: http://www.beersofeurope.co.uk/guinness ... l?___SID=U

No connection other than a very happy customer over the years. It's a beer lovers paradise if you ever get chance to go to their warehouse :D

Edited to say not in stock at the moment but usually is.

Weath.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » December 8th, 2016, 10:10 pm

Thanks guys, I usually major on European and American beers and the Beer Hawk didn't stock this one so I might get to try it soon.

John

Return to “Drink”