Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Poll

your favourite tipple - wine, beer, spirits

Do you prefer a straight or dimpled glass

I am a Southerner, I prefer a straight glass
24%
I am a Southerner, I prefer a dimpled glass
9%
I am a Northerner, I prefer a straight glass
26%
I am a Northerner, I prefer a dimpled glass
4%
I am neither, I prefer a straight glass
15%
I am neither, I prefer a dimpled glass
11%
No preference, it's beer, I'll drink it anyway
11%

Total votes: 46

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Poll

Postby redsturgeon » January 17th, 2017, 8:46 am

Ok this is the first time for me but I am trying a poll.

Let's leave it for people to self select using their own criteria for Northern/Southern/Neither

John

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: Poll

Postby redsturgeon » January 17th, 2017, 8:48 am

That was very easy actually!

When you create a new topic, if you look down at the bottom left, you will see a "poll" option. Click there and it is self explanatory.

John

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » January 17th, 2017, 8:06 pm

redsturgeon wrote:Ok this is the first time for me but I am trying a poll.

Let's leave it for people to self select using their own criteria for Northern/Southern/Neither

John

Born in the North East, some years in the Midlands and reached maturity(?) in the south, so clicked the neither but liked dimpled.

But I wouldn't let it stop me from drinking a beer.

Slarti

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » January 17th, 2017, 9:08 pm

Well done John! And it's great that we have more options than the five allowed by TMF.

I'm pleased to see that what I always considered to be a myth about southerners preferring dimpled glasses is so far proving to be just that. Perhaps it's because of increased exposure to northerners who have gradually educated them ... ;)

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » January 18th, 2017, 2:08 pm

It would be nice to be able to report the results of a poll using mathematical expressions.

So far, 24 people have voted. 22 (91.7%) expressed a preference. Of those:
100% (4/4) of Northerners prefer a straight glass.
80% (8/10) of Southerners prefer a straight glass.
62.5% (5/8) of those who are neither Northern or Southern prefer a straight glass.

It appears, from these limited data, that those "in the middle" are more likely to prefer a jug. We need more votes before drawing firm conclusions, however.

Julian F. G. W.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » January 18th, 2017, 8:56 pm

jfgw wrote: "in the middle".

Point of order: a "neither" certainly doesn't imply "in the middle". I gave one instance in the other thread, and could have gone on at more length without ever having to introduce another subject beyond myself.

As it happens, I'm a self-selecting Neither, I've lived in areas counted as both north and south of England, but never the Midlands!

Oh, and wearing my killjoy statistician hat, you're not going to get any meaningful conclusions out of a self-selecting sample like this. Intuitively (and plausibly) it appears that more people like straight glasses than jugs, but even that has no statistical basis.

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » January 19th, 2017, 11:10 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:Point of order: a "neither" certainly doesn't imply "in the middle". ...

As it happens, I'm a self-selecting Neither, I've lived in areas counted as both north and south of England, but never the Midlands!

It's "average" middle, innit? :)

Oh, and wearing my killjoy statistician hat, you're not going to get any meaningful conclusions out of a self-selecting sample like this. Intuitively (and plausibly) it appears that more people like straight glasses than jugs, but even that has no statistical basis.

Well, that makes polls such as this rather pointless.

The results are 100% accurate in that they show the declared preferences of all Lemons who decided to vote. How closely that relates to the population as a whole is a different matter. Lemons, especially those who read the "Drink" forum, are an elite subset of the country's population and their preferences may not be representative of that population.

I would not expect anyone's decision of whether or not to vote to be based upon his or her glass preference although I accept that this is possible, for example, those who prefer jugs may have stronger views and, as such, be more likely to vote. It could be argued that such a bias would better reflect the overall preference and would be more consistent with the results of a questionnaire where one may indicate a strength of opinion ("strongly agree, agree, partly agree, undecided, etc.).

Julian F. G. W.

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » January 21st, 2017, 6:05 pm

Well as a Welsh lady I prefer a dimpled pint glass but in my local pub I have my own glass as everyone elde prefers a straight glass. Having said that the main criteria is ------ no hole in the bottom :D

R6

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » January 21st, 2017, 6:23 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:I'm pleased to see that what I always considered to be a myth about southerners preferring dimpled glasses is so far proving to be just that. Perhaps it's because of increased exposure to northerners who have gradually educated them ... ;)

Ah - but southerners are more likely to drink lager, and lager from a dimple is just...weird. As well as dimples not being nucleated so lager won't serve properly in them.

As it is, lager outsells ale 2:1, so since the poll doesn't specify ale, there could be a massive underlying bias towards straight glasses.

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » January 21st, 2017, 8:45 pm

Hallucigenia wrote:Ah - but southerners are more likely to drink lager

Have you any evidence for this? In the course of my travels between the two regions I can't say that I've found any difference at all.

The division seems to be far more on generational lines, in that younger people tend to drink lager more than older people. Rather more contentiously there also seems to be a division on class lines, with the lower orders more inclined to lager.

My purely personal impression is that lager is drunk more for its alcohol content than for its aesthetic qualities, hence the lager lout, and Stella's unfortunate nickname of `Wifebeater'.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » January 22nd, 2017, 9:54 am

Hallucigenia wrote:
Clitheroekid wrote:I'm pleased to see that what I always considered to be a myth about southerners preferring dimpled glasses is so far proving to be just that. Perhaps it's because of increased exposure to northerners who have gradually educated them ... ;)

Ah - but southerners are more likely to drink lager, and lager from a dimple is just...weird. As well as dimples not being nucleated so lager won't serve properly in them.

As it is, lager outsells ale 2:1, so since the poll doesn't specify ale, there could be a massive underlying bias towards straight glasses.

Looks like ale vs lager is winning 10-0 at the moment! So I'd suggest the massive underlying bias does not exist.

John

Return to “Drink”