Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons

your favourite tipple - wine, beer, spirits
Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons

Postby Lootman » November 24th, 2016, 9:23 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:Most of the wine was priced in the £20 - £40 mark, but I noticed one bottle all on its own at around £400.I couldn't understand the rationale for this, so asked the waiter if they ever sold any.

"Oh yes" he said, "We sell a few bottles each year. We regularly get a group coming back from the races with one bloke who's had a good day and is showing off. He'll not bother looking at the wine list, and will just snap his fingers and say in a loud voice "Bring me the best wine in the house". His face when he gets the bill makes my day!"

A friend of mine is a sommelier and has had that experience a few times. On one occasion he realised, as he poured it for tasting, that it was corked. But the show-off sipped it and declared it to be good. This placed my friend in an awkward position. Does he serve a thousand pound bottle of wine that is crap, and say nothing? Or does he speak up and make the show-off look stupid?

He finessed it by saying nothing, allowing the table to drink their bad wine. Most had probably no idea what a bottle of wine that expensive should taste like anyway, and didn't dare air their complaints even if they did. So the table was happy, the showoff was happy, and the restaurant was happy.

And as a gesture, he gave them a bottle of the second most expensive wine, on the house.

Gyforks

Postby Gyforks » November 24th, 2016, 10:42 pm

Good place to splurge the heating allowance. :lol:

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » November 24th, 2016, 10:46 pm

Gyforks wrote:Good place to splurge the heating allowance. :lol:

Henceforth renamed as the eating allowance :lol:

Gyforks

Postby Gyforks » November 25th, 2016, 8:56 am

Clitheroekid wrote:
Gyforks wrote:Good place to splurge the heating allowance. :lol:

Henceforth renamed as the eating allowance :lol:
:lol: :lol:

Seriously, we have been for special occasion lunches several times as we live nearby, it is very nice. The 7 course tasting menu is a treat. Upwards of £250 for two. You are paying for lots of attentive flunkies. Shaun Dickens at the Boathouse at Henley on Thames trained there and produces a very similar lunch menu without flunkies for lots less. Both places feature nice surroundings, the vegetable gardens at le Manoir in summer and the river frontage on the deck at the Boathouse.

Spoil yourself… you deserve it.

Return to “Drink”