Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Requests for specific Motley Fool UK boards to be added

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
kininvie

Re: Requests for specific Motley Fool UK boards to be added

Postby kininvie » November 5th, 2016, 2:27 pm

kiloran wrote:Fool Fringe / Scottish Politics

would be good. We need a home for those who want to keep the SNP in their place

--kiloran

I asked TMF for this several years ago. Their reply was that TMF was a UK-wide site and they didn't want to 'regionalise it'. Given the potential for divisiveness (I'm an SNP activist btw) I'm not sure they weren't right - especially if you throw NI or even London into the mix!

I do wonder, though, whether there might not be a place for a Scottish 'Financial' Board.

K

ffacoffipawb

Postby ffacoffipawb » November 5th, 2016, 2:46 pm

An investment Trusts board would be good. My SIPP and ISA are both 100% invested in them!

Luniversal was very helpful with his posts on these!!

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 5th, 2016, 2:52 pm

BarrenWuffett wrote:Really would appreciate a board for 'passive investing' or 'index funds & ETFs'

Thanks

Seconded. Perhaps to be called "ETFs, index funds and passive investing"? There's now over $3 trillion in ETF assets so I think we can say they are not new-fangled any more.

This could include so called "smart beta" funds and factor funds as well. Active-passive, sort of.

TheRIT
2 Lemon pips

Postby TheRIT » November 5th, 2016, 3:12 pm

Lootman wrote:
BarrenWuffett wrote:Really would appreciate a board for 'passive investing' or 'index funds & ETFs'

Thanks

Seconded. Perhaps to be called "ETFs, index funds and passive investing"? There's now over $3 trillion in ETF assets so I think we can say they are not new-fangled any more.

This could include so called "smart beta" funds and factor funds as well. Active-passive, sort of.

I'd also be keen for a board on that theme. It's certainly a pillar of my investing strategy.

Jan001

Postby Jan001 » November 5th, 2016, 3:23 pm

RandomWords wrote:Religious & Philosophical Topics please, if nobody has asked already.

I was just about to request this too. :D

Excellent discussions on the 'old' R&PT board. Hopefully we can tempt some of the regular posters over to here, to keep the same type of discussions going.

This is my first Lemony post so can I just take the opportunity to thank everyone involved in setting up these new boards. Hope you can get some kind of reccing system going soon? I mostly use recs as a means of saying "I agree" with a post rather than adding a new post to a thread to say so explicitly.

Degsy67
2 Lemon pips

Postby Degsy67 » November 5th, 2016, 4:47 pm

Lots of requests building up and quite a backlog. I didn't really want to add to the list but I thought I'd do a quick cross check of the boards I have on my TMF Favourite Board list and those setup already on Lemon Fool.

I've deliberately ignored those boards which are on my Favourite list but which I'd be quite happy to disappear as their value is limited. My view is that the migration to Lemon is a great opportunity for Darwinian evolution to kill off a few of the less valuable boards as opposed to trying to slavishly replicate all of the TMF boards.

In considering the list below I've also given some thought to the use of the sub-forum feature which I'm aware Stooz and Clari are playing with at the moment. There's an opportunity here to create an even better resource and community than the one we have left through considering improvements to the structure of some of the boards.

Brokers & Share Dealing - This board has already been established which is great. There are however some boards around which are specific to individual brokers, for example Alliance Trust Savings. I've noticed there's a lot of traffic on the brokers board which relates to questions about specific brokers. Other popular ones include iWeb, AJ Bell YouInvest, Interactive Investors etc. There's also a lot of threads which are simply asking for recommendations about which broker is best. Perhaps this is an opportunity to create a small number of sub-forums to help structure things better? Sub-forums for the current popular low cost brokers and a sub-forum specifically for 'Best broker for me' type questions which would include discussions on broker pricing.

Budget Discussion - This is a board which is quiet for 10 months of the year but bursts into life briefly around the time of the Autumn Statement and the full annual budget statement. The Autumn Statement is due on 23rd November which isn't too far away. Based on previous observation, budget related announcements also cause threads to be created on the Taxes - Practical board as well as the Pension related boards. My suggest here to help would be that Budget Discussion is created as a sub-forum under Taxes - Practical.

Taxes - Practical issues - A fantastically useful board and still receiving posts across on TMF. Based on my observations over the years, useful sub-forums here would be: Income Tax & NI, Capital Gains Tax, Inheritance Tax, Help with Self Assessment.

Collective Investments - Doesn't exist on TMF but here's my thinking... people have asked for an Investment Trusts & Funds board, TMF has as Exchange Traded Funds board which is useful but missing so far, there was also an Index Funds board which occasionally sprang to life. With a Collective Investments board you could potentially establish sub-forums for ETFs, ITs and Unit Trusts separately. Alternatively you could subdivide into Active Funds and Passive Funds.

Financial Tools - Already setup. Could be usefully subdivided down into Investment Tools (for HYP Tools, portfolio management software etc) and Budgeting Tools (for MS Money, Quicken etc).

Investment Strategies - Already setup. There's a board on TMF called Investing for Income and I think it has been requested already earlier in this this. As a suggestion, Investing for Income could be setup as a sub-forum under Investment Strategies. This could be have a complementary Investing for Capital Growth. That would leave the main forum to endlessly debate about the fact that it's Total Return which really counts or point posters to one, other or both of the sub-forums. This structure would also allow for future expansion for specific strategies (Value Investing, FTSE Dogs, Mechanical Investing etc) if there's a call for them going forwards (I'm not suggesting creating them now).

Pensions - Self Invested - SIPPs - The 'Pensions - Practical Problems' board has already been established. There's a TMF board called 'Pensions - Self-Invested - SIPPs' which attracted quite a bit of traffic. In my view there was always a lot of overlap between these two boards. My suggestion would be to setup a SIPPs sub-forum under the Pensions Practical board to keep the two of these together.

Peer to Peer Lending - to replace Social and P2P Lending on TMF.

Vanguard - There is a TMF board for Vanguard already and recently it received a bit of traffic as Vanguard has announced that it will be launching a direct investment platform in the UK. As and when it does I suspect that TMF boards would attract a lot of traffic around this. As a suggestion, why not add a sub-forum under Brokers & Share Dealing in anticipation (see above).

Hope the above is food for thought.

Great work so far. I'm amazed how quickly the TMF community has decamped and setup shop again over here.

Degsy

Jonetc15
Lemon Slice

Postby Jonetc15 » November 5th, 2016, 10:43 pm

With aplogies for duplicating previous posts, while getting to find out how to reply in a thread, I have promised to propose/support a Technical Analysis board.

I also support the proposal for a Computer Help (or similar name) board.

With much appreciation and very many thanks to those who are setting up this forum

Jon

wickham
Lemon Slice

Postby wickham » November 6th, 2016, 8:23 am

LOST "Land of Serious Topics" was very busy on TMF, mainly politics, is Beerpig's Snug intended to be the replacement?

"Help with this blasted computer" was also very busy and useful.

Please consider these extra boards.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » November 6th, 2016, 11:55 am

wickham wrote:LOST "Land of Serious Topics" was very busy on TMF, mainly politics, is Beerpig's Snug intended to be the replacement?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beerpig's Snug is a friendly place for people to drop in and have a convivial chat.

LoST is a board for anarchists, would-be dictators, fruitcakes and Daily Mail/Express readers. (OK, I exaggerate, but you get the idea!)

Never the twain shall meet

--kiloran

wickham
Lemon Slice

Postby wickham » November 6th, 2016, 12:10 pm

kiloran wrote:
wickham wrote:LOST "Land of Serious Topics" was very busy on TMF, mainly politics, is Beerpig's Snug intended to be the replacement?

Beerpig's Snug is a friendly place for people to drop in and have a convivial chat.

LoST is a board for anarchists, would-be dictators, fruitcakes and Daily Mail/Express readers. (OK, I exaggerate, but you get the idea!)

--kiloran

I was being deliberately provocative, as a LOST contributor, never a Beerpig's Snug member, although I may become one ;)

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » November 6th, 2016, 12:36 pm

wickham wrote:
kiloran wrote:

:)

--kiloran

I was being deliberately provocative, as a LOST contributor, never a Beerpig's Snug member, although I may become one ;)

Please don't do that, I spluttered my coffee all over my laptop. A judicious smilie might have helped :)

0x3F

Postby 0x3F » November 6th, 2016, 1:11 pm

Another request for Investment Trust & Unit Trust board, please.

0x3F

Midsmartin
Lemon Slice

Postby Midsmartin » November 6th, 2016, 1:16 pm

I think that the more boards are replicated here, the more people will move over, here and the more of a community will develop here, though there are many rarely used TMF boards which could be lost I'm sure. I can already see people on TMF saying that they are signing off because their favourite board is not yet existent here. Perhaps making a list of TMF boards based on the number of posts and/or threads there in the last 12 months would be good. I dare say such a list is already being perused in Lemony Towers.

The next issue, if there were dozens of boards, is to reduce clutter on the home page. I wonder if the main headings can be made collapsible?

wickham
Lemon Slice

Postby wickham » November 6th, 2016, 1:17 pm

kiloran wrote:
wickham wrote:
kiloran wrote:NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:)

--kiloran

Please don't do that, I spluttered my coffee all over my laptop. A judicious smilie might have helped :)

Talking to yourself, kiloran? The NOOO... was your's :D

penym
Lemon Pip

Postby penym » November 6th, 2016, 2:42 pm

Can we have a new Serious Topics board. I know many fools avoid LosT because they think we are all rude and given to personal attacks, but we do have some good discussions and I will really miss LoST if we cannot bring something like it over here.

Anniel ( was penym)

tieresias
Lemon Pip

Postby tieresias » November 6th, 2016, 3:58 pm

Could I request "Investors' Roundtable / International - Expat Investors" please.

It is not a very busy board, but has been very useful to me, hopefully to others, and is a board where I feel I can add some value from time to time.

doug2500
Lemon Slice

Postby doug2500 » November 6th, 2016, 4:23 pm

Do you think the NFSC will have a home here?

lolBBCeuLOST

Postby lolBBCeuLOST » November 6th, 2016, 4:52 pm

Whatwouldhomerdo wrote:Land of Serious Topics

WWHD

Seconded.

LOST was arguably the most popular Board on TMF and would have consistently featured on Best of Boards if it had not been filtered out.

It was in the Goldilocks zone, not so many posters that it became impractical to read, enough posters to keep up a regular feed of interesting topics.

kodokan

Postby kodokan » November 6th, 2016, 5:20 pm

Another request, please, for a FIRE board (Financial Independence, Retire Early). Perhaps in the Managing Your Finances section, as I think it goes beyond discussing straight investment issues into being more 'lifestyle-y'. From similar ones I frequent in the US, it's a mindset journey that people undertake, similar to those Dealing with Debt, and the conversation usually expands to cover much more than getting a decent investment yield.

TheRIT
2 Lemon pips

Postby TheRIT » November 6th, 2016, 5:45 pm

kodokan wrote:Another request, please, for a FIRE board (Financial Independence, Retire Early). Perhaps in the Managing Your Finances section, as I think it goes beyond discussing straight investment issues into being more 'lifestyle-y'. From similar ones I frequent in the US, it's a mindset journey that people undertake, similar to those Dealing with Debt, and the conversation usually expands to cover much more than getting a decent investment yield.

For now we're over on the Retirement Investing board. Please do join us as the more the merrier.

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”