Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34,Anonymous, for Donating to support the site

Tips on navigating the boards

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
oldcharlie
Lemon Pip

Re: Tips on navigating the boards

Postby oldcharlie » November 13th, 2016, 12:34 pm

stooz,

I have duplicated two boards in the TA section. Can they be merged! Apologies for stupidity.

OC

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » November 13th, 2016, 3:24 pm

oldcharlie wrote:stooz, I have duplicated two boards in the TA section. Can they be merged!

Hi OC,
I can see what you are trying to say, but the terminology is a bit loose. In phpBB terms there's no such thing as a 'board'. Stooz would have to quiz you to be sure of what you meant before acting. In decending order, this site has a Site Index. This lists a number of Container Forums (Lemon Lounge is one, your TA is in the Investors' Roundtable one). These Container Forums contain ordinary Forums, which in turn contain Posts. When a Post has a Reply it is termed a Topic (this is what we used to call a 'thread' in 'the old place').

What I think you mean is that in the TA Forum you have two Topics called 'DJ Industrial' that should really only be one. I'm sure this can be sorted for you, and for future reference you can contact the Mods directly to ask for things like this by reporting your own post - there's a [!] button next to the ["] quote one for this purpose.

KirbyMuxloe

Postby KirbyMuxloe » November 13th, 2016, 3:57 pm

Hi - first post and all that jazz...
Was there a way of liking a board so that you could navigate to a my_lemonfool boards landing page like my_fool on fool.co.uk which would display my liked boards only and whether boards I have liked have unread messages?
Sorry I'm not able to link to all these links shown as examples for some reason.
Well done everyone for creating this life raft so quickly.
Ant

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » November 13th, 2016, 6:38 pm

KirbyMuxloe wrote:Hi - first post and all that jazz...
Was there a way of liking a board so that you could navigate to a my_lemonfool boards landing page like my_fool...

Welcome!

Yes, there's a near-equivalent, see here... viewtopic.php?f=9&t=444

CryptoPlankton
Lemon Slice

Postby CryptoPlankton » November 14th, 2016, 7:31 pm

Breelander wrote:
Was there a way of liking a board so that you could navigate to a my_lemonfool boards landing page like my_fool...

Welcome!

Hi Bree

Thanks for that, I'm trying hard to make this site something I feel comfortable using and this method for recreating a favourite boards type thing may just be the key. Having edited the notifications by email (after waking up to a deluge in my inbox this morning!) it seems to be nearly what I'm after. My only gripe now is that, when I've caught up on the posts on one board, getting back to my "favourite boards" requires clicking on my name and then "user control panel" followed by "manage my subscriptions". Have you identified a quicker route?

TIA and a virtual (aren't they all anyway?!) rec, CP

Gersemi
Lemon Slice

Postby Gersemi » November 14th, 2016, 7:39 pm

CryptoPlankton wrote:
Thanks for that, I'm trying hard to make this site something I feel comfortable using and this method for recreating a favourite boards type thing may just be the key. Having edited the notifications by email (after waking up to a deluge in my inbox this morning!) it seems to be nearly what I'm after. My only gripe now is that, when I've caught up on the posts on one board, getting back to my "favourite boards" requires clicking on my name and then "user control panel" followed by "manage my subscriptions". Have you identified a quicker route?

I open the notification in a new tab, so just close it when I've finished reading it, leaving the notification window open. Of course I have to remember where I'm up to and I refresh it from time to time to update it, but it saves a few clicks.

Cheers
Gersemi

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » November 14th, 2016, 7:39 pm

CryptoPlankton wrote:My only gripe now is that, when I've caught up on the posts on one board, getting back to my "favourite boards" requires clicking on my name and then "user control panel" followed by "manage my subscriptions".

As Breelander says in the first line of the other topic - bookmark it.

I have it in my quicklinks toolbar in my browser as TLF, right next to the soon-to-be-redundant TMF :-(

Scott.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » November 14th, 2016, 7:40 pm

CryptoPlankton wrote:
Breelander wrote:

Welcome!

Hi Bree

TIA and a virtual (aren't they all anyway?!) rec, CP

I'm sure Bree will let you know if there is a simpler method but I keep the "Manage subscriptions" window open and open the Forums/fora in a separate window. Then close those down and refresh the "Manage subscriptions" page.

PD

CryptoPlankton
Lemon Slice

Postby CryptoPlankton » November 14th, 2016, 8:02 pm

Doh! I had put it on the bookmark bar as suggested, but have never used it in such a way before so didn't even think to click on it a second time. It's perfect - when I've caught up on a board, I click on the bookmark and I'm into my favourites again with all the read boards showing read and with no new tabs/windows to clutter me up. Brilliant! Thanks Scott and others. There is hope here for me yet... :D

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » November 14th, 2016, 8:03 pm

CryptoPlankton wrote:I click on the bookmark and I'm into my favourites again with all the read boards showing read

.. and the unread boards showing red :-)

Scott.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » November 15th, 2016, 12:06 am

PinkDalek wrote:I'm sure Bree will let you know if there is a simpler method but I keep the "Manage subscriptions" window open and open the Forums/fora in a separate window. Then close those down and refresh the "Manage subscriptions" page.
PD

I have requested a navigation link be added to the site, but in the mean time I have it bookmarked. Oh, and a shortcut on my Desktop.

It's also rapidly becoming top of my list of tiles for 'top sites' in those browsers have this feature on their 'New Tab' page - Edge, Internet Explorer and Firefox for example. I generally set my browsers Home page to be 'New Tab' so when I open any of mine the 'manage subscriptions' page is one click away - and two clicks ('Home' is the first) from whatever page I'm currently reading.

JonE
Lemon Slice

Postby JonE » November 15th, 2016, 11:01 am

PinkDalek wrote: I keep the "Manage subscriptions" window open and open the Forums/fora in a separate window. Then close those down and refresh the "Manage subscriptions" page.

I used TMF's detached 'My Boards' (using Opera(Legacy) in MDI mode) which, by TMF default, auto-refreshes every 90 seconds. TLF might be able to implement this on their 'Manage subscriptions' page - though doing so may create traffic they don't wish to see.

That superseded browser allows a user to over-ride the page default and set a custom 'Reload Every...' interval so, even though Vivaldi (which I use for TLF) does not (yet?) do so, perhaps it's worth checking whether one's own browser of choice for TLF provides this feature.

Cheers!

GN100
2 Lemon pips

Postby GN100 » November 18th, 2016, 7:54 pm

Not a tip but a comment. Whilst happily clicking from topic to topic here on TLF I noticed how rapid the response times are compared to some evenings on TMF. There were times there when I despaired of actually getting to the post I was interested in. It's a pleasure to click around TLF, again, very well done Stooz and Clariman.

Bubblesofearth
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bubblesofearth » November 19th, 2016, 7:26 am

Any way of collapsing threads so that you just see a list of posts rather than all the text? Apols if this has been asked/answered already.
BofE

k333
2 Lemon pips

Postby k333 » November 19th, 2016, 4:51 pm

It would be good to have a "Next Thread" facility to get to the next thread in the board index as listed. This would be especially useful on boards like Laughing where there are lots of very short threads. It's possible it could be reasonably easy to implement - unlike (I suspect) having Recs.

- K

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » November 19th, 2016, 6:29 pm

k333 wrote:It would be good to have a "Next Thread" facility to get to the next thread in the board index as listed. This would be especially useful on boards like Laughing where there are lots of very short threads. It's possible it could be reasonably easy to implement - unlike (I suspect) having Recs.

- K

Better (or maybe as well as) would be to have a "Next Unread" button that took you to the next unread thread/post, so you don't have to keep on popping up to the forum's index to click on the next red icon...

k333
2 Lemon pips

Postby k333 » November 19th, 2016, 7:04 pm

mc2fool wrote:
k333 wrote:It would be good to have a "Next Thread" facility to get to the next thread in the board index as listed. This would be especially useful on boards like Laughing where there are lots of very short threads. It's possible it could be reasonably easy to implement - unlike (I suspect) having Recs.

- K

Better (or maybe as well as) would be to have a "Next Unread" button that took you to the next unread thread/post, so you don't have to keep on popping up to the forum's index to click on the next red icon...

Yes, but I'm looking at this from a programmer's POV. My proposal is possibly a lot simpler. But for all I know stooz is so ace that it is child's play. I used to work at ICL in Systems and Operating Systems and really do know how good the best were!! You couldn't believe what they could do in a quiet weekend.

- K

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » November 19th, 2016, 9:46 pm

k333 wrote:
mc2fool wrote:

Yes, but I'm looking at this from a programmer's POV. My proposal is possibly a lot simpler. But for all I know stooz is so ace that it is child's play. I used to work at ICL in Systems and Operating Systems and really do know how good the best were!! You couldn't believe what they could do in a quiet weekend.

LOL! Oh wow, ICL eh? :lol: An ICL 1904 was the first machine I ever coded (quickly went onto DECs though, much better). That was at school in the days when folks who did such things were called "programmers"; after school I went on to spend a career at it, as a Software Engineer ;)

In any case, there's no programming needed for a Previous/Next Thread facility, there's already a phpBB extension for it. However, it is, in reality, of very limited use, being only generally useful when one is new or an irregular visitor to a forum and wants to flick through or mass-catch-up on it. When one is a regular(ish) reader of a forum (surely the case for the vast majority) then what one wants is to be able to easily and quickly go to posts that are new (to you), that you haven't seen before -- unread posts -- and so for the vast majority of people the vast majority of the time a Next Unread facility will be massively more useful.

Of course, if you're looking at the special (and unusual) case of a forum that almost always has just one post per topic, and you start on a new topic to you, then next topic and next unread are synonymous, and I'll bet that's what you actually want, to see the next one that's new to you, the next unread, right...? Most (all other?) forums though are discussion forums and aren't like that.

Anyway, I don't know if there's an extension for Next Unread or not, and that'll probably swing the matter one way or the other....

Dod1010
Lemon Quarter

Postby Dod1010 » November 21st, 2016, 8:42 am

Not sure if this is the correct place but I find that after writing a post and clicking 'Submit' I have some time to recall the post to edit it or even delete it. After a time these options seem to disappear. Is that correct and if so how long do I get?

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » November 21st, 2016, 10:48 am

Dod1010 wrote:Not sure if this is the correct place but I find that after writing a post and clicking 'Submit' I have some time to recall the post to edit it or even delete it. After a time these options seem to disappear. Is that correct and if so how long do I get?

Yes, you are correct in what you can do. I understand, from other posts on the Lemon Fool, the current time limit is 8 minutes, which can be amended by the site owners should they so require.

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”