Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Willy-waving

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Willy-waving

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 16th, 2016, 8:51 am

There's a small issue with the board software, highlighted in a thread on the cookery board. Mildly amusing to one's inner twelve-year-old.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1486

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: Willy-waving

Postby redsturgeon » December 16th, 2016, 9:06 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:There's a small issue with the board software, highlighted in a thread on the cookery board. Mildly amusing to one's inner twelve-year-old.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1486

It is a feature rather than an issue. ;)

John

Stonge
Lemon Slice

Postby Stonge » December 16th, 2016, 9:36 am

Other examples of this entertaining feature

She felt a prick as the thorn jabbed her foot.

He felt the prick of the needle.

She felt a prick of jealousy.

Prick up one's ears.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » December 16th, 2016, 10:45 am

O/T, but Alice Roberts did a whole programme once about the search for a willy mammoth. I daresay she'll write a berk about it some day.

Somewhere, there's a book waiting to be written about the fun that can arise from these auto-Bowdlerising routines. (Can you still say Scunthorpe?) And I wonder what the Americans would make of somebody who was gasping for a fag?

Pee po belly bum drawers.

BJ

Stonge
Lemon Slice

Postby Stonge » December 16th, 2016, 10:51 am

Trump.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » December 16th, 2016, 12:19 pm

:lol: Some of the substitutions are hilarious!

While sh*t, rather predictably, comes out as [expletive deleted] (but why the upper case first letter?), b*ll*cks, somewhat imaginatively, comes out as [expletive deleted], and the most well known four letter word comes out as ... [expletive deleted]! :shock: So that's what was happening on Wimbledon Common!

However, the substitutions seem to only happen for certain forms of the word (presumably those in a list). If you put, e.g., the most well known four letter word in third person singular or in the past it comes out as typed -- although the gerund does result in [expletive deleted]!

I'll leave it as an exercise for the reader(s) to discover other substitutions :D

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » December 16th, 2016, 12:30 pm

although the gerund does result in wombling!

Chiz chiz, a gerund is not a bit like a womble, although it's certainly rather wild in its own way.

http://mrcweb.org.uk/mrc2015/wp-content ... nd-cut.jpg

As any fule kno.

BJ

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » December 16th, 2016, 12:51 pm

Well, I can see the funny side of this particular incident, but...

I do NOT like having the words I type silently changed into others. Telling me that a word is unacceptable, OK - though it really ought to only be done when the word doesn't have completely 'innocent' uses, as "prick" does. Offering me an alternative for me to approve or find a better alternative, fine. But just changing it without telling me relies on me being very careful to preview every word I post or risk posting nonsense - and that will discourage me from posting...

Given that the whole auto-replacement-of-bad-words thing has clearly been done very incompetently and incompletely, I would strongly suggest that it should be turned off.

Gengulphus

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » December 16th, 2016, 1:08 pm

It seems like it's something that's been done recently. I can't believe that this post viewtopic.php?f=22&t=167 which (ironically) is changed to suggest doing something rather rude with a pumpkin, went without comment at the time.

Scott.

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » December 16th, 2016, 1:51 pm

swill453 wrote:It seems like it's something that's been done recently. I can't believe that this post http://lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=167 which (ironically) is changed to suggest doing something rather rude with a pumpkin, went without comment at the time.

Scott.

I agree that the retrospective bowdlerisation of that recipe makes it quite hard to read. You have to work out what the Willy was meant to say - and unless you read this topic, you might be a bit puzzled.

FWIW I think the feature should be turned off and any real swearing can be reported by anyone and the mods will deal with it.

Could the feature generate automatic reports instead of text replacement?

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » December 16th, 2016, 1:53 pm

It does, at least, seem to be British. I can say that a donkey is a type of ass but, if I use the British slang for "posterior", I get "Pink Marshmallows".

At least we can still discuss stop cocks and blue tits. It does seem rather silly and counterproductive, however.

Julian F. G. W.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » December 16th, 2016, 1:55 pm

jfgw wrote:It does, at least, seem to be British. I can say that a donkey is a type of ass but, if I use the British slang for "posterior", I get "Pink Marshmallows".

Not if you use bum!

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » December 16th, 2016, 2:03 pm

jfgw wrote:...but, if I use the British slang for "posterior", I get "Pink Marshmallows".

I notice that, if I add the word "hole" immediately after the above-referenced word, it doesn't get censored. Racially offensive words also seem to get past unaltered. The list of objectionable words does seem to be a somewhat short one.

Julian F. G. W.
Last edited by jfgw on December 16th, 2016, 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » December 16th, 2016, 2:04 pm

Gengulphus wrote:Well, I can see the funny side of this particular incident, but...

I do NOT like having the words I type silently changed into others. Telling me that a word is unacceptable, OK - though it really ought to only be done when the word doesn't have completely 'innocent' uses, as "prick" does. Offering me an alternative for me to approve or find a better alternative, fine. But just changing it without telling me relies on me being very careful to preview every word I post or risk posting nonsense - and that will discourage me from posting...

Given that the whole auto-replacement-of-bad-words thing has clearly been done very incompetently and incompletely, I would strongly suggest that it should be turned off.

Gengulphus

That's a bit strong, it's only being tried out I think - Stooze is working really hard here. To imply he is behaving incompetently is out of order I'm afraid.

I doubt any single thing suits everyone though.

Mel

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » December 16th, 2016, 2:24 pm

Presumably, the blacklist (with its substitute words) is customisable. There are probably very few words which need to be on it, and those that do are not the ones with "acceptable" meanings. I'm sure we all appreciate the effort that Stooz and Clariman have put into this great resource for our benefit. A little bit of automation to take some of the workload, if appropriate, does not seem out of place. However, I do feel, personally, that the feature would be best left to deal with just the naughtiest of words. I suspect that this is a feature that is merely just being tried out (with hilarious results) to see how well it works.

One can always use the Preview button before posting to see what the post will look like once published, and, if you are quick enough, you can edit your own posts.

Julian F. G. W.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » December 16th, 2016, 2:25 pm

melonfool wrote:That's a bit strong, it's only being tried out I think - Stooze is working really hard here. To imply he is behaving incompetently is out of order I'm afraid.

Well said. Thanks for everything you're doing, Stooz and Clariman.

robbelg
Lemon Slice

Postby robbelg » December 16th, 2016, 3:39 pm

bungeejumper wrote:
melonfool wrote:That's a bit strong, it's only being tried out I think - Stooze is working really hard here. To imply he is behaving incompetently is out of order I'm afraid.

Well said. Thanks for everything you're doing, Stooz and Clariman.

Have a virtual rec :)

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » December 16th, 2016, 5:04 pm

melonfool wrote:
Gengulphus wrote:Given that the whole auto-replacement-of-bad-words thing has clearly been done very incompetently and incompletely, I would strongly suggest that it should be turned off.

That's a bit strong, it's only being tried out I think - Stooze is working really hard here. To imply he is behaving incompetently is out of order I'm afraid.

I was talking about whoever produced the list of substitutions - and I neither said nor thought that it was stooz: the implication that it is comes from you rather than me.

I was assuming stooz had turned on a feature that comes with phpBB, or used some sort of add-on extension, in either case to try it out. The comment was intended as technical feedback on the feature / extension: it's not fit for purpose.

Gengulphus

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » December 17th, 2016, 10:43 am

Actually, "Womble" (as a substitute for the "F"-word) seems ok to me:
"Womble off!"
"It's Wombled!"
"I saw these two having a Womble in the back of their car."

I'm not so sure about the substitute for A**e; Pink marshmallows my Pink marshmallows!

Actually, wouldn't "Pink marshmallows" upset the PC brigade as being racist? Not that we should care what the PC brigade think.

Julian F. G. W.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » December 17th, 2016, 10:45 am

Seems we're allowed the odd prick or two now.

Scott.

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”