Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Moderation Suggestions

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
mc2fool
Lemon Half

Moderation Suggestions

Postby mc2fool » December 17th, 2016, 3:24 pm

Two suggestions to put into the moderators how-to book, both from reading viewtopic.php?p=15630

1) Have any discussions between moderators behind the scenes rather than a back-and-forth of Moderator Messages in a post, as in viewtopic.php?p=15630#p15528, unless of course it is an invitation to all readers to offer opinions, in which case make it clear it is so (and probably best to do it as a normal reply, rather than a Mod Msg).

2) When posting "moved" announcements, e.g. Moving to strategy board leaving ghost on this board, as in viewtopic.php?p=15630#p15884, remember that "this" is relative and leaves folks wondering as to where it came from after the post is moved, so be explicit in naming the board it came from.

HTH :D

todthedog
Lemon Slice

Re: Moderation Suggestions

Postby todthedog » December 17th, 2016, 4:01 pm

Have a moderation board visible only to mods.
Keeps discussion behind closed doors and stops those being moderated from taking offence.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » December 17th, 2016, 4:16 pm

todthedog wrote:Have a moderation board visible only to mods.
Keeps discussion behind closed doors and stops those being moderated from taking offence.

A separate location for such discussions sounds fine and TMF had a Civil Discussion board where moderation and related issues could be debated.

But I don't like the idea of not being able to see those discussions. I think such discussions will be of a higher quality if they are open, public and transparent. Moderators should be willing to stand behind their words and decisions, and it will help the moderators to get things right if others can give them feedback, which implies that we can join that discussion as well (within reason, of course, because those comments can also be moderated if not constructive).

I am less likely to be offended by such messages than I am to be offended by being talked about behind my back, knowing nothing about it.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » December 17th, 2016, 6:10 pm

mc2fool wrote:Two suggestions to put into the moderators how-to book, both from reading viewtopic.php?p=15630

1) Have any discussions between moderators behind the scenes rather than a back-and-forth of Moderator Messages in a post, as in viewtopic.php?p=15630#p15528, unless of course it is an invitation to all readers to offer opinions, in which case make it clear it is so (and probably best to do it as a normal reply, rather than a Mod Msg).

2) When posting "moved" announcements, e.g. Moving to strategy board leaving ghost on this board, as in viewtopic.php?p=15630#p15884, remember that "this" is relative and leaves folks wondering as to where it came from after the post is moved, so be explicit in naming the board it came from.

Aye.

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » December 17th, 2016, 6:20 pm

mc2fool wrote:
2) When posting "moved" announcements, e.g. Moving to strategy board leaving ghost on this board, as in http://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=15630#p15884, remember that "this" is relative and leaves folks wondering as to where it came from after the post is moved, so be explicit in naming the board it came from.

Understood and edited to correct.

Raptor.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » December 17th, 2016, 6:25 pm

Raptor wrote:Understood and edited to correct.

Raptor.

It's good that you sign your moderator messages. Others do not so we have no way of knowing which moderator wrote what as was the case in the example that mc2fool gave.

Maybe make that a general rule - that each moderator comment identifies themselves?

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » December 17th, 2016, 6:32 pm

Lootman wrote:
Raptor wrote:Understood and edited to correct.

Raptor.

It's good that you sign your moderator messages. Others do not so we have no way of knowing which moderator wrote what as was the case in the example that mc2fool gave.

Maybe make that a general rule - that each moderator comment identifies themselves?

That was me too, sorry. Am still working on my "style".

Raptor.

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”