Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

** Board Structure ** Phase 3 - 17th December

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Re: ** Board Structure ** Phase 3 - 17th December

Postby BrummieDave » December 19th, 2016, 10:24 am

Thanks for explaining but perhaps by moving it as you have this has effectively hidden it from others and made their comments less likely to be made.

Your Board, not mine, and I doff my proverbial cap to you. But hopefully it will remain a welcoming place for non-experts to post occasionally naive questions and gain the benefit of insight and experience from others; that would suit both the non expert questioners and the very experienced responders, both cohorts enjoy that I'm sure.

I for one would feel sorry if the structure of the board became too expert orientated removing the very wonderful example of internet communication between questioners and responders that this board could be. Ten or fifteen years ago, how else could you ask a financial question about your own plans and receive the collective wisdom, and interactive dialogue, of twenty or more experts in that field. It's bloody marvellous IMHO.

And with that I'm off delivering presents...

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » December 19th, 2016, 10:29 am

BrummieDave wrote:hopefully it will remain a welcoming place for non-experts to post occasionally naive questions and gain the benefit of insight and experience from others; that would suit both the non expert questioners and the very experienced responders, both cohorts enjoy that I'm sure.

I for one would feel sorry if the structure of the board became too expert orientated removing the very wonderful example of internet communication between questioners and responders that this board could be. Ten or fifteen years ago, how else could you ask a financial question about your own plans and receive the collective wisdom, and interactive dialogue, of twenty or more experts in that field. It's bloody marvellous IMHO.

Absolutely agree! :) I don't understand what makes you think it would be anything other than that? Serious question.

I wasn't closing down your discussion - simply moving it to somewhere it wouldn't get lost.

Clariman

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » December 19th, 2016, 11:43 am

Clariman wrote:I moved it

Suggestion: when moving posts it would be mighty helpful to folks wondering what's happened if a brief Moderator Message were added saying what had happened...

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » December 19th, 2016, 11:44 am

mc2fool wrote:

Suggestion: when moving posts it would be mighty helpful to folks wondering what's happened if a brief Moderator Message were added saying what had happened...

Point taken :)

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » December 19th, 2016, 12:32 pm

mc2fool wrote:

Though of course that's only useful if the moderator message is findable by those looking for the 'old' topic. Which suggests that getting rid of a topic entirely is only a good idea if it's material that's not wanted on the site at all - if it's just that it's all wanted elsewhere, post the moderator message saying where it's gone to the 'old' topic, move all other posts in the 'old' topic to the 'new' one, and lock the 'old' topic.

Gengulphus

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Postby BrummieDave » December 19th, 2016, 8:39 pm

Good point Gengulphus, although in this case, very few people will be looking for the 'old topic' as I only created at 9pm on Sunday night and it had been moved to somewhere where it would act as a reminder to Clariman (but to all extent deleted as a topic) before Monday morning.

I don't have a problem with that, as it's not my board and I don't have a problem with 'Investing for Income' being a subforum, again cos it's not my board.

I do however feel very strongly that having the opportunity to pose a question and have the informed views of others by reply, and for them to interact and further communicate relevant guidance and ideas, is a truly wonderful thing. Within a financial planning context, in pre-Internet days you could only seek such guidance on a one to one basis either from someone whose 'guidance' would be limited to the products they sell, or from someone who would expect a fee. And you only did it once, or possibly twice. Boards like this allow you to do it as many times as you wish, and get the collective views of many and I think that is truly marvelous and a valuable resource for all.

It was in that context that I gave my constructive feedback last night at 8.59pm.

Keep up the good work moderators, and whilst I seem to have unintentionally created an item that has drifted into the area of board governance, please also consider my original point.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » December 19th, 2016, 9:51 pm

BrummieDave wrote:Good point Gengulphus, although in this case, very few people will be looking for the 'old topic' as I only created at 9pm on Sunday night and it had been moved to somewhere where it would act as a reminder to Clariman (but to all extent deleted as a topic) before Monday morning.

Indeed - but if a topic called "Doesn't 'Investing for Income' merit its own listing?" had remained in existence, even locked and only containing a single moderator message saying that it had been merged into this topic, it wouldn't have been "deleted as a topic" to quite as great an extent. In particular, users who scanned the forum's topics would still be able to see that the question had been asked and where to go for any discussion of it.

Gengulphus

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Postby BrummieDave » December 26th, 2016, 8:43 pm

Not sure where to post this, but as I know the mods read this topic, here seems as good as anywhere else to ask: what happened to the Topic posted on Christmas Eve on the 'Trading my way to a million' Board about Gambling Websites?

At the time I assumed it had been removed because it broke a TLF Board rule, but couldn't think which one - was it because it implicitly criticised a real person? A quick scan of other Topics on various Boards seem to do that?

Or was it deemed too 'off topic' to remain on that Board?

Or did I in fact dream the whole existence of the Topic - the last 48 hours have been a strange combo of food, wine, and unwanted guests.

As I've said before, I don't mind how the mods treat any of my posts; it's not my board after all. Just wondering...

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » December 26th, 2016, 9:13 pm

BrummieDave wrote:Not sure where to post this, but as I know the mods read this topic, here seems as good as anywhere else to ask: what happened to the Topic posted on Christmas Eve on the 'Trading my way to a million' Board about Gambling Websites?

At the time I assumed it had been removed because it broke a TLF Board rule, but couldn't think which one - was it because it implicitly criticised a real person? A quick scan of other Topics on various Boards seem to do that?

Or was it deemed too 'off topic' to remain on that Board?

Or did I in fact dream the whole existence of the Topic - the last 48 hours have been a strange combo of food, wine, and unwanted guests.

As I've said before, I don't mind how the mods treat any of my posts; it's not my board after all. Just wondering...

It was deleted by a mod as being off topic for a Trading board.

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Postby BrummieDave » December 26th, 2016, 10:21 pm

Fair enough, thanks for answering.

It wasn't a Topic I created but I was just wondering where it had gone...

CatcheeMonkee
Lemon Pip

Postby CatcheeMonkee » January 4th, 2017, 4:32 pm

Could we please have a "Health Club" board, under "Any Other Business" or somewhere else, so that we can discuss latest diet plans and other health issues! Thank you!

stooz
Site Admin

Postby stooz » January 4th, 2017, 8:10 pm

CatcheeMonkee wrote:Could we please have a "Health Club" board, under "Any Other Business" or somewhere else, so that we can discuss latest diet plans and other health issues! Thank you!

You mean this one ?

viewforum.php?f=86

:D just been added

CatcheeMonkee
Lemon Pip

Postby CatcheeMonkee » January 5th, 2017, 9:44 am

Thank you Stooz. Looks popular already!

SKYSHIP
Lemon Slice

Investing in REITs & Propcos

Postby SKYSHIP » January 8th, 2017, 2:42 pm

I would like to start a new heading UNDER THE TITLE:

Investing in REITs & Propcos

It is my wish to start a thread, not a topic, for those interested in COMMERCIAL PROPERTY.

Most property threads immediately become subverted to HOUSING :!:

Can anyone advise how I can get this message through to the managers of The Lemon Fool?

THNX

Moderator Message:
Moved from Property Investment Discussions as a request for a new "board. Raptor.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Re: Investing in REITs & Propcos

Postby mc2fool » January 8th, 2017, 3:20 pm

Raptor wrote:
Moderator Message:
Moved from REITs & Propertiy Companies as a request for a new "board. Raptor.

Saw this and thought, ah, there's a REITs & Property Companies board I hadn't noticed, I'd be interested in that, but I can't find any such board ... :?

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » January 8th, 2017, 3:37 pm

mc2fool wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Moderator Message:
Moved from REITs & Propertiy Companies as a request for a new "board. Raptor.

Saw this and thought, ah, there's a REITs & Property Companies board I hadn't noticed, I'd be interested in that, but I can't find any such board ... :?

Damn cut and paste...... corrected. Thanks for spotting that.

Raptor.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » January 8th, 2017, 3:45 pm

Raptor wrote:Damn cut and paste...... corrected. Thanks for spotting that.

Oh, ok. That's disappointing. The Property Investment Discussions board seems to be mostly about BTL, housing and social issues....

Any chance of a REITs & Property Companies board, please? :)

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » January 8th, 2017, 4:31 pm

mc2fool wrote:The Property Investment Discussions board seems to be mostly about BTL, housing and social issues....

Your underlying assumption appears to be that there are people who want to discuss REIT's etc. but are put off from so doing because the Property boards doesn't seem like the right location. But how would you know whether this suppressed demand exists at all? Perhaps there just isn't much interest in the topic, and that is why we're not seeing those topics.

I'd argue that if we are going to have a property shares board, then we should have a board for every sector e.g. banking, energy, tech, healthcare, retail, mining and so on.

Or you could post some REIT topics on the property board and see who bites. That might indicate demand.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » January 8th, 2017, 5:54 pm

Or you could post some REIT topics on the property board and see who bites. That might indicate demand.

If it assists at all, Skyship commenced an "Investing in REITs & Propcos" Topic over at "Share Ideas" in the early days of TLF:

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=398

AJC5001
Lemon Slice

Postby AJC5001 » January 9th, 2017, 1:10 am

Lootman wrote:
mc2fool wrote:The Property Investment Discussions board seems to be mostly about BTL, housing and social issues....

I'd argue that if we are going to have a property shares board, then we should have a board for every sector e.g. banking, energy, tech, healthcare, retail, mining and so on.

The obvious place for a "REITs & Property Companies board" is on "Sectors & General Shares" viewforum.php?f=3 where there are already Banking, Oil and Miners.

Adrian

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”