Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Favourites?

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
UnclePhilip
2 Lemon pips

Favourites?

Postby UnclePhilip » December 19th, 2016, 10:03 am

Great that this site has been set up, thanks!

Not too good at these things: is there a way to set up so I can have a 'Favourite Boards' page rather like at Motley Fool?

Uncle

Instep
2 Lemon pips

Re: Favourites?

Postby Instep » December 19th, 2016, 10:11 am

UnclePhilip wrote:Great that this site has been set up, thanks!

Not too good at these things: is there a way to set up so I can have a 'Favourite Boards' page rather like at Motley Fool?

Uncle

If you subscribe to the boards and topics you like, you can save this link. It could be named My Lemon.

ucp.php?i=ucp_main&mode=subscribed

Instep

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » December 19th, 2016, 11:37 am

Instep wrote:If you subscribe to the boards and topics you like, you can save this link. It could be named My Lemon.

Indeed, and to expand on that a little, you can subscribe to a board by going to the board page (i.e. the listing of the topics in it) then scrolling to the very bottom of the page and clicking on Subscribe forum.

However, the default setting is that you will get sent an email every time someone posts in any of your subscribed forums. You may like that or you may not. If not then what you can do is click on your username, at the top-right of every page, and select User Control Panel. Within that you will find a plethora of options...

Overview - Manage Subscriptions gets you to the list of your subscribed forums and topics.

Board preferences - Edit notification options will let you control when the site sends you an email.

Instep
2 Lemon pips

Postby Instep » December 19th, 2016, 11:49 am

mc2fool wrote:Indeed, and to expand on that a little, you can subscribe to a board by going to the board page (i.e. the listing of the topics in it) then scrolling to the very bottom of the page and clicking on Subscribe forum.

Sorry, I didn't have time to add that detail. Thanks mc2fool.
To expand even further, you can also subscribe to a topic individually.
Scroll down to the end of the topic and look at the spanner icon.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » December 19th, 2016, 11:58 am

Instep wrote:
mc2fool wrote:Indeed, and to expand on that a little, you can subscribe to a board by going to the board page (i.e. the listing of the topics in it) then scrolling to the very bottom of the page and clicking on Subscribe forum.

Sorry, I didn't have time to add that detail. Thanks mc2fool.
To expand even further, you can also subscribe to a topic individually.
Scroll down to the end of the topic and look at the spanner icon.

You can, although depending on how much email you want -- or rather, don't want -- that might be less than ideal.

However, there are also Bookmarks which allows, for me at least, a good combination, being to have no emails for new posts to Subscribed forums & topics, but emails for everything else, including replies to Bookmarked topics. That, in effect, makes Subscribed forums like TMF Favourites and gives the extra feature of email notifications on (only) specific topics, the Bookmarked ones.

Each to their own configuration of course ;)

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » December 19th, 2016, 12:18 pm

However, the default setting is that you will get sent an email every time someone posts in any of your subscribed forums. You may like that or you may not. If not then what you can do is click on your username, at the top-right of every page, and select User Control Panel. Within that you will find a plethora of options...

Overview - Manage Subscriptions gets you to the list of your subscribed forums and topics.

Board preferences - Edit notification options will let you control when the site sends you an email.

To expand on that a bit more:

* You can also subscribe to an individual topic rather than to the entire board/forum that it's in - to do so, go to the topic (i.e. any page of posts in it) and click on the 'spanner' before or after the list of posts, and select Subscribe topic from the resulting menu.

* There is also the related idea of bookmarking topics - again, you can do that with the 'spanner', and you can get the list of your bookmarked topics using Overview - Manage bookmarks. Together with the "Someone creates a topic in a forum to which you are subscribed" notification option, this gives the alternative of subscribing to boards/forums which you might be interested in, choosing to be notified of new topics on your subscribed boards/forums, bookmarking the topics that you actually are interested in and using Overview - Manage bookmarks as your "Favourites". Not saying it's better, not that it's worse, by the way - it's just an alternative that will probably suit some people better (probably those who want to be quite selective about which topics they read) and some people worse (probably those who want to read everything on a board/forum).

On previewing, I see that others have said something about subscribing to and bookmarking topics while I've been typing - but they haven't quite described that last usage model, so I'll post anyway - more work to cut it down to just the new stuff than it's worth!

Gengulphus

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”