Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

NEW Health and Wellbeing forum

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).

where should the health board be

Poll ended at January 8th, 2017, 8:12 pm

lemon aid
17%
interests
67%
AOB
17%

Total votes: 6

stooz
Site Admin

NEW Health and Wellbeing forum

Postby stooz » January 4th, 2017, 8:12 pm

Health & Wellbeing

Hi, I have added a new forum for those wanting to get fit etc.

I have added it under lemon aids, but maybe it should go under Interests? Let me know!

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Re: NEW Health and Wellbeing forum

Postby Gengulphus » January 5th, 2017, 1:22 am

I've voted for 'Interests' rather than 'Lemon-Aid'. A 'Health and Wellbeing' forum could fit in either area, but I think they would imply different emphases: the 'Lemon-Aid' area would imply it was specifically for people wanting advice about a particular problem that other Fools might be able to aid them with, while the 'Interests' area would imply that it was for more general discussion of health & wellbeing issues that people might be interested in. Your announcement in the forum about how to use it suggests to me that you intend it more for the latter, with the former often best being answered with "See your doctor!", and so I think 'Interests' is the right area.

The 'Legal Issues' forum is an interesting sort-of-parallel case, with the same sort of possible asking-for-aid-on-a-specific-problem vs general-discussion-of-an-interest distinction in what it's supposed to be about. For it, that distinction has been resolved in favour of asking-for-aid-on-a-specific-problem, and that's been clarified in the forum name by amending it to 'Legal Issues (Practical)', with the general discussion that existed at the time that it was clarified being allowed to gently die out. That's meant as a compare-and-contrast example, by the way, not as a 'this is a precedent you ought to follow' hint! I find myself agreeing instinctively with your apparent conclusion that the two should be resolved in different directions, though I have to admit that I haven't yet managed to work out exactly why...

As a thought experiment to clarify the difference, someone wanting advice about how to cut down on excessive drinking would be a good example of an issue for a 'Lemon-Aid' forum, while someone wanting a discussion of whether the current standard advice to limit drinking to 3-4 units/day for men, 2-3 for women, was too strict / about right / not strict enough would be one for an 'Interests' forum. So would the latter be a welcome discussion on the new forum?

Gengulphus

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”