Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

*NEW* Boards and structure being implemented

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Re: *NEW* Boards and structure being implemented

Postby Wizard » November 9th, 2016, 10:25 am

Raptor wrote:Hi Clariman.

Above said High Yield - Practical I see it has been implemented as High Yield HYP Practical

Keep up the good work.

Raptor.

I think this needs to be bottomed out ASAP. The inclusion of "HYP" in the title has created the expectation amongst some that the acceptable topic of discussion for the board are exactly as per those on the old HYP Practical board on MFool. Others want it to be a broader board where other high yield matters can be discussed. Personally I favour the latter, but also really value the fantastic work and posts of some of the HYP regulars. I think this needs resolving ASAP before positions get too entrenched as it seems tanks are rapidly being parked on a number of lawns!

Terry.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » November 9th, 2016, 12:44 pm

Clariman wrote:4. Investors’ Roundtable
a. Trading my way to a million
b. High Yield – Practical
c. High Yield – Strategies
d. Investment Strategies
  • SubForum – Investing for Income
e. Venture Capital Trusts
f. Retirement Investing (including Early Retirement & Financial Independence)
g. Property Discussions
h. Gilts and Bonds
i. Technical Analysis
j. Investment and Unit Trusts
k. Passive Investing (Index Funds, ETFs & Trackers)
l. Portfolio Management

The two "High Yield - ..." boards are out of place in that list. They need at the very least to be "High Yield Equities - ..." to avoid massive overlap with some of the other categories - especially "Gilts and Bonds" (or at least the bonds part of it).

There is also the awkwardness inherited from the TMF "High Yield - HYP Practical" and "High Yield - Share Strategies" boards. In the first, "HYP" is basically a technical acronym for a particularly popular type of high-yield equity investment strategy. It originated in a particular strategy produced by pyad (then TMFPyad) in November 2000, but was not restricted to just that strategy on "High Yield - HYP Practical". Equally, though, it's definitely not all high-yield equity investment strategies - it's restricted among other things to those that are long-term-buy-and-hold, well-diversified and at least very largely owned as individual shares rather than any sort of fund.

There have long been conflicts between those who basically want just the original "pyadic" strategy, those who want the broader group of strategies that the "High Yield - HYP Practical" board caters for, and those who want even broader groups of high-yield equity strategy, and the move here has definitely brought those conflicts back to the surface. Furthermore, I'm fairly certain that those conflicts affect large enough groups of Fools that at least some attempt needs to be made to avoid the risk of driving them away.

I'm not certain how that should be done, and I'm sure that anything I suggest will attract some opposition, but the best I've come up with so far is a "High Yield Equities" forum with a "HYP Practical" subforum, basically corresponding to "High Yield - Share Strategies" and "High Yield - HYP Practical" respectively but representing their intended relationship better than the TMF boards and their naming did.

Or possibly split "High Yield Equities" into "High Yield Equities - Practical" and "High Yield Equities - Strategies", with "HYP Practical" being a subforum of the former.

And probably most important, some sort of announcement on the resulting forum(s) and subforum, basically saying that this is to get things going, will be revisited once higher-priority stuff has been dealt with, and please, everyone, bear with it until then.

Gengulphus

Grumpi
Lemon Pip

Postby Grumpi » November 9th, 2016, 3:12 pm

I'm still finding my way about but;
Perhaps the TMF Grumpy Old Fools ex Grumpy Old Men could be reincarnated here as
Grumpy New Lemonfools?
No that doesn't sound right.
Grumpy Old Lemonfools. No?
well something like that anyway.
There should be somewhere for the venting of spleen, surely?

yours
still
Grumpi ;-(

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 9th, 2016, 6:55 pm

PinkDalek wrote:the joys of Google were such that the board attracted those in need of advice from outwith TMF

It's possible that TMF paid to appear higher on google searches, seeking to harvest new customers. If so then the question is whether LF seeks to target a broader constituency or, initially, focus on Fools who have migrated here.

Right now the focus appears inward. from what I'm seeing. If and when that changes, then I can see the virtue of a watchdog function for scams.

Fatrav
Lemon Pip

Postby Fatrav » November 9th, 2016, 10:18 pm

Any chance of getting recs back?

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » November 9th, 2016, 10:29 pm

Fatrav wrote:Any chance of getting recs back?

We are working on it but can't give you a timetable.

You say that you want them "back". This is a brand-new website where everything has been created from scratch, in less than a week! So this is all new :)

bitstrange

Postby bitstrange » November 10th, 2016, 12:49 pm

Grumpi wrote:I'm still finding my way about but;
Perhaps the TMF Grumpy Old Fools ex Grumpy Old Men could be reincarnated here as
Grumpy New Lemonfools?
No that doesn't sound right.
Grumpy Old Lemonfools. No?
well something like that anyway.
There should be somewhere for the venting of spleen, surely?

yours
still
Grumpi ;-(

How about Sour Lemons? ;-)

andycowl

Postby andycowl » November 10th, 2016, 12:55 pm

+1 for 'Sour Lemons' :)

mr4096

Postby mr4096 » November 10th, 2016, 6:45 pm

Another request for equivalent to Bert's Investor Sanctuary board,
ideally with the same rules as the TMF board to improve the quality of the conversations.

http://boards.fool.co.uk/board-faq-12433949.aspx

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » November 10th, 2016, 8:59 pm

Newbie poster here. <waves>

Just as a quicky on a few that have been mentioned - in general I like the idea of fewer, busier boards.

I''m not quite sure how Recipes & Cooking meshes with Food & Drink. I'd just rename them "Food" and "Drink". Clean and easy (well - my Dundee cake could probably fit in either, depending on how well it's been fed with whisky...).

I'd oppose splitting out beer and wine - in terms of community there was always a significant overlap of people (but far less with the recipes & cooking) between the two, and there were always odd posts about spirits that never quite fitted on either. It wasn't like they were super busy boards in any case.

In the modern world I'd replace any reference to "Oil & Gas" with "Energy" - OGMT has seen quite a bit of chat about batteries of late and the Renewables board was not the busiest but quite good quality. There were good reasons why OGC and OGMT were split out (and later the Oil Trading Forum) and it does reflect different cultures, but more recent posters haven't always respected the boundaries of OGC. So I'd start with Energy Investing and have the finger hovering over splitting it into Energy Companies and Energy Markets & Trends.

Metals and Mining doesn't quite feel right - one option would be to merge with OGC to form Resources Companies, but I suspect better would be Mining Companies and Commodities - there was an agricultural commodites board on TMF and there's some overlap with eg phosphate mining for fertiliser. Again be prepared to split out the goldbugs if they get tedious, they had their own board on TMF for that reason.

I'd miss Bert's board, but understand if he doesn't want to be associated with it.

Some kind of macroeconomics board would be good.

A replacement for the Communion of Bears and Overvalued Shares boards would be nice and the two could fit together.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » November 10th, 2016, 9:36 pm

Hallucigenia wrote:Newbie poster here. <waves>

Just as a quicky on a few that have been mentioned - in general I like the idea of fewer, busier boards.

I''m not quite sure how Recipes & Cooking meshes with Food & Drink. I'd just rename them "Food" and "Drink". Clean and easy (well - my Dundee cake could probably fit in either, depending on how well it's been fed with whisky...).

I'd oppose splitting out beer and wine - in terms of community there was always a significant overlap of people (but far less with the recipes & cooking) between the two, and there were always odd posts about spirits that never quite fitted on either. It wasn't like they were super busy boards in any case.

Welcome Hallucigenia!
Agree re: Recipes & Cooking / Food & Drink - did mention this and they are having a look I think
Not too sure about a significant overlap between the Beer and Wine boards(other than yourself!) but I don't get on the wine board much so may have not spotted the crosstown traffic. May well work as one board: good point re: whisk(e)y /other spirits.
AC

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » November 12th, 2016, 9:18 am

I've posted a suggestion about a new "Games, Puzzles and Riddles" forum in the "Interests - Culture, Leisure, Food and Nature" area, in viewtopic.php?f=21&t=6&p=4044#p4044 . It seems to me to fit the area's description well, but not that of any of the current forums within it, and it covers the topics of a number of TMF boards - some low-traffic but in regular use such as "Riddles and Brain Teasers", some moribund such as "Chess Board". I suspect at least some of the moribund ones are caught in a vicious cycle of people not even knowing they exist because they get no posts, and getting no posts because people don't know they exist: being part of a more general forum rather than having a forum all to themselves might actually break them out of it.

Gengulphus

Rob625
Lemon Pip

Postby Rob625 » November 12th, 2016, 5:21 pm

Riddles and Brain Teasers (in Fool Cafe)

I think Cinelli has requested this to Clariman in private. I'd like to second the request. It's a rather quiet board, but much loved by a small group of regulars.

GN100
2 Lemon pips

Postby GN100 » November 14th, 2016, 7:26 pm

Being an Ex pat I would like to ask for an International - Expat Investors Board, such as we had on TMF.

Thanks,

GN

TheCornishman

Postby TheCornishman » November 14th, 2016, 10:37 pm

Dear Stooz & Clariman,

Myself and a few friends from The Fool were wondering whether it might be possible to have a new home here?

Our board on TMF was called 'The Cornishman's Foolish Friends' but following a discussion there 'The Boring Investment Green Room' found some support as a replacement. This would effectively be a fundamentally/value focused discussion of the kind of shares that are so dull they tend not to attract much interest on other boards.

As per these posts on TMF ( http://boards.fool.co.uk/thecornishmans ... d=13457158 ) there appear to be about 30 Fools who would appreciate such a board.

Many thanks in advance for your consideration.

Dave

Woodfinch

Postby Woodfinch » November 14th, 2016, 11:45 pm

TheCornishman wrote:Dear Stooz & Clariman,

Myself and a few friends from The Fool were wondering whether it might be possible to have a new home here?

Our board on TMF was called 'The Cornishman's Foolish Friends' but following a discussion there 'The Boring Investment Green Room' found some support as a replacement. This would effectively be a fundamentally/value focused discussion of the kind of shares that are so dull they tend not to attract much interest on other boards..."

The Cornishman's (and WCB's) board was a seriously respected place. Can I second or thirty-first this request please,

Tim

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » November 15th, 2016, 9:17 am

Just a note to say that we will pick up all requests and give them consideration in the next week or so.

Thanks for your continued interest and support.

Clariman

Carcosa
Lemon Slice

Postby Carcosa » November 15th, 2016, 10:14 am

GN100 wrote:Being an Ex pat I would like to ask for an International - Expat Investors Board, such as we had on TMF.

Thanks,

GN

Seconded! We are a small but caring group!

Carcosa

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » November 16th, 2016, 9:43 am

Where does general silliness go?

We had such fun with this board, briefly, on TMF:

http://boards.fool.co.uk/my-lovely-bric ... d=11256482

(it was all very tongue-in-cheek regarding a certain other 'exclusive' board someone [can't recall who, maybe ee?] had sety up just for Fools he liked)

Mel

Bubblesofearth
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bubblesofearth » November 16th, 2016, 10:22 am

Any chance of a 'books' board? There were 2 on TMF but just one would be OK I think.

Could be added to tv etc but a separate board would be better IMO.

BofE

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”