Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

*NEW* Boards and structure being implemented

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
G37y
Lemon Pip

Re: *NEW* Boards and structure being implemented

Postby G37y » November 16th, 2016, 11:42 am

TheCornishman wrote:
Dear Stooz & Clariman,

Myself and a few friends from The Fool were wondering whether it might be possible to have a new home here?

Our board on TMF was called 'The Cornishman's Foolish Friends' but following a discussion there 'The Boring Investment Green Room' found some support as a replacement. This would effectively be a fundamentally/value focused discussion of the kind of shares that are so dull they tend not to attract much interest on other boards..."

I too would be happy if you could find a new home for this board it wasn't the amount of posts it recieved it was the quality of the posts which made it the first board I looked at on TMF.

briggs1209

Postby briggs1209 » November 16th, 2016, 12:05 pm

It would be wonderful to see a board that could continue the sterling work of 'Bert's investor Sanctuary'. It really is one of the most civil places to find good discussion on a wide range of issues

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Postby NomoneyNohoney » November 16th, 2016, 12:27 pm

I'd like to ask for a new "Curiosity Corner" board, the place for posting interesting items, oddities and things of general interest. There doesn't seem to be a quiet corner here yet, where people can just enjoy life's curiosities, so I'd put in a request for that, please.

torata
Lemon Slice

Postby torata » November 16th, 2016, 10:54 pm

Carcosa wrote:
GN100 wrote:Being an Ex pat I would like to ask for an International - Expat Investors Board, such as we had on TMF.

Thanks,

GN

Seconded! We are a small but caring group!

Carcosa

Thirded, an expat board would be very useful

torata

CaledoniaMan

Postby CaledoniaMan » November 23rd, 2016, 2:21 pm

Could we please have a interest board where we can post on things about photography. We had a board on TMF which was reasonably well frequented by a wide range of individuals from semi professional to amateur.

Thanks

penym
Lemon Pip

Postby penym » December 2nd, 2016, 11:39 pm

I did ask in the Biscuit Bar if we could have a Family History Board. I got some good advice when we had a board on TMF and there is a growing interest in genealogical matters.

Anniel( penym)

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » December 4th, 2016, 9:00 am

We'll give these additional boards consideration shortly. Our priority is getting the moderation in place for what we already have. Then we'll move on to board review.

Moderation volunteers are all in place but we need to do the administration to set them up and write the moderation guidance.

Thanks for your patience.

Clariman

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » December 4th, 2016, 6:34 pm

Clariman wrote: Our priority is getting the moderation in place for what we already have. Then we'll move on to board review.

Moderation volunteers are all in place but we need to do the administration to set them up and write the moderation guidance.

Will you be publishing the written moderation guidance here before implementation, to solicit feedback, suggestions and improvements?

If not, will you be publishing them upon implementation? Or will only the posting rules, (icon) above, be available for reference?

A point about one of the posting rules. You say that a URL should always be provided when quoting someone or something. That isn't always possible since not everything that is quotable has its original source on the internet. Presumably therefore in such situations it is sufficient to merely credit the source. So perhaps the rule should say that the URL should also be provided, if relevant and possible?

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » December 4th, 2016, 7:04 pm

Lootman wrote:Will you be publishing the written moderation guidance here before implementation, to solicit feedback, suggestions and improvements?

No
If not, will you be publishing them upon implementation? Or will only the posting rules, (icon) above, be available for reference?

The posting rules are what govern users of the site and the moderator's role will be to ensure that they are upheld. The moderation guidance document will provide some help and advice for the moderation team, rather than for public consumption.

A point about one of the posting rules. You say that a URL should always be provided when quoting someone or something. That isn't always possible since not everything that is quotable has its original source on the internet. Presumably therefore in such situations it is sufficient to merely credit the source. So perhaps the rule should say that the URL should also be provided, if relevant and possible?

If there is an Internet URL available, then use it. If there is not, then yes it would be fine to credit it. Irrespective of what the original source is, large slabs of text should not be quoted from hit here. Ideally I would like to see people putting any small extract quoted in italics or using the quote tool.

compscidude
Lemon Pip

Postby compscidude » December 9th, 2016, 10:11 pm

Hello everyone,

One thing that I think might be missing is a 'stockmarket state' board.

There are boards to discuss the general condition of the property market and the bond market, but not the stock market. Note that establishing the facts and influences on the market each day/week/month/year is different to 'strategy of investing' and different to sector-based discussion.

This type of discussion was previously spread across several boards at various points in time: Economic Markets and Trends, Communion of Bears, Communion of Bulls, Paulypilot Macro Discussion, Bert's investor's sanctuary

comp

compscidude
Lemon Pip

Postby compscidude » December 11th, 2016, 3:30 am

To follow from the previous post: I note that dem has started a thread on the 'trading your way to a million' board that is also about creating a macro markets board.

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » December 11th, 2016, 3:06 pm

Clariman wrote:[*]International ExPat investors - Topic under Investment Strategy?
Clariman

Just for the record, I've created the topic as suggested. Thanks for all the suggestions re: other boards. I hope others with 5 mins will ensure their 'minor yet useful' boards find a home here, albeit in the form of a topic as a starting point.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » December 11th, 2016, 10:53 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:I hope others with 5 mins will ensure their 'minor yet useful' boards find a home here, albeit in the form of a topic as a starting point.

I really don't understand why folks wanting these "minority interest" boards shouldn't just have their own boards for their interest. As long as there is a genuine demand (no matter if small) and it fits into the general ethos of the site then it should be fine.

Far better that then misfitting them as single topics into boards that they have no relevance to.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » December 12th, 2016, 12:00 am

mc2fool wrote:
DiamondEcho wrote:I hope others with 5 mins will ensure their 'minor yet useful' boards find a home here, albeit in the form of a topic as a starting point.

I really don't understand why folks wanting these "minority interest" boards shouldn't just have their own boards for their interest. As long as there is a genuine demand (no matter if small) and it fits into the general ethos of the site then it should be fine.

I think the point of doing them as a 'starting point' topic is to demonstrate that there is genuine demand - i.e. that discussion will actually take place, rather than just that someone thinks it would be a good idea to have a place where discussion can take place. Too many of the latter just clutters thing up and makes other boards harder to locate - and the best way to avoid getting too many of something is to try to avoid having it at all!

mc2fool wrote:Far better that then misfitting them as single topics into boards that they have no relevance to.

To deal with that, maybe have a "Proving Ground" forum? I.e. a forum where anyone who wants to demonstrate genuine demand for a forum about a particular subject starts up a topic on that subject to see whether sustained discussion happens? That way, such topics aren't misfitted elsewhere - and by definition they're not misfits in the "Proving Ground".

It would probably need to be a rule that the topic's subject must be a general description of the subject for the potential forum, not of the particular thing being discussed. E.g. "Riddles, Puzzles and Games" would be suitable; "How to solve Rubik's Cube" would not.

Gengulphus

Offshorerebates

Postby Offshorerebates » December 15th, 2016, 6:16 pm

Hi

Having just logged into TMF to wish everyone a merry Christmas I was a bit shocked to find the expat board closed.

So, Merry Christmas to everyone here and is there or will there be an expat board here as I haven't yet found one? I managed over the years since 1999 to assist a few people on TMF so am happy to do so here if I can. Must admit to getting bored with the "Should I invest in this life company offshore pension plan?" type questions tho so stopped answering them. The answer is still no because you will later be sorry you did. Much better options exist.

Best regards

Geoff

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » December 15th, 2016, 6:32 pm

Offshorerebates wrote:Having just logged into TMF to wish everyone a merry Christmas I was a bit shocked to find the expat board closed.

So, Merry Christmas to everyone here and is there or will there be an expat board here as I haven't yet found one? ...

Good to see you made it over.

At the moment there is no separate expat board but a "Topic" has been opened at "Investment Strategies", entitled:

International ExPat investors [topic in lieu of it's own board]

If you announce yourself on that Topic, you should receive notifications (top right) if further replies are added.

Offshorerebates

Postby Offshorerebates » December 15th, 2016, 11:47 pm

I'd like to see an Expat board too please

torata wrote:
Carcosa wrote:
GN100 wrote:Being an Ex pat I would like to ask for an International - Expat Investors Board, such as we had on TMF.

Thanks,

GN

Seconded! We are a small but caring group!

Carcosa

Thirded, an expat board would be very useful

torata

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » December 16th, 2016, 11:37 am

I expect that if the International International ExPat investors - topic, in the Investment Strategy section gets enough volume then the need for a separate sub-forum will become evident. Meanwhile, that's^ where the expat investors can be found.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » December 16th, 2016, 4:33 pm

Moderator Message:
Locking this topic, having reviewed it again. We are in the process of finalising an enhanced board structure

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”