Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

List of recent posts?

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

List of recent posts?

Postby Clitheroekid » January 9th, 2017, 11:44 pm

It's very gratifying to see the number of new members and new posts, but it's also making it increasingly time-consuming to keep up to date. At present I tend to visit those boards in which I have some interest, see if there are any new posts today and then decide whether to have a look at them. However, this is becoming quite a long winded and cumbersome exercise.

It would therefore be useful to have a list of all posts that have been made since I last visited. I could then just scan down the list in a few seconds, see what each post was about and (just as important) who wrote it, and decide which ones I wanted to read by going straight to them.

It may be that such a list already exists, in which case I'd be grateful if some kind soul would point me towards it.

If it doesn't, would it be a complicated exercise to produce one?

poundcoin
Lemon Slice

Re: List of recent posts?

Postby poundcoin » January 9th, 2017, 11:56 pm

Just click on the 3 lines to the left of the FAQ icon top left of page and select "new posts" .

supremetwo
Lemon Quarter

Postby supremetwo » January 10th, 2017, 12:25 am

I have these as bookmarks:-

http://www.lemonfool.co.uk/search.php?search_id=newposts

The page below also has a 'Mark all read' link so once you have read all the ones you are interested in, you can click that and all new ones will appear.

http://www.lemonfool.co.uk/search.php?search_id=unreadposts

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » January 10th, 2017, 12:48 am

Many thanks all, most helpful.

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » January 10th, 2017, 2:20 pm

poundcoin wrote:Just click on the 3 lines to the left of the FAQ icon top left of page and select "new posts" .

I'd second this as the easiest option.

I've tried several ways and find this by far the quickest and easiest way of keeping up to date.

It's quick and easy to skip past any posts you don't want to look at as the board name is quoted for each post.

Each time I find a post, or sequence of posts I want, I read them, contribute to them or whatever, then press the back button until I'm at the new post list again. There are usually only two or three pages of posts to scan through, and once at the end, I click the "Mark all posts read" link top right of the list of new posts, which clears them all ready for my next visit.

Staffordian

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » January 10th, 2017, 4:02 pm

poundcoin wrote:Just click on the 3 lines to the left of the FAQ icon top left of page and select "new posts" .

Yes, that is what I do. It means that I don't really have to navigate the boards at all - I just scan the new posts for anything that interests me. At this point, the board structure is irrelevant for the way I am using TLF.

It may get to the point where there are too many new posts to reasonably scan, but we're not there yet. It does mean that I log out and log back in, rather than just leave a window open, in order to get a new and smaller list of new posts each time I return here.

Another advantage is that I find interesting discussions that I would otherwise miss if it wasn't on one of my "favourite" boards.

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » January 10th, 2017, 4:57 pm

Lootman wrote: At this point, the board structure is irrelevant for the way I am using TLF.

That's something you find after a while with bulletin board software. Structure of boards is only of relevance if starting a new topic or if checking how off topic a potential reply might be.

CryptoPlankton
Lemon Slice

Postby CryptoPlankton » January 10th, 2017, 6:48 pm

staffordian wrote:

I'd second this as the easiest option.

I've tried several ways and find this by far the quickest and easiest way of keeping up to date.

It's quick and easy to skip past any posts you don't want to look at as the board name is quoted for each post.

Each time I find a post, or sequence of posts I want, I read them, contribute to them or whatever, then press the back button until I'm at the new post list again. There are usually only two or three pages of posts to scan through, and once at the end, I click the "Mark all posts read" link top right of the list of new posts, which clears them all ready for my next visit.

Staffordian

In the absence of a BoB, it looks like a good way of quickly scanning for posts of interest outside my subscribed forums, but the highlighted option doesn't appear to be available on my "new posts" screen?

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » January 10th, 2017, 7:11 pm

CryptoPlankton wrote:In the absence of a BoB, it looks like a good way of quickly scanning for posts of interest outside my subscribed forums, but the highlighted option doesn't appear to be available on my "new posts" screen?

Mr. Read is available on search.php?search_id=unreadposts but not on search.php?search_id=newposts

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » January 10th, 2017, 7:19 pm

PinkDalek wrote:
CryptoPlankton wrote:In the absence of a BoB, it looks like a good way of quickly scanning for posts of interest outside my subscribed forums, but the highlighted option doesn't appear to be available on my "new posts" screen?

Mr. Read is available on search.php?search_id=unreadposts but not on search.php?search_id=newposts

Yes, apologies for the confusion. Mr Mark Read does seem to get everywhere, but the new post list appears to be the exception. I did mean top of the unread post list.

Staffordian

CryptoPlankton
Lemon Slice

Postby CryptoPlankton » January 11th, 2017, 1:03 pm

Thanks for the clarification - a subtle difference between the two options!

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”