Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Upgrading phpBB 3.1.10 to 3.2

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
wickham
Lemon Slice

Upgrading phpBB 3.1.10 to 3.2

Postby wickham » January 11th, 2017, 8:12 am

Has this forum been upgraded to v 3.2 yet?

There always seem to be difficulties so any feed back for people like me who have to upgrade another forum would be useful.

There are various methods to upgrade, the auto method (not recommended by the phpBB helpers), changing nearly everything, downloading just the changed files and changing just them, and various other methods.

Thanks

stooz
Site Admin

Re: Upgrading phpBB 3.1.10 to 3.2

Postby stooz » January 12th, 2017, 7:03 pm

No. As I gather 3.2 is not production ready yet.
Also many of the extensions are not compatible yet

wickham
Lemon Slice

Postby wickham » January 12th, 2017, 9:11 pm

phpBB 3.2 has now been released, https://www.phpbb.com/downloads/?sid=2c ... 91aec35d31 and there have been hundreds of forum administrators that have run into trouble and asked for help, see https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewforum.php?f=556 so I am going to wait a while before upgrading my forums.

mariareese

Postby mariareese » March 2nd, 2017, 11:53 am

I think its not updated .. :(

wickham
Lemon Slice

Postby wickham » March 3rd, 2017, 7:13 am

Version 3.2 is a major change and caused problems for some of the members on my forum who are elderly or not IT savvy. Icons for buttons are no longer coded the same way. I'm not a techie. I taught myself simple website coding fifteen years ago so I could understand most of the coding in earlier versions of phpBB. The problem now has been that browsers needed to clear all the old version files from cache and download all the new ones because of the way images are coded has fundamentally changed and many members had never done that and didn't know how to do it. They saw large popup windows with text all over the display instead of tiny buttons.

The old versions of phpBB used composite images (sprites) as background images for most buttons. The main file combined 34 small icons or buttons in one composite image of only 7.85 KB and simple coding of perhaps twenty characters displayed only part of the composite background image at any position so that only one button of the 34 showed. Simple.

The new version of phpBB (the standard files coded by phpBB, not the style we use which was coded by someone else and is superimposed onto the standard phpBB coding) has made the button display much more complicated. They have to be downloaded from an external website called font-awesome http://fontawesome.io/icons/ into our server, and then downloaded by the member. Using CSS. Copy the entire font-awesome directory into your project. (675 icons). In addition to the simple positioning code there is an additional file called font-awesome.min.css with perhaps 1000 characters and another six files all required to process the background images.

That's progress, isn't it. There's probably a good reason why it's been made more complex, but I don't know what it is. One reason may be security as the images are now in eot, woff and other formats. If you open one of these files, it's all funny symbols, so you can't actually see the image from the file and copy it (though I suppose you can use print screen for a bad copy from the web page). If members have a very old browser it won't process the new formats.

mariareese

Postby mariareese » August 14th, 2017, 12:23 pm

hmm,.. absolutely right .. :(

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”