Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

ad blocker pop up thing

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
NotSure
Lemon Slice

Re: ad blocker pop up thing

Postby NotSure » August 16th, 2023, 7:21 pm

Chrome, W10, AdBlock(this one: https://getadblock.com/en/).

I have not yet had a single pop up?

I do subscribe, but not sure if that has expired yet.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » August 16th, 2023, 7:53 pm

NotSure wrote:Chrome, W10, AdBlock(this one: https://getadblock.com/en/).
I have not yet had a single pop up?

You can have my popups then, as it has awoken somewhat, three in the last minute. I do have an adblocker but I have allowed this site, so in in practice I don't have one.
A stupid popup then.

V8

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » August 16th, 2023, 8:32 pm

Came so close as a 60+ male with no kids, to clicking on an ad for a baby stroller :D :D

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » August 16th, 2023, 9:23 pm

pje16 wrote:i never look at ads on websites or TV
As i said i would never click on them anyway

off to another forum now that doesn't use the blocker

Tease.

What other forum genuinely competes with TLF?

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » August 17th, 2023, 3:55 am

Mike4 wrote:
pje16 wrote:i never look at ads on websites or TV
As i said i would never click on them anyway

off to another forum now that doesn't use the blocker

Tease.

ok ,but show me another site where 80% of the screen is taken up by advertising , it is SO over the top

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » August 17th, 2023, 5:46 am

There's clearly odd things going on with different people's browser configurations since the recent change to the cookie-consent form has occurred, as I've not been unduly affected at all and it's not quite clear why that's the case.

I'm running Firefox on Windows 10, with Firefox set to 'Standard' browser privacy and 'Do Not Track' set to 'Always', and with Firefox itself also set to 'Block pop-up windows', and set to delete all cookies when my Firefox session is closed down.

On top of the above, I'm also running AdBlockPlus in Firefox, with settings unchanged from it's default install.

I do not pay Lemon Fool for advert-removal.

With the above set-up, I see one single cookie-consent form when I first log-on to Lemon Fool, and I choose the 'Do Not Consent' option on that new-look form, and from that point forward the site works completely as I'd expect it to, with no further pop-ups seen at all, and with no adverts visible, just as things have been for as long as I can remember.

I'm not sure if any of the above might help anyone who's clearly seeing much poorer results in recent days with further annoying pop-ups, but I hope there's something in there that might help trigger a change in what sounds like a poor experience for some users when now visiting the site.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » August 17th, 2023, 8:02 am

Itsallaguess wrote:‎There's clearly odd things going on with different people's browser configurations since the recent change to the cookie-consent form has occurred, as I've not been unduly affected at all and it's not quite clear why that's the case.

Indeed. I'm running Firefox on Windows 10, set to 'Standard' browser privacy and to 'Block pop-up windows', and I also don't pay for ad removal, but I do have the I don't care about cookies add on installed, so I wasn't even aware that there was a new cookie consent form.

I also use a HOSTS file to block ads and trackers, and I haven't seen this ad blocker pop up thing that folks are talking about at all, and I still don't if I turn either/both of those off and refetch the site. I then get the new consent form and, rather curiously, a large-ish empty space at the top and bottom of each page where ads should be (normally for me there's no ads and no space there at all), but that's it.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » August 17th, 2023, 8:27 am

I'm running I don't care about cookies as well.
So I've just switched it off as well as uBO ad blocker, and I got the new cookie consent form which I agreed to - I'm now served ads.

Had a look in site settings and there are LF and Google cookies there now, the latter I suspect is what is causing the pop up warning to turn off ad blockers for others but I'm still not seeing it.

Maybe try deleting the site specific Google cookies and if you get a new cookie consent form deny them - see what happens.
By default I always have third party cookies blocked anyway unless it's a logged in site that needs them to function correctly in which case they get allowed on that site only.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » August 17th, 2023, 9:28 am

pje16 wrote:
ok ,but show me another site where 80% of the screen is taken up by advertising , it is SO over the top

walesonline ! Its impossible to read anything!

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » August 17th, 2023, 11:14 am

Infrasonic wrote:I'm running I don't care about cookies as well.
So I've just switched it off as well as uBO ad blocker, and I got the new cookie consent form which I agreed to - I'm now served ads.

If I decline the consent form then I don't get ads.

Is that the intent here?

NotSure
Lemon Slice

Postby NotSure » August 17th, 2023, 11:24 am

pje16 wrote:
Mike4 wrote:
Tease.

Sounds awful!

I've been using this for quite a while now and have found it to be exceedingly good (it's free, but I PayPal them a small amount each month out of gratitude). I do not even get ads on YouTube, either during the videos or anywhere else on the webpage. (YMMV)

After installation is seems to spend a short period "learning" what to suppress. I could not imagine using Internet without it nowadays. It can be switched off on selected sites if you wish to support them. I have it switched on for lemonfool but subscribe anyway.

https://getadblock.com/en/

Ricksure
Lemon Pip

Postby Ricksure » August 21st, 2023, 11:35 am

Firefox is stopping me from accessing the Lemonfool ....

Warning: Potential Security Risk Ahead

Firefox detected a potential security threat and did not continue to http://www.lemonfool.co.uk. If you visit this site, attackers could try to steal information like your passwords, emails, or credit card details.

What can you do about it?

The issue is most likely with the web site, and there is nothing you can do to resolve it. You can notify the web site’s administrator about the problem.

Learn more…

Web sites prove their identity via certificates. Firefox does not trust this site because it uses a certificate that is not valid for http://www.lemonfool.co.uk. The certificate is only valid for the following names: *.sucuri.net, sucuri.net

Error code: SSL_ERROR_BAD_CERT_DOMAIN

View Certificate

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » August 21st, 2023, 12:26 pm

Ricksure wrote:Firefox is stopping me from accessing the Lemonfool ....

Firefox detected a potential security threat and did not continue to http://www.lemonfool.co.uk. If you visit this site, attackers could try to steal information like your passwords, emails, or credit card details.

The issue is most likely with the web site, and there is nothing you can do to resolve it. You can notify the web site’s administrator about the problem.

Learn more…

Web sites prove their identity via certificates. Firefox does not trust this site because it uses a certificate that is not valid for http://www.lemonfool.co.uk. The certificate is only valid for the following names: *.sucuri.net, sucuri.net

View Certificate

I have not had this problem at all using Firefox. It looks as if Itsallaguess has provided the reason and a fix:

viewtopic.php?p=610126#p610126

Just thought I'd add a note here to suggest that anyone who might have altered their local PC HOSTS file to cope with the site-slowness issue that was affecting Lemon Fool back in December is likely not to be seeing any browser issues regarding this recent change to SSL certification, because the current SSL issue is picked up during DNS resolution, which was potentially bypassed by anyone using the HOSTS file trick to fix to the earlier DNS-related slowness problem back in December...

I had edited my HOSTS file last December. Just now I removed the edit to the HOSTS file and got the problem you describe. I then added the edit again, restarted Firefox and then the problem disappeared. So you should find the HOSTS file edit will remove the problem, by adding the line:

Code: Select all

91.146.105.202 www.lemonfool.co.uk

A link to editing the HOSTS file for different operating systems:

https://www.hostinger.co.uk/tutorials/how-to-edit-hosts-file

You may have to clear your browser cache after editing the HOSTS file, although I found just restarting FF was sufficient.

The SSL certificate problem seems to be browser or browser settings specific, I just tried Edge on Win10 and it worked without the error.

As Itsallaguess suggests, it may be worth removing the edit when the issue has been resolved.

RC

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » August 21st, 2023, 1:02 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:
Ricksure wrote:Firefox is stopping me from accessing the Lemonfool ....

Learn more…

View Certificate

I have not had this problem at all using Firefox. It looks as if Itsallaguess has provided the reason and a fix:

Just thought I'd add a note here to suggest that anyone who might have altered their local PC HOSTS file to cope with the site-slowness issue that was affecting Lemon Fool back in December is likely not to be seeing any browser issues regarding this recent change to SSL certification, because the current SSL issue is picked up during DNS resolution, which was potentially bypassed by anyone using the HOSTS file trick to fix to the earlier DNS-related slowness problem back in December...

I had edited my HOSTS file last December. Just now I removed the edit to the HOSTS file and got the problem you describe. I then added the edit again, restarted Firefox and then the problem disappeared. So you should find the HOSTS file edit will remove the problem, by adding the line:

You may have to clear your browser cache after editing the HOSTS file, although I found just restarting FF was sufficient.

The SSL certificate problem seems to be browser or browser settings specific, I just tried Edge on Win10 and it worked without the error.

As Itsallaguess suggests, it may be worth removing the edit when the issue has been resolved.

RC

But I still get the certificate error on both edge under windows 10 on a laptop and google on my phone.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » August 21st, 2023, 1:07 pm

daveh wrote:
ReformedCharacter wrote:I have not had this problem at all using Firefox. It looks as if Itsallaguess has provided the reason and a fix:

RC

But I still get the certificate error on both edge under windows 10 on a laptop and google on my phone.

I don't know anything about phones. Have you tried closing any open TLF tabs, clearing the Edge cache, closing Edge and then rebooting the laptop?

RC

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » August 21st, 2023, 2:39 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:Perhaps I've made a mistake or the IP address of TLF has changed, I'm pretty sure it was 91.146.105.202 but now it appears to be 192.124.249.153 :?

Actually both IPs work to get you to the site, and the error is not to do with any entries being in the HOSTS file, per se.

If you stick 192.124.249.153 http://www.lemonfool.co.uk into the HOSTS file you get the error.

So, it's simply that going to 192.124.249.153 for TLF gets the error and going to 91.146.105.202 doesn't. I assume that's 'cos the certificate is tied to 91.146.105.202 but for some reason the DNS entries for the site now refer to 192.124.249.153...

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » August 21st, 2023, 3:18 pm

mc2fool wrote:If you stick 192.124.249.153 http://www.lemonfool.co.uk into the HOSTS file you get the error.

Just spotted that phpBB added the "http://" at the front of that. I, of course, meant: 92.124.249.153 www.lemonfool.co.uk

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » August 21st, 2023, 4:29 pm

WARNING!

XFool wrote:It looks to me that 91.146.105.202 was the old Lemon Fool site (elara.servers.prgn.nisp.co.uk) and 192.124.249.153 now returned by DNS, that is the new Lemon Fool site (cloudproxy10153.securi.net) - along with all the current problems.

Oops! Do not under any circumstances put that cloudproxy site directly into your browser. I did - ALL HELL BROKE OUT.

I've never seen anything like it (Audio warnings, Flashing warnings, Pop all over the place warnings, "Do not switch off your PC" warnings, "Windows Defender" warnings, "Microsoft" Warnings, "Trojan detected" warnings, "Your PC has been disabled" warnings...)

I am mindful it could all be some sort of elaborate, fake "Do Not Enter Here!" trick. However...

stooz
Site Admin

Postby stooz » August 21st, 2023, 6:00 pm

Hi

We have been enforced to take more google based changes to ad displays,
so we have changed the cookie tools to suit.

In testing we see a few placed ads, and the occassional "displayed on top" item.
We also dont get numerous repeats beside the 1st and only visit (by switching to incognito)

If you are getting 80% of the screen covered in ads, please can you send me some screen grabs? The code auto places them, and in the next update the aim is for fixed placements instead.
as for the blocker notes - again We only see one. So this may be a localised product.
Try clearing your cache and cookies for this site and try again.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » August 21st, 2023, 6:03 pm

Just tried to reply to a post on another TLF board:

Access Denied - Website Firewall
If you are the site owner (or you manage this site), please whitelist your IP or if you think this block is an error please open a support ticket and make sure to include the block details (displayed in the box below), so we can assist you in troubleshooting the issue.

Block details:
Your IP: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
URL: http://www.lemonfool.co.uk/posting.php? ... 98&t=40218
Your Browser: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/109.0.0.0 Safari/537.36 Edg/109.0.1518.115
Block ID: EXPVH11
Block reason: Exploit attempt denied by virtual hardening.
Time: 2023-08-21 13:00:39
Server ID: 13003

The "Exploit attempt" must be triggered by TLF BBCode editing tags, AFAICS.

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”