Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Juddery pages

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
mc2fool
Lemon Half

Juddery pages

Postby mc2fool » September 8th, 2023, 1:32 pm

Something I've noticed recently on TLF is what I can only describe as juddery pages. Watching carefully what seems to be happening is that on clicking a red topic icon it displays the topic page from the top and then quickly replaces it with the page at the first unread post, and it happens quickly but slowly enough that there's a visual "judder".

It's most noticeable with Firefox but also happens under Chrome, Opera and Edge. I'd not noticed it before so I'm just wondering if something changed or slowed down enough on the site for it to either start happening or at least start noticeably happening.

Edit: P.S. I've found an additional annoyance with Firefox (only) in that I read TLF at 110% and, as of some recent update (I'm on v117.0) it seems to paint the page at 100% first and then repaint it at 110%. :(

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Juddery pages

Postby bungeejumper » September 9th, 2023, 10:15 am

Adblocker causing the pages to load twice - once with the ads and then immediately without?

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » September 9th, 2023, 10:36 am

bungeejumper wrote:Adblocker causing the pages to load twice - once with the ads and then immediately without?

Nope. I don't have an ad blocker (at least, not a browser based on that might do that; I use a HOSTS file instead.)

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » September 9th, 2023, 3:03 pm

mc2fool wrote:Something I've noticed recently on TLF is what I can only describe as juddery pages. Watching carefully what seems to be happening is that on clicking a red topic icon it displays the topic page from the top and then quickly replaces it with the page at the first unread post, and it happens quickly but slowly enough that there's a visual "judder".

Don't generally use the red button, but trying it now ... Firefox... what I see is that it loads then as you say jumps down to the first unread post.

Wouldn't personally describe it as a judder, perhaps it depends on one's web speed.. not that ours is anything special... or maybe your eyes have an unusually high refresh rate.

V8

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » September 9th, 2023, 3:12 pm

bungeejumper wrote:Adblocker causing the pages to load twice - once with the ads and then immediately without?

I do not use an Adblocker and I do get the "judder" thing on a few sites, as the page loads and then a second later the ad, causing the page text to move down. Sometimes I click on the ad by mistake because of that, which is annoying.

However, that has never happened to me on TLF.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » September 9th, 2023, 3:42 pm

88V8 wrote:
mc2fool wrote:Something I've noticed recently on TLF is what I can only describe as juddery pages. Watching carefully what seems to be happening is that on clicking a red topic icon it displays the topic page from the top and then quickly replaces it with the page at the first unread post, and it happens quickly but slowly enough that there's a visual "judder".

Don't generally use the red button, but trying it now ... Firefox... what I see is that it loads then as you say jumps down to the first unread post.

Wouldn't personally describe it as a judder, perhaps it depends on one's web speed.. not that ours is anything special... or maybe your eyes have an unusually high refresh rate.

V8

LOL, I dunno about my personal visual refresh rate! It's just that I hadn't noticed the load-then-jump behaviour before, and possibly it was happening before but so fast I never observed it, or possibly it's an artefact of a recent Firefox update (I'm on v117.0, 64-bit), or possibly it's something to do with the recent site upgrades. Dunno, but I am at least reassured that you're seeing it too, so I know it's not "just me".... :)

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”