Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Yawn, triple yawn, plus another yawn.

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
richfool
Lemon Quarter

Yawn, triple yawn, plus another yawn.

Postby richfool » May 30th, 2024, 6:26 pm

Well, we now have multiple threads: "Election Predictions", - seemingly a separate one for each political party, (so far 4, plus a bonus one for the Ffybes family). Though not one for the Green's yet! (I just hope Screaming Lord Such won't be standing!!)

As if we don't get enough of it all thrown at us on the TV and other news media.

Shame. This used to be an investment focussed board.

Regrettably it's the last straw for me. The law of diminishing returns has reached the point whereby I shall be following Dodds to somewhere where they discuss investments matters.

Thanks all, for the investment input over the years.

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Re: Yawn, triple yawn, plus another yawn.

Postby MrFoolish » May 30th, 2024, 6:42 pm

This never was a purely investment focused site. I don't know how many times this has to be pointed out. Yawn indeed.

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » May 30th, 2024, 6:57 pm

Lord Sutch died over 20 years ago - maybe you should have read some of the political threads?

T7

Dicky99
Lemon Slice

Postby Dicky99 » May 30th, 2024, 6:58 pm

I see this board as being useful for all sorts of discussion by participants who share a common interest in investing.

Surely it's possible to subscribe to a number of boards and take from them what suits you and ignore the rest?

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » May 30th, 2024, 8:11 pm

richfool wrote:Well, we now have multiple threads: "Election Predictions", - seemingly a separate one for each political party, (so far 4, plus a bonus one for the Ffybes family). Though not one for the Green's yet! (I just hope Screaming Lord Such won't be standing!!)

As if we don't get enough of it all thrown at us on the TV and other news media.

Regrettably it's the last straw for me. The law of diminishing returns has reached the point whereby I shall be following Dodds to somewhere where they discuss investments matters.

There is no need to announce to everyone that you're leaving.

Just quietly stop posting if it troubles you that much!

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » May 30th, 2024, 9:19 pm

richfool wrote:Regrettably it's the last straw for me. The law of diminishing returns has reached the point whereby I shall be following Dodds to somewhere where they discuss investments matters.

'Bye.

close the door on your way out.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » May 31st, 2024, 9:38 am

Mike4 wrote:
richfool wrote:Well, we now have multiple threads: "Election Predictions", - seemingly a separate one for each political party, (so far 4, plus a bonus one for the Ffybes family). Though not one for the Green's yet! (I just hope Screaming Lord Such won't be standing!!)

There is no need to announce to everyone that you're leaving.

Just quietly stop posting if it troubles you that much!

Mike, you and some others may not be interested, but I felt I owed it to others who may be interested and particularly to the owners/admin who run the site and who may wish to know why some long term posters are leaving and the politics (pun intended) of the situation.

Yes, I'll shut the door quietly.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » May 31st, 2024, 10:20 am

richfool wrote:Mike, you and some others may not be interested, but I felt I owed it to others who may be interested and particularly to the owners/admin who run the site and who may wish to know why some long term posters are leaving and the politics (pun intended) of the situation.

Yes, I'll shut the door quietly.

I thought you'd left?

Hey ho. You tease.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » May 31st, 2024, 10:23 am

If you're only interested in investment topics, don't read the non-investment boards.

Sorry for such a simple answer.

Scott.

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » May 31st, 2024, 10:30 am

Given the title, I thought this thread was about the very poor latency of loading the LF pages these days. Is it only hideously slow for me? Reminds me of using a 56k dial up modem!

However, whilst I completely agree with the OP and have zero interest in what anyone thinks about politics, it is easy enough to ignore. Tbh if you ignore discussion of high yielding shares and collective investments there has always been very little worthwhile discussion of individual shares on this site. The whole original ethos of TMF left the building many years ago.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » May 31st, 2024, 12:40 pm

simoan wrote:Tbh if you ignore discussion of high yielding shares and collective investments there has always been very little worthwhile discussion of individual shares on this site. The whole original ethos of TMF left the building many years ago.
Trouble is you can't make people post stuff. You can only provide a forum and hope that they do so. It's not as if there are paid staff to provide desired content. C.

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » May 31st, 2024, 12:51 pm

csearle wrote:
simoan wrote:Tbh if you ignore discussion of high yielding shares and collective investments there has always been very little worthwhile discussion of individual shares on this site. The whole original ethos of TMF left the building many years ago.
Trouble is you can't make people post stuff. You can only provide a forum and hope that they do so. It's not as if there are paid staff to provide desired content. C.

Of course not and I never implied such. I'm an "it is what it is" type person. Not much has changed as far as I can see. What started out as an investment site has now just become Mumsnet for old people.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » May 31st, 2024, 1:03 pm

What started out as an investment site has now just become Mumsnet for old people.
Rude.

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » May 31st, 2024, 2:29 pm

csearle wrote:
What started out as an investment site has now just become Mumsnet for old people.
Rude.

But true.

the0ni0nking
Lemon Slice

Postby the0ni0nking » May 31st, 2024, 3:37 pm

Maybe we need a poll to establish the youngest person here!

But as a starter for 10, I’m 44, white, probably deemed middle class and am a chartered accountant.

Maybe if I used that as my introduction on Tinder, I might not still be single!

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » May 31st, 2024, 3:44 pm

the0ni0nking wrote:Maybe we need a poll to establish the youngest person here!

But as a starter for 10, I’m 44, white, probably deemed middle class and am a chartered accountant.

So... what is your Tinder introduction?

If it's not working for you, perhaps we can help?

Watis

Dicky99
Lemon Slice

Postby Dicky99 » May 31st, 2024, 7:50 pm

the0ni0nking wrote:Maybe we need a poll to establish the youngest person here!

Or Grinder ;)

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » May 31st, 2024, 7:55 pm

simoan wrote:Given the title, I thought this thread was about the very poor latency of loading the LF pages these days. Is it only hideously slow for me? Reminds me of using a 56k dial up modem!

Tbh if you ignore discussion of high yielding shares and collective investments there has always been very little worthwhile discussion of individual shares on this site.

Yes, it has become slow. Not all the time, but often. Now for instance.

As an income investor, I feel well served by the Lemon, but I do take your point about individual shares.
Individual share discussion is encouraged by individual share boards, such as on LSE or ADVFN. But there what passes for discussion is often moaning about 'shorters', and daytraders and chartists. Little that I would regard as useful.

Share discussion needs a goodly number of people who are interested in a given share.
A critical mass. Not sure the Lemon ever had that.

V8

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » June 1st, 2024, 9:35 am

richfool wrote:

So what would you like to discuss then ? Humour us.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » June 1st, 2024, 10:38 am

csearle wrote:

Agreed. It is a shame though that a number of long time site users and contributors are no longer as engaged as they were - or not here at all. The whole community is poorer off as a result, and that negative feedback loop worsens you could argue.

Change is inevitable over time, but the "owners" and community as a whole could perhaps be asking why that is happening. Both of my employers found a lot of use in "exit interviews" and genuinely listened, and hopefully learned (and changed) as a result.

Obviously this site at both ownership and participation level is volunteer lead, unlike businesses which are predominantly financially driven, so the incentives for it to be "right" are different and less pressing. If the evidence was obviously there that the site was thriving and growing it might be less concerning, but that's not obvious, at least to me, and this "place" feels less of a community, and knowledge base to share, than it was (and TMF before it). Its difficult to know what the difference would be if that initial (and current) "Shares, Investment and Personal Finance Discussion Forums" was more closely followed.

It takes a minimum of 2 to have a discussion, but generally the posts I make, and boards I most often frequented, don't have that engagement any more (or worse) and as a consequence my contributions have diminished in quantity (and if I am allowed to say it quality too). That's sad as a direction for me, but again, collectively that diminishing in enjoyment and knowledge affects the whole community. When that is reflected across other (senior) members too, it can't be healthy for this place generally either.

Sorry to see you (and others) go. Sorry to see the dismissive and negative attitudes of those "sending you on your way" too. But that's people.

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”