Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh, for Donating to support the site

Requests for specific Motley Fool UK boards to be added

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
penym
Lemon Pip

Re: Requests for specific Motley Fool UK boards to be added

Postby penym » November 8th, 2016, 11:21 am

PinkDalek wrote:
Anniel wrote:Can I request that the Apple Group be given a home on the Lemon Fool. Many of us use this board and it is not contraversial!

Anniel

Hi penym,

At the moment they are thinking about how many new Forums to open but do have "Computers & Phones" available here:

http://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=39

PD

You will know PD that I am not that good at the technicalities! Anyway, thanks for the heads up about the Computer and Phones Board. I think that the Computer board will be well used if we go by HWTBC on TMF and I think a separate Apple Board would be a good idea, but I do know that Rome was not built in a day..so I will wait. Good to see you here and i was registered as Anniel here so penym is now a defunct name.

Anniel

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » November 8th, 2016, 11:24 am

stooz wrote:Apologies if some of you hope for a faster response but I have a new born baby in the family, which is surprisingly time consuming for someone that sleeps all day.

I shall be looking at the boards changes tonight

Hi stooz,

I see you've managed to come through last night unscathed, which is good, so would this morning be the time to ask if you are able to consider opening a forum for "Taxes - practical issues" which has been mentioned previously?

Possibly in the same forum as "Legal Issues", namely "Helpful Fools" (although possibly under "Managing your Finances").

PD

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » November 8th, 2016, 11:38 am

serpenteer wrote:Would like to request a TA board please. serpenteer

Yep, me too. On TMF it appears thus: 'Investors' Roundtable / Technical Analysis'

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » November 8th, 2016, 11:45 am

Hey folks. Can you hold fire on new board requests for now please - especially repeat requests. Last night I put together a new structure with many additional boards which Stooz will implement tonight. If I get the chance I'll post a summary of it first, but have other things I need to do in real life first :)

Thanks again for all your enthusiasm, encouragement a day support.

Clariman

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » November 8th, 2016, 2:13 pm

Anniel wrote: I think that the Computer board will be well used if we go by HWTBC on TMF and I think a separate Apple Board would be a good idea, but I do know that Rome was not built in a day..so I will wait.

Too many boards can lead to some becoming quiet backwaters. These days technologies are merging - you can run Windows 10 on a Mac, Bash code in a Windows 10 Powershell and the MS Poweshell on Linux. Time I think for the boards to reflect this convergence. One Board to Fix Them All?

I for one would welcome seeing Apple questions on the Computer and Phones board - as a life-long MS geek I might learn something new!

foundone
Lemon Pip

Postby foundone » November 8th, 2016, 2:59 pm

I'd like a board for contractors finances which may be just for PSCs or Umbrellas as well. There is constantly changing legislation in this area such as Dividend Tax which has a serious impact on contractors.

Just saw the request to hold fire, sorry!!

amh4

Postby amh4 » November 8th, 2016, 4:26 pm

PennyUK wrote:
Tortoise1000 wrote:Your Tomorrow Starts Today, please, under 'Managing Your Finances'

Can I second Tortoise's request for "Your Tomorrow Starts Today" please.

And may I add my name to that. request please

Anne-Marie

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » November 8th, 2016, 5:38 pm

Thank you for all your suggestions and requests. Having reviewed them last night, I have published the list of our proposed revised board structure, here viewtopic.php?f=21&t=234 . Please continue discussions or comments on that thread rather than here. Stooz hopes to implement this tonight. Many thanks

Grumpi
Lemon Pip

Postby Grumpi » November 9th, 2016, 3:01 pm

Perhaps the TMF Grumpy Old Fools ex Grumpy Old Men could be reincarnated as
Grumpy New Lemonfools?
No that doesn't sound right.
Grumpy Old Lemonfools. No?
well something like that anyway.
yours
still
Grumpi ;-(

penym
Lemon Pip

Postby penym » November 9th, 2016, 4:42 pm

Can we have a Genealogy / Family History Board please? Although it is not the most used board there are people there who have given beginners and real amateurs very good advice.

I have been a grateful recipient and Genealogy is a growing hobby in UK.

Anniel

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » November 9th, 2016, 5:14 pm

Grumpi wrote:Grumpy New Lemonfools?
No that doesn't sound right.
Grumpy Old Lemonfools. No?

Sour Lemons?

Grumpi
Lemon Pip

Postby Grumpi » November 9th, 2016, 5:59 pm

gryffron wrote:
Sour Lemons?

Sour lemons might describe the posters but not the content - that would be more likely Sour grapes

Yours
Still
Grumpi ;-)

desmid

Postby desmid » November 10th, 2016, 3:27 am

Another vote for:

"International - Expat Investors"

Rob625
Lemon Pip

Postby Rob625 » November 12th, 2016, 7:52 am

Riddles and Brain Teasers (in Fool Cafe)

I think Cinelli has requested this to Clariman in private. I'd like to second the request. It's a rather quiet board, but much loved by a small group of regulars.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » November 12th, 2016, 8:59 am

Rob625 wrote:Riddles and Brain Teasers (in Fool Cafe)

I think Cinelli has requested this to Clariman in private. I'd like to second the request. It's a rather quiet board, but much loved by a small group of regulars.

I'll echo this as well. The board structure here doesn't look ideal from the point of view of reading a puzzle but not being counted as having read people's subsequently-posted solutions (so that you can take some time to try to come up with a solution yourself and then come back and read what others have done), but I'm sure people can live with that...

But I do recognise that it's enough of a minority interest and low-traffic that it might well not really merit a forum of its own in the current somewhat 'collapsed' structure. If so, perhaps a broader-topic forum in "Interests - Culture, Leisure, Food and Nature" to cover not just riddles and other puzzles, but also games and any other brain-challenging leisure activities. This would allow a number of other low-traffic boards on TMF to be covered, in a way that might well be rather better at making people aware that such boards exist at all.

The word "games" is a potential problem in two ways. One is its possible use for physical sports such as football, cricket and tennis - I think a note along the lines of "for physical sports, please use the Sports Bar" might be in order. The other is computer games, especially the shoot-em-up type: there isn't all that much common ground between them and e.g. chess. I think dealing with that can be left to topic discipline, with the potential to create subforums if it does prove a problem - I think this is probably the general idea of how the Sports Bar has been set up?

So my suggestion for a broader forum would be "Games, Puzzles and Riddles", with a second line "for physical sports, please use the Sports Bar".

Gengulphus

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Broker Specific Boards

Postby mc2fool » November 12th, 2016, 12:57 pm

On TMF there were a number of broker specific boards, being Alliance Trust Savings, Barclays Stockbrokers, Halifax Sharebuilder, Selftrade Products & Services, and the now historical Fastrade Products. Most are low volume, having 900-1500 posts in them, with only the Selftrade board having more at 17000 posts.

So, the question is what to do about those on TLF? The obvious (and only?) options are (a) create equivalent new boards here, (b) create broker specific subforums under the Brokers and Share Dealing forum, or (c) do nothing and leave folks to just use the Brokers and Share Dealing forum.

My personal preference is (b), subforums under Brokers and Share Dealing, as it's nice to have things compartmentalised and not have to plough through broker specific posts for one that you don't use...

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » November 13th, 2016, 10:04 am

Under the "sectors & general shares" heading at TMF, there's a lowish-traffic but far from moribund board titled "Renewable Energy & Fuel Cells". I just posted there, because there's no such board yet here.

It would be good to see that, or close equivalent, resurrected at the Lemon Fool. Thanks.

crazycoops

Postby crazycoops » November 13th, 2016, 11:55 am

If possible, it would be great if the archived board Inside Plastic Tortoise could be rescued for prosterity. It has a wealth of investing wisdom that is good to reference from time to time.

Julian
Lemon Quarter

Re: Broker Specific Boards

Postby Julian » November 13th, 2016, 11:57 am

mc2fool wrote:On TMF there were a number of broker specific boards, being Alliance Trust Savings, Barclays Stockbrokers, Halifax Sharebuilder, Selftrade Products & Services, and the now historical Fastrade Products. Most are low volume, having 900-1500 posts in them, with only the Selftrade board having more at 17000 posts.

So, the question is what to do about those on TLF? The obvious (and only?) options are (a) create equivalent new boards here, (b) create broker specific subforums under the Brokers and Share Dealing forum, or (c) do nothing and leave folks to just use the Brokers and Share Dealing forum.

My personal preference is (b), subforums under Brokers and Share Dealing, as it's nice to have things compartmentalised and not have to plough through broker specific posts for one that you don't use...

I also think that (b) is far and away the most logical and best option. In general I don't particularly like subforums but in this case it makes complete sense to keep all the broker stuff neat and tidy and self contained.

- Julian

spock

Postby spock » November 15th, 2016, 10:09 am

Could I second (or third?) the request for a generic macro/economy board under the "Sectors and General Shares" area? Somewhere to place the discussions around investing with a view on general macro trends, rather than specific shares or sectors. A bit of "Paulypilot's Macro" and "Bert's Investors Sanctuary" (which was originally an offshoot of PPP), maybe named something like Global Macro Trends, so that it's not a 'personal' board.

There's another board called "Economy" under "polite debate and discussion", which seems at risk of being hijacked for this macro investing purpose, but I think that area has a focus on politics and debate, rather than investing.

Thanks!

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”