Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Requests for specific Motley Fool UK boards to be added

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
robbelg
Lemon Slice

Re: Requests for specific Motley Fool UK boards to be added

Postby robbelg » November 20th, 2016, 3:20 pm

Clariman wrote:How about a Companies board with a topic for each company discussed?

That's pretty much what's already happening on the "Share Ideas" board in "Sectors & General Shares"

Degsy67
2 Lemon pips

Postby Degsy67 » November 20th, 2016, 5:40 pm

Peer to Peer Lending discussion has broken out on the Current Account & Savings board as I feared previously. I suggest this is setup as a distinct board and existing threads are moved to the new board.

Degsy

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » November 20th, 2016, 5:57 pm

Degsy67 wrote:Peer to Peer Lending discussion has broken out on the Current Account & Savings board as I feared previously. I suggest this is setup as a distinct board and existing threads are moved to the new board.

Degsy

Does it really matter? The current account board on TMF wasn't used that much so having the three together seems OK?

Mel

touchnotthecat

Postby touchnotthecat » November 20th, 2016, 6:47 pm

Property investment and Buy to let - not sure what the boards were on TMF

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » November 20th, 2016, 8:45 pm

touchnotthecat wrote:Property investment and Buy to let - not sure what the boards were on TMF

Try http://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=13.

Gengulphus

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » November 21st, 2016, 11:19 pm

Can we have a 'Books' board please

wheypat
Lemon Slice

Postby wheypat » November 22nd, 2016, 8:04 am

Instead of Grumpy Old Lemmons/Fools/Men, how about Sour Lemons?

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Postby NomoneyNohoney » December 11th, 2016, 1:25 pm

:P :P :P :P :P

"Yes" to Sour Lemons...

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » December 13th, 2016, 7:38 pm

Can I specifically request that we do not have a board called LOST.

I confess that I did enjoy my time on LOST, but there is a implicit prommise that ANY serious topic will be allowed with no postings being "moderated" or censered.

It is natural that people feel strongly about serious topics, in the past they have been willing to die for them. Naturally posters are blunt and abraisive.
"Moderation", well let us be honest censorship, is a nightmare. Without "moderation" evidence shows that chain reactions lead to a meltdown. Yet, censorship, in any form (ie go to MET), denies the importance of the "serious topic".

Ps, the link of moderation and censorship I hope should be viewed specific to LOST, though I did experience it on other TMF boards. Ie a thread asking about pensions on HYP where I postulated spreading risks by having investment that were not equity based. Yes I believe it WAS censored, not moderated.

PPS sorry for any spelling mistakes or grammer errors.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » December 13th, 2016, 7:45 pm

Urbandreamer wrote:Can I specifically request that we do not have a board called LOST.

I confess that I did enjoy my time on LOST, but there is a implicit prommise that ANY serious topic will be allowed with no postings being "moderated" or censered. ...

There is no board called LOST and there is every indication there won't be. What we have available is:

"Polite Debate & Discussion" viewforum.php?f=47 which presently contains the sub forums "The Economy" and "Polite Discussions High levels of moderation".

Clariman's views may be found in the locked Topic here viewtopic.php?f=63&t=959 which commences:

"This Board was called "polite discussions" in order to set the tone for debate that we expected. In particular, lemonfool did not wish to replicate TMF's LoST board. However, the topics, the polemic, the ad hominem attacks and general standard of discussion here are not appropriate to this site. ..."

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » December 14th, 2016, 12:59 pm

Urbandreamer wrote:"Moderation", well let us be honest censorship, ...
Ps, the link of moderation and censorship I hope should be viewed specific to LOST, though I did experience it on other TMF boards. Ie a thread asking about pensions on HYP where I postulated spreading risks by having investment that were not equity based. Yes I believe it WAS censored, not moderated.

No, there is a big difference between moderation and censorship that is relevant here. Censorship is an attempt to prevent discussion of something happening anywhere, while one form of moderation is to tell you that you need to discuss it in the right place. As long as a "right place" is provided, that's not censorship: it's just requiring posters to post where readers who are interested in the posts can find them and readers who aren't interested in them aren't bothered by them.

On TMF, the "High Yield - HYP Practical" board's topic was "running a HYP in practice" and it was quite specifically not about:

* Running anything other than a HYP (and its definition of a HYP was quite clear that HYPs are invested in shares), so running investments that were not equity-based was not included;

* Issues of what strategy is best - so whether a "HYP + non-equity-based investments" strategy was better than a "HYP only" one was also not included.

But either the "High Yield - Share Strategies" board or the "Investment Strategies" board would have been a perfectly good place for you to post instead, and so telling you "No, you can't post that on High Yield - HYP Practical" was just moderation, not censorship.

Having said that, I strongly suspect that in practice, there will be censorship of some topics on this site. As you indicate, there are some topics about which too many people only seem to be able to be blunt and abrasive. Those can potentially lead to legal battles about defamation - and stooz and Clariman have made it very clear that even the faintest whiff of such a legal issue will make them pull the posts (and clearly that means from anywhere on the site - allowing them on some boards and not others doesn't deal with that reason for pulling them). The net result is that I suspect there will be topics that simply cannot be discussed sensibly on this site.

However, I'm not worried about that censorship, because there are many other places where such issues can be discussed. Indeed, anyone here can set such a site up themselves - stooz and Clariman have recently demonstrated that it's quite feasible to do such a thing! The only difference is a very minor one as far as the site's users are concerned, but a crucial one for the person who sets up the site: that person bears the legal risk rather than stooz and Clariman...

Gengulphus

midnightcatprowl
Lemon Slice

Postby midnightcatprowl » December 14th, 2016, 6:14 pm

Code: Select all

Can we have a 'Books' board please

Yes please and, if so, could the old TMF 'Book Club' run its discussions as threads in the Books Board? This suggestion is to help avoid having too many separate boards but members of Book Club from TMF have been gathering on Lemon Fool and we are anxious to nominate and vote on some new books to read.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » December 16th, 2016, 3:32 pm

midnightcatprowl wrote:Yes please and, if so, could the old TMF 'Book Club' run its discussions as threads in the Books Board? This suggestion is to help avoid having too many separate boards but members of Book Club from TMF have been gathering on Lemon Fool and we are anxious to nominate and vote on some new books to read.

It may be an idea, for the time-being, to ask Lemonfool (I don't know how to do that other than sending a PM to stooz or Clariman who must, however, be inundated) if they can add "Books" to "Music, Theatre, TV and Film" in the "Interests - Culture, Leisure , Food and Nature" Forum, such that you can, at least, commence a Books Topic there.

Which you can, of course, whether or not Books is in the title. Radio already has a Topic ...

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » December 16th, 2016, 4:12 pm

Daytona wrote:As I enjoy helping people who have a particular issue, but are otherwise disinterested in a topic, perhaps we could have an easy to find set of boards, available immediately from the front page. I can't see any such board for finance -

Help! - Investents and Financial Products
Help! - DIY
etc

I guess it's all about catering for different audiences.

--
Daytona

We have this in the Lemon-Aid group of boards already. This is similar to "Helpful Fools" on TMF

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » December 16th, 2016, 4:18 pm

Moderator Message:
Locking this topic. In the process of finalising enhanced board structure

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”