Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Bread and toast

incorporating Recipes and Cooking
Corvid

Bread and toast

Postby Corvid » December 24th, 2016, 6:35 pm

I have recently taking to baking my own bread which is great EIIDSIM.

DAK why it doesn't toast as quickly as chorleywood?

We are in a holiday cottage for Xmas and we brought the last piece of bread with us that I baked on Wednesday 21/12/16. On Saturday 24/12/16 I put a slice in the toaster with a slice of chorleywood with a best before date of 25/12/16. My bread was a bit thicker but the chorleywood was toasted and my bread was not. Do they add something to the chorleywood that makes it toast quicker? sugar?

Corvid

midnightcatprowl
Lemon Slice

Re: Bread and toast

Postby midnightcatprowl » December 27th, 2016, 12:30 pm

I'd say that my homemade bread toasts slower too.

I suspect various factors are operating including the density of the bread, how much moisture it contains, plus the thickness of the slice. It might look at first sight as if a thick slice would toast more quickly being nearer to the toasting surfaces, but presumably things such as moisture evaporating out of the interior of the slice will act to slow the browning of the surface and there will be more moisture in a thicker slice?

Yes I'd think too that 'Chorleywood' will contain more sugar which will help it burn faster! But the list of ingredients for most 'Chorleywood' bread is long often including things such as soya which few people would add to homemade bread which may in turn affect the toasting rate.

Stompa
Lemon Slice

Postby Stompa » December 29th, 2016, 8:33 pm

My favourite bread for toasting (not homemade I'm afraid) is M&S San Francisco sourdough. It too seems to take a ridiculously long time to toast, and I assume that's also down to a lack of sugar.

Stompa

JohnnyCyclops
Lemon Slice

Postby JohnnyCyclops » January 1st, 2017, 4:30 pm

Corvid wrote:I have recently taking to baking my own bread which is great EIIDSIM.

DAK why it doesn't toast as quickly as chorleywood?

We are in a holiday cottage for Xmas and we brought the last piece of bread with us that I baked on Wednesday 21/12/16. On Saturday 24/12/16 I put a slice in the toaster with a slice of chorleywood with a best before date of 25/12/16. My bread was a bit thicker but the chorleywood was toasted and my bread was not. Do they add something to the chorleywood that makes it toast quicker? sugar?

Corvid

I think it will be sugar. I've recently been making a Milk Loaf, that uses Golden Syrup in place of sugar, and has further natural sugars from the milk. The finished loaf has a yellowish close crumb to it, and toasts to a lovely golden colour. Whereas my standard wholemeal (67% white, 33% wholemeal) or sourdough, do toast, but take a bit longer.

The Milk Loaf recipe came from Dan Lepard's 'Homemade Loaf' book. A quick Google found this similar (but not exact) version on the Guardian. https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... dan-lepard

Return to “Food”