Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to lansdown,Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08, for Donating to support the site

Cheese fair

incorporating Recipes and Cooking
UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Cheese fair

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 18th, 2023, 8:55 pm

Any Fools in or near West Devon might be interested in the return for the first time since lockdown of our Cheese Fair. Organised by our fantastic cheese shop, it presents a fantastic opportunity for cheese lovers to meet the producers and learn about the industry, as well as to sample a huge range of cheeses.

Venue is Tavistock Town Hall, and it's on tomorrow (Saturday) 9-5, and Sunday 10-4. I know many (most) of the cheeses, but I shall enjoy sampling yet more, and there's doubtless more to learn.

One thing that's slightly unusual is how local almost all of the cheeses are. Very few of the cheeses are from outside the four counties of southwest England (Devon, Cornwall, Somerset, Dorset). Two notable (and delicious) exceptions are their longstanding "foreign" cheese, a Stilton, and the more recent discovery of the superb Baron Bigod from the distant East.

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Re: Cheese fair

Postby stewamax » August 19th, 2023, 9:22 pm

Which Stilton?

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: Cheese fair

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 20th, 2023, 12:27 am

stewamax wrote:Which Stilton?

Sorry, can't remember the name. It's (I think) three stiltons from the same dairy (regular, organic, and extra-creamy), but they're not our local delicacy.

For my money, their most exciting range of blue cheeses are from Ticklemore dairy, near Totnes. Their "Devon Blue" doesn't turn me on - too salty for my taste - but its goats milk and sheeps milk counterparts (Harbourne and Beenleigh blues) are among my somewhat-regulars, and there's a gorgeous easy-going cows milk blue called Blue Bay made, I think, exclusively for our cheese shop.

Anyway, today was a disappointment. After preparing myself by limiting breakfast to tea and an apple, I went there late morning, only to be put off by a long, long queue to get in. I guess, pent up demand after lockdown. Went instead at 4pm, by which time the queue had gone, but I'd had lunch and was in a less receptive state, and the exhibits were thinner on the ground after such a busy day. Still, I got a few samples that were new to me.

Return to “Food”