Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Rediscovered slow cooker cooking - any easy recipies

incorporating Recipes and Cooking
raybarrow
Lemon Slice

Rediscovered slow cooker cooking - any easy recipies

Postby raybarrow » August 30th, 2023, 9:39 am

Hi Folks,
When we were a lot younger, child free and both working we used the slow cooker a lot. As time went on we used it less and less and did more and more convential cooking with a vegetarian then daughter in the mix. Now retired and 'getting on a bit', children settled and all that. Haven't got the enthusiasm to cook 'exotic' stuff with lots of ingredients and processess. So tried the slow cooker approch again with real meat and chicken and packet mixes. Very nice.
So we are looking for easy, throw it all in type of recipies. We are better in the morning, I make bread then, so OK to do some prep but not to spend an hour doing it. We fade as the day wears on so having the meal mostly ready later in the day is very welcome.

We don't eat prawns, shellfish but otherwise fairly catholic in our tastes.
Any suggestions welcome,
Cheers,
Ray.

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Re: Rediscovered slow cooker cooking - any easy recipies

Postby Urbandreamer » August 30th, 2023, 9:50 am

I have gone the other way, having the time to put the effort in.

My difficulty is the number of people, and the fact that my wife has no interest in food, though she does eat it.

Anyway, I like this recipe, but it doesn't really work for two people. It is easy, but benefits from deciding to actually do it in advance.

https://www.recipetineats.com/one-pot-g ... emon-rice/

Sure it's not a slow cooker recipe, but I'm sure that you could easily adapt it.

raybarrow
Lemon Slice

Postby raybarrow » August 30th, 2023, 10:07 am

Hi Urbandreamer,
Looks ok. As you say sure that could be adapted. I'm happy to casserole but went with the slow cooker as it's obviously so much cheaper and the timing is not so important, an extra hour or two no problem. When the recipie is suitable we generaly cook for four or more and freeze the extra in batches ready to go. Defrost, add rice, pasta or a few veg at meal times is not a problem.

Didn't say but recipies using frozen veg make life even easier.

Cheers,
Ray.

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » August 30th, 2023, 10:33 am

raybarrow wrote:When the recipie is suitable we generaly cook for four or more and freeze the extra in batches ready to go. Defrost, add rice, pasta or a few veg at meal times is not a problem.

Didn't say but recipies using frozen veg make life even easier.

Cheers,
Ray.

Ah. There are LOT's of recipes that works badly for, including the one that I linked too. I really wouldn't recommend freezing the leftovers. They would have a horrid texture. The leftover chicken though is great in sandwiches the following day.

On that subject, be very careful with the herbs that you use. I had a great vegie soup recipe that contained walnuts and tarragon. We froze some and the tarragon flavor continued to develop in the freezer!

Oh, assuming that you either use an android tablet or smartphone can I recommend my favorite recipe manager app, Paprika. I'm not affiliated so recommend doing a search of the likes of Youtube for reviews and opinions. It's great for importing and managing recipes from the web.

I'm currently making this sourdough rye bread
https://heartbeetkitchen.com/rye-sourdo ... ad-recipe/
but using the recipe and timers on my phone.

Re frozen veg, I use some as well. However my reason is that the likes of frozen peas are vastly better than fresh. I use tinned tomatoes and puree for the same reason.

Re freezing, pulled pork is great for this. I use a pressure cooker and don't have a slow cooker, but this recipe is great.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/pull ... itas_70985

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 30th, 2023, 10:48 am

Is it a single-function slow cooker, or a multi-function device?

Mine is the latter, which is extremely convenient for soups and casseroles of the kind where you pre-fry some ingredients (e.g. onion/garlic/chilli and other spices) before adding the main ingredient(s) and slow-cooking. With a single-function device you'd lose that convenience.

The current early-autumn season isn't the most abundant: we're past peak season for summer recipes like tomato-and-basil or pea-and-mint, but not quite into later autumn's big, spicy pumpkin/squash recipes or winter's root veg. But one can still always enjoy recipes like, erm, that perennial favourite leftovers.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » August 30th, 2023, 11:12 am

Here's three ideas I have enjoyed. A pork shoulder, slow roasted with a couple of sauted onions, crushed garlic, a tin of tomatoes, a cup of apple or pineapple juice, teaspooon or two of mild chilli powder and papricka, a few tablespoons each of soy/worcestershire sauce, sugar, and vinegar. I'm not much of a recipe person so juggle quantities on taste and add or remove flavours to suit just make sure it is wet enough to handle 6 hours low and slow but not swimming at the end of the process The pork should shred and can be served with rice or tacos. Used to dress tortillas or chips/wedges.

Chicken thighs with preserved lemons, served with cous cous.
A bit like this idea https://www.thespicehouse.com/blogs/rec ... -and-olive

Carne con chilli made with stewing steak rather than mince and chili peppers/powder, tinned tomatoes, beans, borlotti, pinto or kidney, garlic, onions, and cumin. Can be served with rice or tacos or used to dress tortillas or chips/wedges.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » August 30th, 2023, 11:18 am

Beef (chuck, gravy beef, brisket type stuff), bottle of stout, carrots, onion, one or two chopped up sticks of celery and an oxo cube

- serve with spuds
- or make a pie

fisher
Lemon Slice

Postby fisher » August 30th, 2023, 11:55 am

Here's a simple one I use regularly. One issue can be that the gristly bits of the chicken thighs can be a bit of a "surprise" when you eat them if you don't remove them before putting the chicken thighs in, but it depends how fussy you are - I usually just put up with it for convenience in preparation. I don't usually bother with the Coriander. The cumin seeds are worth getting for this dish they make a big difference. They are readily available in indian supermarkets or via ebay or amazon.

Chicken Thigh Curry in Slow Cooker

Total Cooking time 4½ (for chopped chicken thighs) to 5 ½ hours (for whole chicken thighs)

1 Kg chicken thighs skinned (can also be boned and chopped – if so, then reduce chicken cooking time by 1 hour)
75g Red Lentils rinsed and drained
1½ tbsp Mild Curry powder
2 tsp Coriander powder
1 tsp Cumin Seeds
250ml Chicken Stock
160g chopped onions
350g of Spinach
Fresh Coriander (chopped)

Put the lentils in the slow cooker, add the onions, curry powder, coriander powder, cumin seeds and chicken stock. Cook for 1 hour on high and 1 on low.
Add the chicken thighs (straight from fridge) and press well down or stir in.
Cook for 1 hour on high and 1 on low (add another hour or so for whole chicken thighs)
Add Spinach (if using frozen then defrost first and drain) and cook for another ½ hour.
Add the chopped coriander and add salt and pepper to taste, stir well and serve.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » August 30th, 2023, 12:23 pm

Really Easy - Deliah's Coq au Vin.

500g pack of Chicken legs or thighs, cut an onion into 8ths, crush a couple of garlic cloves, a small pack of smoked bacon Lardons and a chopped stock cube.

Shove it all in, no faffing with searing the meat or softening the onions - I used to to that but don't bother now and can't taste the difference.

Put a couple of tablespoons of flour in a jug, add enough cheapish French wine (own brand VdP, not the really cheap £4.50 stuff) to make a paste, then thin it out with more wine, add it to the slow cooker and tip in the rest of the bottle. Put a medium sprig of Thyme on top and leave it for a couple of hours. At this point check the seasoning, add some button mushrooms and start thinking about putting the spuds and veg on the hob, and 20-30 min later you're good to go.

Another one is Beef cheeks in 1.5 inch cubes, 1 or 2 onions, inch thick (or long!) carrot slices, stock cube, salt and pepper, good squirt of tom puree, water to cover (might need 2 stock cubes, depends on the cube and amount of water). Leave it for circa 3 hours on high. Freezes OK apart from the carrots go a bit mushy. 30 min from the end you can make some dumplings (Suet, flour, water, dried herbs, salt) and drop them in.

Paul

Dicky99
Lemon Slice

Postby Dicky99 » August 30th, 2023, 12:49 pm

Hearty beef stew :-

- 400g cubed stewing beef, quickly brown in a hot frying pan then into slow cooker.
- fist sized onion, chopped and fried to brown before putting into slow cooker.
- add a chopped red pepper, 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce, 2 tbsps tomato paste.
- mix 2 tbsp plain flour into 300ml beef stock and pour onto ingredients and give a good stir.
- add 1 or 2 Bay leaves depending on their size
- sprinkle of black pepper to your taste
- cook on medium heat for about 3 hours
- remove lid and cook on high heat for a further hour stirring occasionally until it's unctuous in texture.
- add a cup of garden peas 15 mins or so before you're ready to serve.

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » August 30th, 2023, 2:06 pm

DrFfybes wrote:Really Easy - Deliah's Coq au Vin.
Paul

Another possibility, if you are not a pureist is her poor mans cassoulet.
https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/int ... -cassoulet

The traditional has a crust, charred in the oven. The breadcrumbs were already a bodge to cut cooking time. You could do it in a slow cooker and top with fried croutons, as long as you don't call it cassoulet.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » August 30th, 2023, 2:24 pm

Urbandreamer wrote:
DrFfybes wrote:Really Easy - Deliah's Coq au Vin.
Paul

Another possibility, if you are not a pureist is her poor mans cassoulet.
https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/int ... -cassoulet

The traditional has a crust, charred in the oven. The breadcrumbs were already a bodge to cut cooking time. You could do it in a slow cooker and top with fried croutons, as long as you don't call it cassoulet.

I have recently been using a blow torch to put a crust on things I cook in the microwave or to melt cheese when serving rather than popping the plates under the grill.

formoverfunction
Lemon Slice

Postby formoverfunction » August 30th, 2023, 7:12 pm

I've got several slow cookers, as well as a crockpot express https://crockpot.co.uk/products/CSC051X/ that slow cooks, steams, and is good as a rice cooker.

recipes: https://crockpot.co.uk/recipes/

I recently acquired a discounted wonderbag which I've enjoyed using https://www.wonderbagworld.com/ which works on a 10 minute rapid boil and then slow cooking in the bag.

recipes: https://www.wonderbagworld.com/recipes

For those interested in exploring thermal, haybox, cooking I found these sites useful:

https://thermalcooker.wordpress.com/cat ... rs/haybox/

recipes:

https://thermalcooker.wordpress.com/cat ... cipes-all/

I am sure many of the dishes could easily be used for conventional electric slow cookers! :D

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » August 30th, 2023, 7:35 pm

raybarrow wrote:
When we were a lot younger, child free and both working we used the slow cooker a lot.

As time went on we used it less and less and did more and more conventional cooking with a vegetarian then daughter in the mix.

Now retired and 'getting on a bit', children settled and all that. Haven't got the enthusiasm to cook 'exotic' stuff with lots of ingredients and processes.

So tried the slow cooker approach again with real meat and chicken and packet mixes. Very nice.

So we are looking for easy, throw it all in type of recipes. We are better in the morning, I make bread then, so OK to do some prep but not to spend an hour doing it.

This makes the best slow-cooker spare ribs I've ever tasted Ray.

I literally get begged to make them more often...

Slow Cooker Chinese Spare Ribs -

https://butteryourbiscuit.com/slow-cooker-chinese-spare-ribs/#recipe

I do it all to the recipe, except I don't bother with the marinading, and I don't bother with the glazing under the grill at the end - I just thicken some of the sauce and pour it back over the ribs and whatever else is on the plate before serving, which usually means Morrisons triple-cooked chunky chips for us...

I also slightly adjust the liquid elements to suit the UK supermarket jar sizes, so 75ml of Light Soy Sauce (half a 150ml jar), 100ml of Honey, and 95ml Hoisin (half a 290g jar), which means I can get two separate lots out of the jars of Soy and Hoisin...

I can guarantee that it'll go down a storm with some freshly baked bread for dipping into that sauce at the end...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » August 30th, 2023, 8:06 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:Slow Cooker Chinese Spare Ribs -

https://butteryourbiscuit.com/slow-cook ... bs/#recipe

I do it all to the recipe, except I don't bother with the marinading, and I don't bother with the glazing under the grill at the end - I just thicken some of the sauce and pour it back over the ribs and whatever else is on the plate before serving, which usually means Morrisons triple-cooked chunky chips for us...

I like the look of that, we do a long slow ribs recipe at home that involves boiling the ribs first before glazing baking and finally grilling, it is quite labour intensive. I like the look of our version where you just throw it all in. I would tweak the recipe as SO is anti hoisin. And get you with your fancy chips.

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » August 30th, 2023, 8:41 pm

formoverfunction wrote:For those interested in exploring thermal, haybox, cooking I found these sites useful:

AH, that takes me back. FWIW, I use a "food thermos flask" to prepare some ingredients. Boil for an hour! Forget it. Boil for 10 min if you think that it needs it to denature poisons, then drop in the flask and forget about providing heat until needed.

To be honest, a "slow cooker" just acts as a compact haybox.

Ps, I'm talking dried pulses, peas beans etc. Next time you see a packet of dried pulses for soup, read the instructions.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » August 31st, 2023, 6:58 am

kempiejon wrote:
I like the look of your [ribs] version where you just throw it all in. I would tweak the recipe as SO is anti hoisin.

And get you with your fancy chips.

Joking aside - the chips really are a key part of the meal for us.

The best ribs we've regularly eaten as a family over the years have been from a fairly local pub, and a big part of the pub-meal was always having good, freshly-made crusty bread and really chunky chips to help soak all the brilliant sticky sauce up, and so finding the right chips to use at home has actually been as big a long-term exercise as finding a good recipe for the ribs themselves.

What 's put on the table now is as close as I think we're ever likely to get to that authentic pub-meal, and the results always go down a storm so I'll be interested to hear what you think if you give it a go.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

formoverfunction
Lemon Slice

Postby formoverfunction » August 31st, 2023, 7:17 am

Urbandreamer wrote:
formoverfunction wrote:For those interested in exploring thermal, haybox, cooking I found these sites useful:

AH, that takes me back. FWIW, I use a "food thermos flask" to prepare some ingredients. Boil for an hour! Forget it. Boil for 10 min if you think that it needs it to denature poisons, then drop in the flask and forget about providing heat until needed.

To be honest, a "slow cooker" just acts as a compact haybox.

Ps, I'm talking dried pulses, peas beans etc. Next time you see a packet of dried pulses for soup, read the instructions.

---it's kind of amazing when you discover the concept. I was quite nervous the first time I cooked like it. But I managed to make a spicy dish that consisted mainly of tomatoes, potatoes and kidney beans (tinned) and it came out wonderfully. The next thing was a jackfruit and banana curry! I fry my onions, anything else that needs browning, then a rapid boil for 10 minutes before leaving in the wonderbag for hours. I have a small cottage in Devon that only has a single large kitchen window, so it's cold in the winter if you need to ventilate. Thermal cooking means very limited steam, otherwise I just use my trusted crockpots. Lovely big, but impractical fireplace, very limited ventilation options. I understand thermal cooking has caught on with canal boaters.

The http://www.saratogajacks.com/ look amazing fun for beach trip and camping from the back of my old Defender.

Baked, thermal, potatoes https://youtu.be/KgYb_CIPvtI?feature=shared not sure!

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 31st, 2023, 10:29 am

Better still, improvised slow cooker I saw someone using in Iceland, near Geyser ....

Robust metal pot with strongly-clasped-on lid: reminded me of my mum's old pressure cooker. Secured carefully with robust string. And immersed in natural boiling-temperature hot springs. Though not the one that famously regularly erupts!

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » August 31st, 2023, 10:48 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:Better still, improvised slow cooker I saw someone using in Iceland, near Geyser ....

Robust metal pot with strongly-clasped-on lid: reminded me of my mum's old pressure cooker. Secured carefully with robust string. And immersed in natural boiling-temperature hot springs. Though not the one that famously regularly erupts!

Certainly more palatable than one of their shark recipes I've heard of.

And on unconventional ovens... this did the rounds over here a few years back and stuck with me: https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/matt-moran-cooks-lamb-in-a-hot-car-to-show-danger-to-children-locked-inside-20151204-glf7xn.html

Return to “Food”