Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Fat Free Salad Dressing

incorporating Recipes and Cooking
Generali
2 Lemon pips

Fat Free Salad Dressing

Postby Generali » November 13th, 2016, 8:14 am

Mrs Generali has just be diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and has been told to moderate her intake of fats and oils so I made her a fat free salad dressing and thought I'd share as diabetes is increasingly common and so the chances are that plenty of (Lemon) Fools will have it or be cooking for someone that has it.

It's dead simple if you have a blender. It's a slightly adapted Jamie recipe:

500ml pot natural fat free yogurt
1 decent bunch herbs (I used basil but I reckon chervil or even chives would be really nice too)
1 lemon
Salt & Pepper

Zest and juice the lemon and strip the herb leaves off the stalks. Zhuzsh it all together with the yogurt for 30 seconds in a blender and Robert's your parent's brother! She really liked it.

CatcheeMonkee
Lemon Pip

Re: Fat Free Salad Dressing

Postby CatcheeMonkee » November 13th, 2016, 10:51 am

I'm so sorry to hear this, she will be gutted, as will you, I know.

I believe that others will come online with the same thoughts ... If you're diabetic what you need to minimise are sugars and carbohydrates. She'll still need energy, which will come from (more) fats and oils! As I understand it, anyway. Telling diabetics to base their meals around starches and eat more fruit sounds so wrong.

Diabetes can be reversed, have a look at https://thebloodsugardiet.com/ to start with, perhaps?

Good luck, perhaps starting a thread in Comfort Cafe about diabetes might stir much interesting debate?

Generali
2 Lemon pips

Postby Generali » November 14th, 2016, 8:35 am

CatcheeMonkee wrote:I'm so sorry to hear this, she will be gutted, as will you, I know.

I believe that others will come online with the same thoughts ... If you're diabetic what you need to minimise are sugars and carbohydrates. She'll still need energy, which will come from (more) fats and oils! As I understand it, anyway. Telling diabetics to base their meals around starches and eat more fruit sounds so wrong.

Diabetes can be reversed, have a look at https://thebloodsugardiet.com/ to start with, perhaps?

Good luck, perhaps starting a thread in Comfort Cafe about diabetes might stir much interesting debate?

The way it was explained to her by the dietitian in visit 1 of 6 is that yes, carbs and sugars need to be eaten in controlled amounts. Not eliminated or anything like eliminated, she needs to have 6 serves a day of carbohydrates. A serve is 1/2 a medium potato for example. Preferably the carbs would be unrefined (brown rice for example). Her initial reaction was to pretty much cut the carbs out and then had an unpleasant hypoglycemic thingy. Apparently most people when diagnosed with type 2 diabetes cut out most carbs for a few days and have a hypo! One of the things suggested is to have a small bag of jelly beans or similar to deal quickly and simply with any future hypo.

The reason for reducing the fat intake, according to the doctor, is to mitigate some of the effects that diabetes has on artery walls and blood flow.

Both her parents are diabetic so it was always incredibly likely she'd become one too. She's not done herself any lifestyle favours which has probably hastened its onset which is what she's addressing now. The doctor has said that she will always have diabetes but may not require medication if she sorts her lifestyle out. I think that's sometimes termed colloquially as 'reversing diabetes' but the doctor very specifically said that is a bit of a misunderstanding of the processes involved.

Thanks for the good wishes. It's annoying but I'm trying to use it to spur me into better habits too which for me is mostly eating more vegetables. I eat and enjoy veg but could eat more. The Aussie Government reckons I should have 6 veg portions and 2 of fruit.

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » January 1st, 2017, 3:12 pm

The most effective diet for controlling and often curing Type 2 diabetes consists mostly of whole grains, vegetables and fruit:

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/how-not ... -diabetes/

Weight loss also helps.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » January 2nd, 2017, 4:04 pm

after I found I had diabeted II, not quite deliverately because of tyat5 I took u8p immense amounts of activity starting with being a gy7jm bunny, and ending with "doing" long dtsiance endurance events includign triathlon. Due to the carb requirements of the endurance trasining I didn;t cut down really at all, but the sheer volume of excercise led me to "no oponger being diabetic" - said my GP.

Then I had to have a total right hip replacement... and am no loonger allowed to run post op...

didds

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » January 2nd, 2017, 6:30 pm

Just avoiding supermarket salad dressing takes you a good part of the way. Some of the so-called "low fat" dressings load up with salt and sugar, and so are still unhealthy.

I usually just make a basic vinaigrette dressing from high quality olive oil and balsamic vinegar. But a bit boring perhaps?

Generali
2 Lemon pips

Postby Generali » January 3rd, 2017, 10:59 am

Lootman wrote:Just avoiding supermarket salad dressing takes you a good part of the way. Some of the so-called "low fat" dressings load up with salt and sugar, and so are still unhealthy.

I usually just make a basic vinaigrette dressing from high quality olive oil and balsamic vinegar. But a bit boring perhaps?

I usually do the same although I'm more likely to use red wine vinegar plus mustard powder as an emulsifier (and it adds a nice flavour). The only time I use supermarket dressing is at someone else's BBQ and even then Mrs Generali suggests that as part of our offering we bring a salad dressing along!

Mrs Generali was specifically advised to reduce the fat in her diet and as the doctor did seven years longer studying medicine than I did I decided to trust her. The recipe came as the result of a bit of Googling and some playing in the kitchen.

Return to “Food”